Carry of Loaded Guns Allowed in National Parks Monday!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We all remember this being signed into law, but Monday the law actually takes effect.

The quotes from the Brady guy in this article are asinine. What a surprise.

New law allows loaded guns in national parks - Life- msnbc.com

More at source...

WASHINGTON - Loaded guns will be allowed in Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and other national parks under a new law that takes effect Monday.The law lets licensed gun owners bring firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges as long as they are allowed by state law. It comes over the objections of gun-control advocates who fear it will lead to increased violence in national parks.
    The national parks law takes effect in a climate that favors advocates of gun rights. The debate shifted dramatically in 2008, when the Supreme Court struck down a handgun ban in Washington, D.C., and declared that individuals have a constitutional right to possess firearms for self-defense and other purposes.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    FINALLY! Only a year late...

Now to work on areas covered by the Army Corps of Engineers...

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I can understand the Brady peoples concern, while law abiding people that carry guns outside of the parks everyday may not do anything, man once they're on vacation and get into the parks it'll be murder and mayhem. :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And yet no one has so far commented on the subtle phrasing:
    Loaded guns will be allowed in Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and other national parks under a new law that takes effect Monday.The law lets licensed gun owners bring firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges as long as they are allowed by state law
    How about:
    Loaded guns will [strike]be allowed[/strike]no longer be unConstitutionally forbidden in Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and other national parks under a new law that takes effect Monday.The law [strike]lets [/strike]ends the unlawful prohibition on licensed gun owners bringing firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges as long as they are [strike]allowed[/strike]not forbidden by still-unConstitutional state laws

But hey... what do I know?

Blessings,
    Bill

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    this wins the
    htmsop.jpg

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I believe the buildings are still off limits to carry in though, Youll have to hand your firearm to someone who does not hold a permit of lock it up in your car while you go use the restroom :D

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I assume that the national lakeshore is also covered under this affirmation of a free man's rights.?. If so, I am heading to the beach for a walk. I don't care how cold it is.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I wanted to make sure folks understood that the law says that the part of the park within each state is governed by that state's CCW laws. Someone here has mentioned Great Smoky Mountains NP. In an article I just read, the reporter said that Tenn. allows reciprocity for other states, but that N. Carolina doesn't, so that when you cross into the N. Carolina parts of the park, you would be carrying illegally and breaking park rules.

I don't know if the report was correct on this or not, but I do know that the ability to have a loaded handgun on your person in the park follows state laws. Yellowstone for example is in there states: Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

This is why I want to see about getting that non-resident Utah license.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I saw an article in yesterdays Star where the state of Maine is already thinking about legislation for a state law to prohibit carry. This would be to cover Acadia NP and another I can remember the name of. Unbelievable.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I wanted to make sure folks understood that the law says that the part of the park within each state is governed by that state's CCW laws. Someone here has mentioned Great Smoky Mountains NP. In an article I just read, the reporter said that Tenn. allows reciprocity for other states, but that N. Carolina doesn't, so that when you cross into the N. Carolina parts of the park, you would be carrying illegally and breaking park rules.

I don't know if the report was correct on this or not, but I do know that the ability to have a loaded handgun on your person in the park follows state laws. Yellowstone for example is in there states: Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

This is why I want to see about getting that non-resident Utah license.

Our IN LTCH is recognized by Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado (resident only), Florida (resident only), Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan (resident only), Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire (resident only), North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Wyoming. There is no limitation for NC. [strike]Yellowstone would be a problem, though, because it also covers California. [/strike]
    The Utah would be helpful because it opens up Delaware, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.

This means that with both, you only need to worry about California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.

ETA: Don't forget that some of those states do allow Open Carry without a license/permit. According to OpenCarry.org, California allows OC in rural areas (though a recent news story indicates you might need to remove the mag and chambered round; not sure.), Colorado is reportedly "OC Friendly", as are Kansas, Maine, Oregon, and Wisconsin. Nevada is listed as a "Gold Star Open Carry", The others in the above list either do not permit OC or, like Indiana, require you to be licensed to do so.

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom