• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Indiana law prohibits carrying firearms in certain places (except by law enforcement officials or security guards) such as school property, school buses, post offices, secure areas of airports, commercial or charter aircraft and riverboats.

There is no provision that prohibits you from carrying a weapon into a bank.

Edit: Unless it is a Federal Bank or any U.S. Government Property.

Indiana law makes no mention of carry at US Post offices. There are contradictory federal laws on carry at the Post office. However it is legal to ship a firearm from a post office.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm working at a bank right now as a Teller. A couple of weeks ago, a man came into our branch open carrying. I didn't even notice it, but I heard about it after he left; the other Tellers were freaking out at the sight of his pistol, even though he had done nothing wrong. We were talking about it after he left; they suggested that he was stupid, that he was breaking the law, etc. I said I believed that there was no law prohibiting guns in banks. The other Tellers disagreed, even if they were not able to quote any such law. This sort of resulted in a stalemate. They weren't able to point me to any law to prove that they were right, and I wasn't about to comb through every law to prove that there wasn't a law against it.

As a Teller, I can understand their fear. We are a frequently robbed branch in the area (sheisty side of town) and no one likes to think that they might have a gun pointed at them. I did not see any danger in that situation, but it obviously unsettled my fellow employees.

I know it's everyone's right to open carry if they desire (and it is of course legal), but as a friendly suggestion I would encourage conceal carrying if at all possible if you plan on going to a bank. Our job, believe it or not, is tough enough without having to worry about robbery. Plus, everyone will be having a bad day if a Teller sees a gun, freaks out and hits the silent alarm button.

insult removed by VUPDblue

I open carry into my bank whenever I feel like it. The fact that they know me, see me a couple times a week, and chat with me apparently makes it appear criminal on the days when my gun is not covered? Or on the days when I have a coat on and the gun is only partially concealed does that make the tellers only partially uncomfortable? Bull! Its concealed sometimes. Its open others. Been carrying into the bank for 20+ years and nobody have ever said a peep to me about my gun.

If some new teller wets his/her pants when I walk in that is not my problem but rather a problem of the manager who didn't properly train the employee that some patrons legally carry guns in the branch.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm working at a bank right now as a Teller. A couple of weeks ago, a man came into our branch open carrying. I didn't even notice it, but I heard about it after he left; the other Tellers were freaking out at the sight of his pistol, even though he had done nothing wrong. We were talking about it after he left; they suggested that he was stupid, that he was breaking the law, etc. I said I believed that there was no law prohibiting guns in banks. The other Tellers disagreed, even if they were not able to quote any such law. This sort of resulted in a stalemate. They weren't able to point me to any law to prove that they were right, and I wasn't about to comb through every law to prove that there wasn't a law against it.

As a Teller, I can understand their fear. We are a frequently robbed branch in the area (sheisty side of town) and no one likes to think that they might have a gun pointed at them. I did not see any danger in that situation, but it obviously unsettled my fellow employees.

I know it's everyone's right to open carry if they desire (and it is of course legal), but as a friendly suggestion I would encourage conceal carrying if at all possible if you plan on going to a bank. Our job, believe it or not, is tough enough without having to worry about robbery. Plus, everyone will be having a bad day if a Teller sees a gun, freaks out and hits the silent alarm button.

Sounds like a good place for an OC / 2nd Am. march to me. Let's all go use the ATM, while carrying AK-47s. Maybe make a withdrawal.

What branch did you say that was, again?

:draw::ar15::draw:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    (insult removed by BoR)
    I open carry into my bank whenever I feel like it. The fact that they know me, see me a couple times a week, and chat with me apparently makes it appear criminal on the days when my gun is not covered? Or on the days when I have a coat on and the gun is only partially concealed does that make the tellers only partially uncomfortable? Bull! Its concealed sometimes. Its open others. Been carrying into the bank for 20+ years and nobody have ever said a peep to me about my gun.

If some new teller wets his/her pants when I walk in that is not my problem but rather a problem of the manager who didn't properly train the employee that some patrons legally carry guns in the branch.

Now cmon. Please play nice. Freedom of ideas. It is a forum. I personally think open carry is a great idea. I support you from that standpoint.
    I also work as a nurse and have had many patients that bring their pistols into the hospital and ask me what they should do with them. I am not worried for my own safety but wonder sometimes.
    If you feel the need to carry openly...go for it! Just dont expect everyone to think like you do.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Plus, everyone will be having a bad day if a Teller sees a gun, freaks out and hits the silent alarm button.

Everybody but me, my lawyer, and my bank account if a bank tells the cops, or gives them reason to believe, that I'm robbing them and I end up on the ground with guns pointed at me.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Only in Germany is it that way.

The Germans say "if it is not written to be allowed it is forbidden". Not true here, I've carried in banks with no problem.

On the other hand i do have a good question. Is it illegal to carry while shopping at a GM dealership? Now that the government owns GM would that be considered federal property? Just food for thought.
    :dunno:

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    Wow. There is a lot of hostility over this. I see both sides of the argument, but consider this. The tellers you just made uncomfortable are voters, and in these great United States of America, voters have a voice. They may choose to use that voice to gather enough ignorant, frightened people to try and push legislation against what you are doing. I am not saying stop doing it. I am just saying don't be so forceful. Not everyone thinks the same way as you.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I see both sides of the argument, but consider this. The tellers you just made uncomfortable are voters. . .
    So from now one EVERYONE that we "make uncomfortable" because they have their own issues of inadequacy or irrational fears will vote against us?

I suppose that people who ride loud motorcycles don't offend anyone?

Or black men who date white women don't offend anyone?

Or muslims who cover their faces don't offend anyone?

Or gay's who hold hands and/or kiss in public don't offend anyone?

Or idiots who drive cars with the stereo so loud that it shakes the surrounding cars don't offend anyone?

Or people who have more than 2.1 children don't offend anyone?

Or pot smokers don't offend anyone?

Or cigarette smokers don't offend anyone?

Clearly there are many things that offend SOME people. Me, I'm pretty much tolerant of many things as long as they don't interfere with me. So a black guy dating a white girl, no problem with me. Two gays walking hand in hand, no problem with me. But a loud stereo in a car that disrupts my listening to my favorite radio show, now that does offend me because it infringes on my rights to listen to my radio.

Using that logic, which is pretty clear, if you carry a gun on your hip and come into my cigar shop to buy a stogie then there is no logical reason for me to be uncomfortable. If my clerk has a problem with you carrying a gun then I need to educate my clerk, not put up a sign that keeps paying customers out of my store.

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    (insult removed by BoR)

Glad to see my friendly suggestion was so politely accepted. That said, I wholeheartedly respect your position. One of my great frustrations with the job, however, is how non-understanding our customers can be at times, so I'm just offering a perspective from the other side of the Teller line.

I would add that, from the sound of it, this situation was different than yours. None of the Tellers knew the guy, so there was no history to go on; it is very likely that he just stopped at a branch that he never goes to. It's great that you have a mutual understanding with a branch that you've frequented for so many years, but not everyone is in that position.

And I wouldn't say it's a lack of proper training. We undergo pretty rigorous training for the job as there is much to learn; it's just that not everything can be covered from the get-go.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    it's definatly not illegal...I've CC'd in banks before, but did check for a sign before walking in

Even if they have a sign posted saying "NO GUNS" it is still legal to carry into the bank, it is just against their policy. The policy of a store/bank/shop does not carry the force of law.

And I wouldn't say it's a lack of proper training. We undergo pretty rigorous training for the job as there is much to learn; it's just that not everything can be covered from the get-go.
    And does that training indicate that legally armed people are not a threat?

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Just gotta say, if I was only allowed to carry at ONE location besides my home, I would probably choose the bank. I feel that is the most likely place for something bad to occur, esp. if I am depositing/withdrawing a large sum of money. I would think bank tellers should be quite aware that many of their clients would be armed to defend themselves given the nature of the business they are in... even moreso since you say the bank you work at has been robbed many times. If that's true, no one in their right mind should go there WITHOUT carrying.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I Open Carry into my bank fairly often (Chase Bank in Yorktown). I've never ONCE had anyone even comment on my gun. Then again, they know me in there, so they know I'm not a robber.

I even withdrew a large sum of cash from my account one day and the teller said, "I would normally tell somebody to be careful with that much cash on them, but I know if YOU get robbed, the robber will probably be the one getting shot."

I use to live in South Carolina (where it's not legal to OC), but the bank I had accounts with (Carolina First) decided one day to put up "No Guns Allowed" signs on their front doors. The very day I noticed the sign, I went in, closed out all my accounts, and met with the manager to let him know why they were losing my business. I told him that I had carried a gun concealed into their branches every single day for the past 4 years and not once did my gun jump out of its holster and go on a rampage. I went on to tell him the same ol' when-you-ban-guns-only-law-abiding-citizens-will-stop-carrying-them shpeel, but it was "corporate policy" and there was nothing he could do.

Needless to say, I really don't care if it makes people uncomfortable either. The more they see us law-abiders doing it, the less freaked out they will get.

This is why I advocate OC to anyone and everyone who is willing to carry the burden that comes with it. It will only do us good.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Even if they have a sign posted saying "NO GUNS" it is still legal to carry into the bank, it is just against their policy. The policy of a store/bank/shop does not carry the force of law.

+1

However, I do END my business relationship with any company who decides to make this their policy.

So, they don't have to worry about my guns in their stores ever again. They also don't have to worry about my money somehow making it's way into their tills either. 'Cause that ain't gonna happen.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Nikoteo, I would go the opposite direction you did with this: Not only should customers be able to carry however and wherever they wish, so should you tellers. Let's face it.. the guy walking in (like melensdad) with an OC pistol on his hip... he's not going to be the guy robbing you or your coworkers... it's going to be the guy waiting outside for him to leave so you guys are defenseless. Conversely, if your employer did not insist on you being made helpless, there would never be a time like that and the BG would come in and draw only to find the other three tellers and possibly the manager drawing on him. Suddenly, your bank would no longer have the worry of being robbed.

I suppose common sense is too much to ask, however, on the part of bank management types.

Blessings,
    Bill

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    Nikoteo, I would go the opposite direction you did with this: Not only should customers be able to carry however and wherever they wish, so should you tellers. Let's face it.. the guy walking in (like melensdad) with an OC pistol on his hip... he's not going to be the guy robbing you or your coworkers... it's going to be the guy waiting outside for him to leave so you guys are defenseless. Conversely, if your employer did not insist on you being made helpless, there would never be a time like that and the BG would come in and draw only to find the other three tellers and possibly the manager drawing on him. Suddenly, your bank would no longer have the worry of being robbed.

I suppose common sense is too much to ask, however, on the part of bank management types.

Blessings,
    Bill

I've considered whether it would be better for Tellers to allowed to be armed. However, I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea. Statistically speaking, the vast majority of bank robberies involve one robber, one Teller, and no one else knows what's going on until after the robber has left; furthermore, only one of the many robberies we've had in the past few decades amongst all our branches involved violence against a Teller, which was neither lethal nor involved firing any shots. We get good training in how to handle a robbery; in a nutshell, we stay calm, willfully cooperate and do whatever we can to get the robber out of the bank as quickly as possible.

If there is already a VERY low risk of getting injured in a robbery, then I certainly have no desire to be a hero, especially not for the low wage they're paying me. I'm not about to put my life in peril if it otherwise wouldn't be in order to protect money that isn't mine. That said, if there were more documented instances of brutality against Tellers, I would have a very different stance.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've considered whether it would be better for Tellers to allowed to be armed. However, I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea. Statistically speaking, the vast majority of bank robberies involve one robber, one Teller, and no one else knows what's going on until after the robber has left; furthermore, only one of the many robberies we've had in the past few decades amongst all our branches involved violence against a Teller, which was neither lethal nor involved firing any shots. We get good training in how to handle a robbery; in a nutshell, we stay calm, willfully cooperate and do whatever we can to get the robber out of the bank as quickly as possible.

If there is already a VERY low risk of getting injured in a robbery, then I certainly have no desire to be a hero, especially not for the low wage they're paying me. I'm not about to put my life in peril if it otherwise wouldn't be in order to protect money that isn't mine. That said, if there were more documented instances of brutality against Tellers, I would have a very different stance.

Is the robber standing in front of you with a gun or the threat of a gun? If so, your life is already in peril, and you have reason to defend yourself.
    Stay calm, willfully cooperate, and do whatever you can to get them out asap... and if he wants more than money?

I understand the idea of not risking your life for someone else's money, especially when that money is insured. I do not understand willfully choosing to be helpless. To put this in perspective, my sister, years ago, worked as a teller. Doing that job, she found herself staring down a barrel a couple of times. Today, she's petrified of guns. What has she done? Simple. She transferred her fear of the SOB holding the gun and what he might do with it to the object. Now... imagine that instead, she'd been taught from early youth how to handle a firearm and how to handle herself. Take it a step further in that her employer didn't forbid her from defending herself. Finally, all it takes is for that scum-sucking piece of trash to get distracted from her and aim (or even look) at the teller next to her. She draws, fires, and drops the SOB to the ground.

Result: Today, she's not afraid of things but has a healthy respect for what a tool in the right hands can do to help it's user.

Sadly, the latter case is the hypothetical. <sigh>

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom