• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Governor Beverly Perdue of N. Carolina declared a state of emergency with Hurricane Irene headed in their direction. Per their code, this means that any citizen handgun carriers that were out when the declaration was issued instantly became criminals:

14-288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:

(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or

(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.

(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Not only don't I understand why people should have their carry rights suspended because of a storm, but isn't #2 absolutely insane? If you are not at home, you cannot defend yourself and your family during riots? Wow...

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Yeah it seems to me that in the aftermath of a natural disaster would be the time when you would most NEED a gun on you for self protection.

But you know, all of us card carrying law abiding gun owners are going to be the ones out there looting and rioting after something like that. Seems to me from the people I have met that are gun owners, WE all would be the ones out there helping to clean up and rebuild.

Laws like this are rediculous.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Hmmm, does Indiana have this "exception?"

IC 34-28-7, the state, a political subdivision, or any other person may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during:
    (1) a disaster emergency;
    (2) an energy emergency; or
    (3) a local disaster emergency

House Bill 1065 recently fixed that little loophole.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IC 34-28-7, the state, a political subdivision, or any other person may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during:

Nice, thanks for the info rep to you..

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    That's crazy. Watch if there is looting the will change the law so that everyone has to turn in there guns at designated "safe storage Locations" until the emergency passes.

Hopefully most people will have evac'ed or bugged in and have plenty of preps to get
    through the first month or 3 with no problems assuming they don't loose there house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Nice, thanks for the info rep to you..

Vague memories of old INGO posts score me some rep, thanks. :rockwoot:

I wonder how strongly this prohibition in NC is being enforced? Do we have any known cases as yet of someone's weapons being stolen away from them for everyone else's protection?

Also...how on earth would you transport your firearms out of the disaster zone before it hits during one of these states of emergency. I mean, I can take everything including the kitchen sink when I leave but my firearms have to be left in what could soon become the world's largest outdoor pool?

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    That's crazy. Watch if there is looting the will change the law so that everyone has to turn in there guns at designated "safe storage Locations" until the emergency passes.

Hopefully most people will have evac'ed or bugged in and have plenty of preps to get
    through the first month or 3 with no problems assuming they don't loose there house.

I lost all of my firearms in the great flood of 2??? Or was it a boating accident? Hmmm quess I am in the clear then:):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Don't you hate that I even lost my boat. You know for as dry as IN is we sure do have a lot of water related accidents.:D

It's those nasty firearms, you know. Everyone floats around with their entire gun cabinet in the back and the evil black weapons use their murder powers to flip the boat in an attempt to kill something.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Is there not still on the books a law where the governor can still strip us of our right to carry during an emergency if s/he so delcares it? fuzzy memeory on this.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Governor Beverly Perdue of N. Carolina declared a state of emergency with Hurricane Irene headed in their direction. Per their code, this means that any citizen handgun carriers that were out when the declaration was issued instantly became criminals:

Not only don't I understand why people should have their carry rights suspended because of a storm, but isn't #2 absolutely insane? If you are not at home, you cannot defend yourself and your family during riots? Wow...

And if you actually read the proclamation (North Carolina Office of Governor Bev Perdue) before jumping at the chance to stir the pot and spread rumors you would have seen
    PROCLAMATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY​
    BY THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA​

Pursuant to the authority vested in me as Governor by the Constitution and the laws of the State of North Carolina:

Section 1.
    I declare that a state of emergency exists in the following counties in North Carolina due to the approach of Hurricane Irene:
    Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Brunswick, Camden, Carteret, Chowan, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Currituck, Dare, Duplin, Edgecombe, Gates, Greene, Halifax, Harnett, Hertford, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, New Hanover, Northampton, Onslow, Pamlico, Pasquotank, Pender, Perquimans, Pitt, Robeson, Sampson, Tyrrell, Washington, Wayne, Wilson
    And most importantly
    Section 7.
    This order is adopted pursuant to my powers under Article 1 of Chapter 166A of the General Statutes and under Article 36A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes. It does not trigger the limitations on weapons n G.S. § 14-288.7 or impose any limitation on the consumption, transportation, sale or purchase of alcoholic beverages
    14-288.7 is counter intuitive but is on the books solely to give the government more power; and the democratic governor agrees that this is not a time to strip legal gun owners of their rights.

:twocents:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    And if you actually read the proclamation (North Carolina Office of Governor Bev Perdue) before jumping at the chance to stir the pot and spread rumors you would have seen
    And most importantly
    14-288.7 is counter intuitive but is on the books solely to give the government more power; and the democratic governor agrees that this is not a time to strip legal gun owners of their rights.

:twocents:

Thank you for the clarification, Someone rep this man, I seem to need to spred the love.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My apologies to the INGO community. I had read the relevent NC code (no easier to read than Indiana's), but did not read through the entire emergency declaration. I'm also relaying this info to the site where I got it. Thanks for catching that error.

There are enough legitimate 2A issues to be concerned about without adding errors into the mix.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Someone needs to find this lake everyone is losing their firearms into and dredge the bottom for a massive score.

I lost mine in a cave I was spelunking in. They all fell down a chasm so deep, I never heard a one of them hit bottom.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Someone needs to find this lake everyone is losing their firearms into and dredge the bottom for a massive score.

I lost mine in a cave I was spelunking in. They all fell down a chasm so deep, I never heard a one of them hit bottom.

What do you think we bought that aircraft carrier for? The ISS Bacon is guarding our treasures until we can manage to recover them right after someone demands we surrender them :D

Top Bottom