• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    My wife weighs 120lbs and is 5'6. Her hips are small and has an hourglass shape. She started with the Taurus TCP .380. The trigger slap (I know) was painful to her. We sold that and bought the Taurus PT111 Compact 9mm. She carried that for 2 months but was very hard for her to carry it due to the width. So, here we are again. Someone help. Rules:
    9mm
    Striker Fired
    Hammerless
    Magazine fed
    Reliable
    Single stack
    And a rail (she wants a laser lol)

Short of machining a weapon with all these, give me suggestions! Thanks guys

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    l1_pistols_kel_tec_pf9_crimson_trace_laser__3_magazines_50212.jpg

Kel Tec PF9 has all that.

You can find lasers for it.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    Walther PPS might be just the ticket.

See, thats what I said. She says the Walther is "too heavy". I love Walthers. I have 2 myself. She tried the PPS and PPK and didnt "like" them. She is really wanting the Khar CM but, aftermarket stuff for them is limited. Mags are limited in availability. I told her the Glock 26 but, I have trashed talked those for too long that she now thinks they are crap. Funny thing is, I am starting to want a Glock 21 now. Grrr.... if I have to go to one more gunshop with her, I am going to tear my face off!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    She really likes this one but, do you have any experience with it. Kel Tec scares me. Not long ago they were the Highpoint of the day.

Not with the FP9, I had the P11.
    The PF9 is really a slim gun (it was too slim for me actually, P11 felt better in hand), I have no problem to conceal the P11 that is a bit thicker and im about the same height and weight as your wife.

They are great little guns and not expensive, it doesnt mean they are cheap like Hi Points.

I know some shooters who have hundreds of rounds through their PF9 and P11 with no problem.

If after 50 or 100 rounds it has no problem then I would trust it as a carry gun.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    Thanks. I will go ONE MORE TIME to Whittakers and just buy the damn thing. Two wasted trips so far and it took a stranger on the internet five minutes. She is turning me into a woman everyday!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks. I will go ONE MORE TIME to Whittakers and just buy the damn thing. Two wasted trips so far and it took a stranger on the internet five minutes. She is turning me into a woman everyday!

:): LOL

You are welcome.
    A trip to the gun store is never wasted.
    At least you are lucky your lady is into guns and wants her own.
    I had to beg to take my girlfriend, just once, to a gun store. :rolleyes:
    She doesn't want to shoot a gun, let alone carry the damn thing so I would love to have fifty wasted trips to the store to find her the perfect carry gun.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    My experience with the PF9 is that it's not a pleasant gun to shoot, even as a 9mm and, based on some of the things I've read here, others have had similar experiences. That said, it is certainly a small 9mm that quite a number of people like. If you're able to, have her shoot a few rounds (at least) through it ...or you may have yet another trip to the gun store.

Instead of the PF9, I purchased a Taurus 709 Slim, which had it's own set of issues, but was much more pleasant to shoot than the KelTec. The biggest issues for the 709 were the sights (adjustable rear; nice idea, poor implementation, shot low ...especially with 115gr ammo, 147gr wasn't bad) as well as the lack of accessories ...like a decent holster.

From there, I went to a Glock 27. While my frame is not small, my hands are. Still, it's a very comfortable handgun to shoot (and more pleasant than the PF9, even firing 40S&W). For me, the choice between the 26 and 27 was based on 40 caliber ballistics in a 9mm sized frame. Though quite a number of people are very pleased with the G26 (and, even more, with the G19).

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    See, thats what I said. She says the Walther is "too heavy". I love Walthers. I have 2 myself. She tried the PPS and PPK and didnt "like" them. She is really wanting the Khar CM but, aftermarket stuff for them is limited. Mags are limited in availability. I told her the Glock 26 but, I have trashed talked those for too long that she now thinks they are crap. Funny thing is, I am starting to want a Glock 21 now. Grrr.... if I have to go to one more gunshop with her, I am going to tear my face off!

Simple, go buy yourself a Glock 21 and love it. Repeatedly tell her how wrong you were about Glocks and then she will want a Glock 26 :D

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Take her to the gun shop and have her hold anything and everything that appeals to her. She should even hold stuff that doesn't. Find a shop that will let you shoot it before you buy it. Short of that, do you have any friends with guns she might like that will let her shoot them?
    If you go the keltec route, keep it clean. I have a P3AT that starts to FTF after a couple hundred rounds. Other than that, it's a great gun.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    Thanks for the help guys. This has been a PITA for a week now. She listed a wtb in the sale section for a Kel Tec. She held that one last time and says its "the one". Thank god that is over!

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i would go walther ppk or sig 232..these are 380 but a glock 26 would be fine too....no safety though...also you could consider a lc9....kahr 9mm seems to fit the bill the best and there are lasers out there for her...the keltecs are ok if you get a good one if not then expect some reliability issues

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Thanks for the help guys. This has been a PITA for a week now. She listed a wtb in the sale section for a Kel Tec. She held that one last time and says its "the one". Thank god that is over!

Sounds like she has settled for now on the PF-9. My wife loves hers, carries it in a SOB holster or in the same holster in a pocket in her purse.
    The only drawback to it has been it is lightweight for a 9mm, and some ammo will be pretty snappy. If at first she is discouraged because of recoil, try a few different options. I have shot everything up to winchester +P+ ammo through hers, and while brisk, I didnt find it unmanageable. I think her current carry round is 147 gr Hydrashocks, and she feels they are the lightest recoiling round she has tried so far.

Top Bottom