• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Yes ive looked in the FAQ,. NOT HELPFULL , maybe i dont know how to use it, Yes ive used the search, it takes me to a bunch of people saying you can carry in banks but no IN law.
    My little brother is telling me there is federal law prohibiting cc or oc in banks. Can anyone point me to IC allowing carry in banks & any info of a fed law prohibbiting carry in banks. I sure would like to hand him his butox in this disagreement.
    thank you Samot

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Indiana law prohibits carrying firearms in certain places (except by law enforcement officials or security guards) such as school property, school buses, post offices, secure areas of airports, commercial or charter aircraft and riverboats.

There is no provision that prohibits you from carrying a weapon into a bank.

Edit: Unless it is a Federal Bank or any U.S. Government Property.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    TMK all that prohibits you from carrying in a bank is if they have a sign on their door.

... and technically, this does not prohibit you by law from carrying in there. They still HAVE to ask you to leave, and you would have to refuse for any trouble to come to you.

Signs in Indiana do not carry the weight of the law. In some states, if they have signage that complies with the law, you can be arrested for ignoring them. Indiana has no such law.

Also, when there is nothing on the books prohibiting you from doing something, you are free to do it. :)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The burden of proof is upon the person claiming some act is illegal.
    If true, there will be a law making it illegal which they should be able to cite.

If I claimed that drinking Pepsi was illegal, who would begin to refute me by looking for the law that allows you to?

(Don't bother looking...;))

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    The burden of proof is upon the person claiming some act is illegal.
    If true, there will be a law making it illegal which they should be able to cite.

If I claimed that drinking Pepsi was illegal, who would begin to refute me by looking for the law that allows you to?

(Don't bother looking...;))

WIN!

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Indiana law prohibits carrying firearms in certain places (except by law enforcement officials or security guards) such as school property, school buses, post offices, secure areas of airports, commercial or charter aircraft and riverboats.

There is no provision that prohibits you from carrying a weapon into a bank.

Edit: Unless it is a Federal Bank or any U.S. Government Property.
    Post offices are not prohibited by state law.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    ... and technically, this does not prohibit you by law from carrying in there. They still HAVE to ask you to leave, and you would have to refuse for any trouble to come to you.

Signs in Indiana do not carry the weight of the law. In some states, if they have signage that complies with the law, you can be arrested for ignoring them. Indiana has no such law.

Also, when there is nothing on the books prohibiting you from doing something, you are free to do it. :)

You are correct my friend :yesway: however I'd still think some liberal judge could flip it against you

Last edited:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    ok, first off thank you for all responces...
    so there is no IN law prohibiting carry in banks .....
    what about federal law, dont care that not all banks are federally owned.
    is there a federal law say firearms are prohibited in banks ?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Be careful with assuming that all they can do is ask you to leave. I have not seen the trespass law used this way very often, but it has been done.

§ 35-43-2-2. Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
    (2) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally refuses to leave the real property of another person after having been asked to leave by the other person or that person's agent;
    (3) accompanies another person in a vehicle, with knowledge that the other person knowingly or intentionally is exerting unauthorized control over the vehicle;
    (4) knowingly or intentionally interferes with the possession or use of the property of another person without the person's consent;
    (5) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the dwelling of another person without the person's consent;
    (6) knowingly or intentionally:
    (A) travels by train without lawful authority or the railroad carrier's consent; and
    (B) rides on the outside of a train or inside a passenger car, locomotive, or freight car, including a boxcar, flatbed, or container without lawful authority or the railroad carrier's consent;
    (7) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters or refuses to leave the property of another person after having been prohibited from entering or asked to leave the property by a law enforcement officer when the property is:
    (A) vacant or designated by a municipality or county enforcement authority to be abandoned property; and
    (B) subject to abatement under IC 32-30-6, IC 32-30-7, IC 32-30-8, IC 36-7-9, or IC 36-7-36 ; or
    (8) knowingly or intentionally enters the property of another person after being denied entry by a court order that has been issued to the person or issued to the general public by conspicuous posting on or around the premises in areas where a person can observe the order when the property:
    (A) has been designated by a municipality or county enforcement authority to be a vacant property or an abandoned property; and
    (B) is subject to an abatement order under IC 32-30-6, IC 32-30-7, IC 32-30-8, IC 36-7-9, or IC 36-7-36 ;
    commits criminal trespass, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if it is committed on a scientific research facility, on a key facility, on a facility belonging to a public utility (as defined in IC 32-24-1-5.9(a) ), on school property, or on a school bus or the person has a prior unrelated conviction for an offense under this section concerning the same property.
    (b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
    (1) personal communication, oral or written;
    (2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public; or
    (3) a hearing authority or court order under IC 32-30-6, IC 32-30-7, IC 32-30-8, IC 36-7-9, or IC 36-7-36.
    (c) A law enforcement officer may not deny entry to property or ask a person to leave a property under subsection (a)(7) unless there is reasonable suspicion that criminal activity has occurred or is occurring.
    (d) A person described in subsection (a)(7) violates subsection (a)(7) unless the person has the written permission of the owner, owner's agent, enforcement authority, or court to come onto the property for purposes of performing maintenance, repair, or demolition.
    (e) A person described in subsection (a)(8) violates subsection (a)(8) unless the court that issued the order denying the person entry grants permission for the person to come onto the property.
    (f) Subsections (a), (b), and (e) do not apply to the following:
    (1) A passenger on a train.
    (2) An employee of a railroad carrier while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (3) A law enforcement officer, firefighter, or emergency response personnel while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (4) A person going on railroad property in an emergency to rescue a person or animal from harm's way or to remove an object that the person reasonably believes poses an imminent threat to life or limb.
    (5) A person on the station grounds or in the depot of a railroad carrier:
    (A) as a passenger; or
    (B) for the purpose of transacting lawful business.
    (6) A:
    (A) person; or
    (B) person's:
    (i) family member;
    (ii) invitee;
    (iii) employee;
    (iv) agent; or
    (v) independent contractor;
    going on a railroad's right-of-way for the purpose of crossing at a private crossing site approved by the railroad carrier to obtain access to land that the person owns, leases, or operates.
    (7) A person having written permission from the railroad carrier to go on specified railroad property.
    (8) A representative of the Indiana department of transportation while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (9) A representative of the federal Railroad Administration while engaged in the performance of official duties.
    (10) A representative of the National Transportation Safety Board while engaged in the performance of official duties.

I have actually seen the statute used a couple of times, not for guns, but for people who brought alcohol into places that had a sign posted prohibiting it. In both cases the person went out of their way to agravate the situation and ended up charged. Yes, you can make all the macho statements you want, but I have seen it done and once you get charged you may be forced to spend a few grand to get back out of trouble, even if you are able to beat it in the end.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...is there a federal law say firearms are prohibited in banks ?

Although I have not read every single federal law in order to exhaustively disprove its existence, I have never seen any such thing referenced with any authority or cited.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I carry in my locally owned and operated bank every time I go in. If I ever see a sign banning legal carry, my meager funds will be withdrawn immediately and placed elsewhere. [Any loans will also be moved.] In the process I will tell them why.

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    I'm working at a bank right now as a Teller. A couple of weeks ago, a man came into our branch open carrying. I didn't even notice it, but I heard about it after he left; the other Tellers were freaking out at the sight of his pistol, even though he had done nothing wrong. We were talking about it after he left; they suggested that he was stupid, that he was breaking the law, etc. I said I believed that there was no law prohibiting guns in banks. The other Tellers disagreed, even if they were not able to quote any such law. This sort of resulted in a stalemate. They weren't able to point me to any law to prove that they were right, and I wasn't about to comb through every law to prove that there wasn't a law against it.

As a Teller, I can understand their fear. We are a frequently robbed branch in the area (sheisty side of town) and no one likes to think that they might have a gun pointed at them. I did not see any danger in that situation, but it obviously unsettled my fellow employees.

I know it's everyone's right to open carry if they desire (and it is of course legal), but as a friendly suggestion I would encourage conceal carrying if at all possible if you plan on going to a bank. Our job, believe it or not, is tough enough without having to worry about robbery. Plus, everyone will be having a bad day if a Teller sees a gun, freaks out and hits the silent alarm button.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom