• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    So here is my question to the wealth of knowledge on here. I have a XD9 that i bought from a fellow INGOer about a year ago and paid about $450 for it like new in case.

I have a hard time carrying it concealed because of the size. And im a rather portly guy. Should I:

1. Sell it on classifieds and buy a compact?

2. Trade it for a compact?

3. Nut up and keep it?

If you think i should sell or trade it, what recommendations do you have for an equally reliable 9mm or 40 that can be easily concealed?

PS. I had a dream the other night that i was being chased by zombies and zombie dogs. I pulled my XD9 and shot the dog 4 times before he died and thats what made me start thinking if i should go up to a 40 cal :ar15:

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Seems like no matter what you carry the the crossbreed holsters get the job done for any size person.

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    i am usually in shorts, even in winter. With a sweatshirt. I have a fobus paddle holster with the thumb release.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I think you should sell it to me at an unbelievable discount....say $300. Then buy yourself a subcompact .45 like a warthog.

just sayin'

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    I understand that maybe the holster has something to do with it. But I have tried to carry it different ways, and it just is to big for me to be comfortable.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    A Kahr PM9 or CM9 is much easier to carry than the bulky XD9. I had an XD9 subcompact and loved it but it was just too big to carry comfortably.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Get youreslf a good holster and belt, you won't even notice you have it on. I carry a Glock 30 everyday and sometimes forget I have it on.

Never try to carry a large 450.00 gun in a cheap 20.00 holster while wearing a 5.00 belt.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I understand that maybe the holster has something to do with it. But I have tried to carry it different ways, and it just is to big for me to be comfortable.

The holster is most likely the problem. Fobus paddle holsters are fine for the range, but they're not good CC holters. If you need to carry OWB, I recommend looking at a Raven Concealment holster. For IWB check out the Comptac MTAC or the aforementioned Crossbreed Supertuck. You may need to buy pants one size bigger to carry IWB. I'm a skinny guy and I use both with my XD and have no trouble concealing comfortably. However, there are plenty of smaller handgun choices if a full-sized pistol just isn't for you. The XD sub-compact (or the similar-sized Glock 26) is a good example and may work where the full-sized doesn't.

Carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable its supposed to be comforting!:twocents:

I absolutely hate that statement. HATE it. It's completely worthless and 100% wrong. It's actually worse than worthless because it makes people new to carrying think that it's expected and normal to be painful to carry. There's absolutely no reason why carrying must be uncomfortable. If it's uncomfortable, then you're doing it wrong. I would rather spend my time helping them learn how to do it right then to spout off worthless sound bites.

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    The holster is most likely the problem. Fobus paddle holsters are fine for the range, but they're not good CC holters. If you need to carry OWB, I recommend looking at a Raven Concealment holster. For IWB check out the Comptac MTAC or the aforementioned Crossbreed Supertuck. You may need to buy pants one size bigger to carry IWB. I'm a skinny guy and I use both with my XD and have no trouble concealing comfortably. However, there are plenty of smaller handgun choices if a full-sized pistol just isn't for you. The XD sub-compact (or the similar-sized Glock 26) is a good example and may work where the full-sized doesn't.

Im looking at the raven website now, any recommendation on which one?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Im looking at the raven website now, any recommendation on which one?

I use the Phantom for OWB because it holds it much closer to my side than a paddle holster like the Fobus, so it prints much less. With a sweatshirt, it'll vanish completely. The downside is that it doesn't have active retention, which may be important to you.

I would also recommend looking at the rest of your setup: pant size, good, sturdy gun belt, etc. There are lots of things you can do to make it easier to carry. Heck, even changing the cant of your holster might make a world of difference. I canted my MTAC forward by one notch and suddenly it was the best holster I'd ever had.

Check out Post #22 in this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/4717-buying_a_new_summer_carry_weapon.html

You'll see some pictures of my XD9SC in my MTAC holster. You'll see how well it disappears.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    if you're wearing nothing but shorts in the dead of winter chances are no one's going to be bothering you so you're probably safe...at least in the winter months :D

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    1) Sell it (or relegate it to HD duty only)

2) buy an XDm Compact like this:

xdm9c03.jpg

3) Buy a GOOD leather holster like my Galco Silhouette

4) support the rig with a good quality belt

5) if you CC use a light weight button up shirt (worn open) as covering garment during hot weather

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    if you are a portly guy like you said, then you really shouldn't be having a problem. I have the XDm-9 & XDm-45, but normally carry the 45. I use the CrossBreed SuperTuck (IWB) or the HighNoon BareSkin (OWB), and use a 5.11 belt. Yes, I'm also a portly guy and have no trouble; as said above, good belt & holster -- Griz

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    So would i be crazy to sell or trade it for a compact? Im not partial to this specific weapon, as long as i have a reliable one

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If it shoots well for you and you like the gun overall, then I would keep it. If not then sell. But like everyone else seems to be saying, just get a good holster and belt and carry it if the gun works for you otherwise.

Top Bottom