• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK. I'm lazy. I didn't search. But, I'm taking the family on a trip to our glorious capital (followed by Gettysburg to keep dear ol' Dad happy) and I would love to take my pistol. Given all the recent heat from the Holocaust incident, I'm wondering just what are the laws about carrying in D.C. I'm assuming you can't take a gun into most of the buildings but what about walking around on the Mall. Did Heller make it any better? My wife and girls want to see the Lincoln at night and frankly, I'm not too keen on being out there after dark in a disarmed condition. I'm looking for some reliable input. Thanks in advance for your reference to any documentation on the current status of carrying in our nation's capital.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Don't even think about it! Heller did not give anybody the ability to carry in D.C. just the right to own handguns in the nation's capital. Stay out of D.C. if you must carry. Only leo's and other special people can carry there. Good luck. And oh, don't be caught in D.C. after dark.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Only carry under LEOSA is allowed here. It sucks, and the Senate bill was dropped to allow carry. I work down the street from capital hill, and man, I wish I could carry.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Possum. That's kind of what I figured. The trip is ON and will not be stopped. So, I guess I've got to choose between leaving my gun in my car or not taking it at all. My girls want to see the monuments at night, so I'm trying to find a bus tour or something with a group. But my question remainds....can you CC anywhere in D.C.?

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Only carry under LEOSA is allowed here. It sucks, and the Senate bill was dropped to allow carry. I work down the street from capital hill, and man, I wish I could carry.

THanks, Nate. Again, I figured that was the lay of the land. Hey, do you work for one of our splendid representatives? If so, please PM me as I could use some help getting into a couple of places. Thanks for the feedback.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Can you carry in DC?

funny-pictures-cat-scared-sink-wate.jpg

Unless you are a criminal, of course.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I can't comment on the carrying of your weapon in DC as I truely don't know. But I will echo the voices saying to stay out of DC at night. One might think our Nations Capitol would be better than the armpit of the country, but DC is pretty much all bad. If you must go out at night, finding a group tour as you mentioned would be best.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    DO NOT have a firearm in your car, or even luggage.

I work for the Republican Jewish Coalition, we're a PAC. Where are you trying to get into, we have pretty good connections around town, and I know a couple reps on the Hill from IN. You may also want to shoot your rep an email/letter, they love doing constituency stuff for votes.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can you carry in DC?

funny-pictures-cat-scared-sink-wate.jpg

Unless you are a criminal, of course.

:rofl:Thanks Bigum. Of course I kind of assumed that's what the deal was, but I was hoping that there would be a slight crack of daylight after Heller so I could at least keep one in my car or CC on the mall.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't think you're legally allowed to even think about a gun in DC. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've read about people being arrested for having a keychain made from a spent casing and a bullet. No powder, no primer, just a hunk of lead and a tube of brass with a chain fastened into it through the primer hole.

Possession of unregistered ammo. I'm not sure, but I think it's a felony.

Blessings,
    Bill

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't think you're legally allowed to even think about a gun in DC. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've read about people being arrested for having a keychain made from a spent casing and a bullet. No powder, no primer, just a hunk of lead and a tube of brass with a chain fastened into it through the primer hole.

Possession of unregistered ammo. I'm not sure, but I think it's a felony.

Blessings,
    Bill

Yup. It sure makes me feel safe no one can walk into a place and shoot at you with unregistered ammo out of an unregistered rifle here. Again, RIP to that Security guard

I do believe you can carry a folding knife though, I know I do :patriot:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Last time I was in D.C. I carried some of the time & didn't on other treks here & there. I stayed in VA one night & about 4 in D.C. @ a relatives home. I was as nervous as a hooker in church, most of the time though (as well as when I was in Jersey & Maryland!).
    You can't have a gun in D.C., but if you stay in a hotel in VA, you can leave it there (locked in your room or, perhaps the mgrs safe). Then you'd @ least have it for most of the trip. Check Handgunlaw.us, for maps & other info.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    No guns for you. Only criminals allowed to carry.

Unless you're Superman, do not go out at night. There's a real good reason that Washington is one of the most dangerous cities on the planet (see above statement)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    There's a real good reason that Washington is one of the most dangerous cities on the planet (see above statement)
    Because of the lack of laws against murder, rape, arson, mugging, kidnapping, and assault? Or because guns are so easy to get? Maybe the "gunshow loophole"? Or because you can buy more than one gun a month? If they'd just have more "buybacks" there'd be less crime. "More buybacks=less crime." That's a good talking point.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I do believe you can carry a folding knife though, I know I do :patriot:

You cannot enter a federally-owned building with a folding knife. They have metal detectors and your knife will be confiscated. If you do not plan to enter any buildings owned by the govt., then you will likely have no issues.

However, you might also review this snippet of DC code.

http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=UUID(N7496AEB040-7F11DEBED1F-A98FBEFE5AD)&db=1000869&findtype=VQ&fn=_top&ifm=NotSet&pbc=4BF3FCBE&rlt=CLID_FQRLT50875114711156&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault.wl&rs=WEBL9.06&service=Find&spa=DCC-1000&sr=TC&vr=2.0

Not sure what this means? Ask an attorney.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Most of the tourist spots and the Capitol building is heavily policed, and I mean heavily. The mall is Park Service and their policing is spotty. For the love of God stay out of any area east of the Capitol except for the Marine barracks (they have a Friday concert and drill in the Summer that's very impressive).

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Watch your 6 out there. :ingo:

10-4 on that. The wife wants to see the Lincoln at night (a little Hoosier naivete at work). Great. Maybe I'll apply to be the greeter at the Holocaust Museum while I'm at it.

After three days of trapsing around in the heat in DC, we're going to Gettysburg for a day before we head home. I'm really looking forward to that....first time for me. It is the 146th Anniversary of the battle. I'm boning up on my Civil War history...

Top Bottom