• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    I purchased a new Rugar LC9 with the intention of buying 2 holsters that I had been researching, one IWB one thigh holster. However, before buying the holsters I found out that I'm pregnant. This isn't (by far) my first baby but the first since I've been carrying. It creates special needs. IWB is difficult as I no longer have a waist. Thigh carry may still be an option but the one I had chosen doesn't really adjust much in size and I get pretty large.
    Anyone with personal experience have suggestions? I have 6 months to go, then the few months of post partum size fluctuation.
    Thanks!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This might yield better results if asked in the Women's Forum too.

Speaking from experience here (I also grew 'em large with the belly to show for it), traditional carry options on the body are just not going to work as the vast majority of them will require some form of attachment to the pants. And pants that are held up by elasticized material will not suffice for carry. Period.

Your options:
    1. Shoulder rig
    2. Belly band (though I question the long-term usage of this one knowing that it probably won't expand to accommodate the belly; also not sure if retention location of the firearm will be in a good place once the belly hits a size that prohibits anything but putting the firearm on your 3 o'clock. I'm not sure exactly where belly bands are designed to keep the firearm relative to the body)
    3. Bra holster (although IIRC access is from below, which becomes a little tedious and much slower comparatively when allowing for the belly)
    4. Ankle carry. Though later it might become Cankle Carry; and, again, will access be practical with the belly?
    4. Off-body carry. Seriously, it's not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. I off-body carry everyday, even when I carry on the hip. The risks can be minimized and mitigated and given the limitations of a pregnant body, it might actually be a better form of carry when all is considered. The way to approach off-body carry is to consider the object that holds the firearm as a holster, regardless of what other purposes it might fill. You don't want to toss a firearm in an average girl's purse and start hitting the malls, but you can pick your purse and the way you carry it such that access is as fast as some CC options (if not faster--oh, yeah, I went there).

I carried through 2 pregnancies. Off-body was the way to go.

Last edited:

MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    88GT,
    I forgot there was a women's forum. :-)
    I was considering off body carry, as you mentioned the negatives of all the methods discussed. I will pursue that option, but still would love to hear if I'm missing something.

MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    How might I get this moved to the Women's Forum? Can I just repost or will that cause issues? Anyone?

Top Bottom