• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    After using the search feature for the last hour, and reading and re-reading all the conjecture, opinions, rumors, "my cousin that lives in Ohio says" parts of the posts that popped up with "Ohio" and "Ohio Carry" as the subject I am still unsure of the procedure to drive myself into Greenville, OH for the weekend. I have my Indiana lifer Pink slip, but I understand that Ohio doesn't honor it. I haven't been able to get a Utah license yet.. A class is coming up at our local shop soon. Can someone give me a synopsis of what I need to do based on facts at hand? I am a bit confused. :dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    IANAL, IIRC, but lock the unloaded gun up in a lock box in trunk of your car. Separate ammo from gun. Point is that you're not supposed to have it readily available since you can't legally carry it.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    First, read this http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf.
    Second, open carry is legal without an Ohio recognized license.
    The major caveat to that is that having a loaded weapon in your car is considered concealed carry and is illegal in Ohio. If you do open carry you absolutely must unload and separate your firearm and ammo as per Ohio's transportation laws every time you get in your car.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I travel into Ohio all the time to visit family. Just got back yesterday as a matter of fact. Two points to know.
    1. Open carry without a license is permitted so long as you are on foot.
    2. Possession of a loaded firearm in a car is ALWAYS concealed, no matter how you carry it on your person. This requires a permit or license recognized by Ohio to do so.

What I do.
    While in Ohio, I don't carry ( I don't have my Florida documents yet). I place the unloaded firearm in a locked box in the back of the Tahoe. The loaded magazines (yes loaded because the law changed) in a different bag or container. When I get back into Indiana, I carry as I was before I left.

:twocents:

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    Thanks all. I will haul it separated out and when I get to Greenville, will reassemble if needed.

Last edited:

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I just rented an apt. In downtown Cleveland. This information is greatly appreciated! We spent the weekend in the East 4th street and Playhouse district! What a great area. And I didn't see any no gun signs. Hopefully they are few and far between!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Boys that is a lesson learned and I should know, but............last weekend was the family reunion in Hillsdale Michigan (about 20 north of Ohio on MI99), since I live in Fishers, I put my EDC in my cargo shorts pocket, loaded up the cooler with soda, and headed up I-69 to the Angola In exit, east on US 20 into Ohio, 9 miles later turn left onto OH576 which then crosses into MI and MI99.

DOH?!? I did not even think about OHIO and my EDC, glad I did not get stopped either going up or back, next time I stay on I-69 to MI, exit 3 (Kinderhook) and over to Hillsdale by passing OHIO all together.....................NOT!

Plan B, stop at Angola exit for cooler ICE, and place EDC unloaded in trunk next to cooler. Back in to pocket when I get to the park in Hillsdale, you bettter be armed around my family.

Remember to reverse steps going back and that MI is a shall inform LEO state.

Woo boy!

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yeah when I travel to virginia, I take I74 to Cincinnati, but cut south right before I get into Ohio and cross into Ky before going around 274 (I think).

Though in 2 weeks, we will be taking the teens from church to Kings Island. I guess I'm carrying a knife and OC spray on that trip. No other options really.

Top Bottom