• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Had many discussions with a not so informed ( IMO ) LEO about carrying in a DOT vehicle. One that requires a CDL to operate. This covers a broad range of vehicles. I am not concerned about this company's policy, ect, ect. Just what the LAW says about having a firearm in a commercial vehicle. CAny anyone answer to a fact. I have read through the DOT and Indiana Codes, until I was blue in the face! LOL Can't make heads nor tails of it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here are a few other threads on the subject. Might save you some time. I'm pretty sure there are more, it's something that's been discussed numerous times. The gist is that if you're good to go in that state via your LTCH then you're good to go with the addition of a CDL to the formula.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._defense/120823-commercial_vehicle_carry.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/95609-carry_in_a_cmv.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...f_defense/86829-commercial_vehical_carry.html

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    its legal dont listen to truckstop lawyers or leo that voice thier opinion not the law. im sitting in a truckstop parking lot right now with a copy of fmscr and theres nothing in there about it.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Thanks for the links. Good reading. I'm still having issues with the search. I type in words that I KNOW are out there, and get 0 related posts. I'm trying though! LOL

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the links. Good reading. I'm still having issues with the search. I type in words that I KNOW are out there, and get 0 related posts. I'm trying though! LOL
    :): Welcome to the club. INGO's search feature leaves a lot to be desired. You can use Google to search the site, too. Just type site:ingunowners.com then whatever it is your looking for. Works OK sometimes. Welcome to INGO!

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Ive always heard there was a federal law banning firearms from all CMVs, but Im not sure at all if its true. The company I drive for doesnt allow firearms anyways, so I have never cared enough to look into it much.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    i drove regional for a brief time and the company that trained me was was very adament that it was illegal. it wouldnt surprise me one bit if it was all smoke and mirrors just because they didnt want to face any liability in the matter.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Ive always heard there was a federal law banning firearms from all CMVs, but Im not sure at all if its true. The company I drive for doesnt allow firearms anyways, so I have never cared enough to look into it much.

I am a cdl driver myself and have always been told this^^^^^^^. I worked with a guy that got caught in his home state (Oklahoma) with a pistol in his truck and ended up on probation for a year and a hefty fine. I would love to carry in my truck with some of the places I go but cant afford the risk of getting caught and charged.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I am a cdl driver myself and have always been told this^^^^^^^. I worked with a guy that got caught in his home state (Oklahoma) with a pistol in his truck and ended up on probation for a year and a hefty fine. I would love to carry in my truck with some of the places I go but cant afford the risk of getting caught and charged.
    What was he charged with? Was he charged on a state level or federal level?

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    For whatever it's worth, I do know that if you are hauling some types of explosives, ammunition, or other ordnance; you will often be required to carry at least a shotgun and a sealed pack of ammo for it. You or a co-driver must always have a clear line of sight to the trailer. Even when fueling, eating, etc... <- that info is over 2 decades old.

I assume that means firearms in a commercial vehicle aren't strictly prohibited. Could be a DOT exception, possibly?

When a relative of mine carried that sort of stuff, when he was driving within his home state, he told me that his company requested/recommended that he also carry a handgun. This was before LTCH reciprocity was widespread.

Last edited:

JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    There's no law disallowing it. As long as you have a ltch for each state your in or store it the way the law states for states you don't have a ltch for. The only problem you would have would be with your employer.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    the rub

The rub comes in the differing laws, state to state. Company policy prohibits firearms in many cases. I haven't seen any concrete evidence of the feds having any DOT style beefs about it but state regs could get a fellow in enough trouble without having to bump heads with the federales.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Know the state and local laws where you are and abide by them. There is NO law prohibiting it. If you doubt me, call the OOIDA legal dept. 1-800-444-5791. Use Handgunlaw.us or OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...
    for local resources and keep this INTERSTATE DRIVING in mind for places like Chicago, DC, New York, Boston, etc. Basically if there is ANY question about legality where you are, keep it unloaded, locked up and out of reach then claim the interstate safe passage act if ever questioned and they MUST let you go or face a civil suit. I've relyed upon this for MANY years and even thrown a few CMVIs for a loop when I educated them. This is one case where the law actually PROTECTS us. As far as carriers rules, you may lose your job if reported, so keep it to yourself and don't brag, or make sure you own your truck and lease to a carrier, the laws protect us there too. I've even been told by a carrier that I can't carry in MY truck and I told them to pound sand. Their lawyers told them they are powerless.

Last edited:

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010

And its total BS.......Im extremely against gun control. Look at the places some of these OTR drivers have to park, and sleep, for 10 hours. Ever been to the back of the lot at a Pilot at 3am? Why cant truckers defend ourselves?

And Im a local driver, but during the winter months I work very late, until 4-5AM sometimes. Theres been plenty of times I wish I had a pistol on me but couldnt. Switching out trailers at 2am in Brightwood, Haughville and 38th and Shadeland all the time. Had more then a couple scares, but the company says I have no right to defend myself.

But what do I know Im just a dumb truck driver.:xmad:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'm an OTR and own my truck. I am also a HUGE advocate, very outspoken and well versed in the rules/laws of the 2A. See my earlier post and stand up for your rights, they are few and far between. If you know the right rules to quote there is NO arguing with them. You will also find valuable info on anything related to firearms at Oleg Volks sight GunRightsMedia - Powered by vBulletin. This all comes from 4 years of adamant research and study in this specific field, I cannot yet consider myself an EXPERT, but closer than anyone else you will EVER meet.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010

Gotta be creative when traveling through states that disallow carrying in a vehicle. Him being charged and receiving probation wasn't because of him driving a truck, he would have gotten the same outcome had he been driving a car.

^^ That's what an LEO friend of mine keeps saying, but when pushed for #'s - he can't produce! LOL

None of them ever have or ever will, same with companies.

i drove regional for a brief time and the company that trained me was was very adament that it was illegal. it wouldnt surprise me one bit if it was all smoke and mirrors just because they didnt want to face any liability in the matter.

That's what most companies do, and it explains why so many drivers just believe it is illegal.

For whatever it's worth, I do know that if you are hauling some types of explosives, ammunition, or other ordnance; you will often be required to carry at least a shotgun and a sealed pack of ammo for it.

I have never heard this before. Maybe it's a really old requirement just from a company, by old I mean it is a requirement that most likely no longer exists anywhere in this country any more.

You or a co-driver must always have a clear line of sight to the trailer. Even when fueling, eating, etc... <- that info is over 2 decades old.

True only when you have a co driver. Other than that if you drive solo your allowed to leave the truck unattended, with the bills in the driver door for easy access.

I assume that means firearms in a commercial vehicle aren't strictly prohibited. Could be an DOT exception, possibly?

Absolutely no firearm exceptions exist anywhere in DOT, federal, state, or local laws for commercial vehicles. No firearm laws existing today differentiate between a CMV or POV. If you can carry in your POV there then you can carry in your CMV also.

Moral is when carrying your handgun it doesn't matter what your driving as long as it isn't a school bus.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Gotta be creative when traveling through states that disallow carrying in a vehicle. Him being charged and receiving probation wasn't because of him driving a truck, he would have gotten the same outcome had he been driving a car.

None of them ever have or ever will, same with companies.

That's what most companies do, and it explains why so many drivers just believe it is illegal.

Moral is when carrying your handgun it doesn't matter what your driving as long as it isn't a school bus.
    Don't forget, the Interstate Safe Passage Act applies to us too.

Top Bottom