• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    do any of you carry while you sleep, on your person?
    Not currently, but I have before.

it would be quicker than accessing a safe
    Correct

I suppose you would get used to it.
    With the right setup

Thoughts?
    Get the right setup. Invest in one of those space age foam mattress (at least 3 inches of foam) topper on a pillow top mattress. Combine that with a crossbreed super tuck and a good belt or sleep wear with drawstrings and you are good to go. I was able to sleep on my side (Gun side) if i wanted to and couldn't even feel the double stack service size gun. In concision, it can be done comfortably but I just put it on the night stand now days. I had a stalker at the time I slept with it ( not that it makes it any less weird.)

Replies in red

Edited to add: I am a heavy sleeper and toss and turn violently. I asked for an extra tight kydex mold on the crossbreed super tuck to retain the gun. Combined that with a belt like the Wilderness instructor which secures its size exactly ( no 1 notch every 1/2 inch) The gun was retained well. It only came out once one night when I rolled off onto the floor (so unless you had active retention there was no way it was not going to come out)

Anything is possible if you think logically and are not afraid to try

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Does the Wingmaster by my bed count? It seems to me that there's no reason to limit oneself to a handgun at home. Long guns are almost invariably more effective in the rare event that a weapon is useful.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    How about an early warning system? Dogs, alarms, etc. That gives you time to wake up, grab the gun, and get ready. This will make immediate access to firearms less important, and immediate access usually means more risk. It might also be a good idea to get a heavy duty door and lock it. Again, this has to respond to your threat level. I have seen houses with different security setup, including one that featured four layers of locked doors, some made entirely of thick steel with multiple locks. (Can you believe that a very skilled cat burglar actually got into that house, grab the valuables and got away without waking anyone up? Nope, he didn't get in through any windows. There were none on the first floor, and all the second floor windows had steel bars. The burglar picked every single lock. Man oh man, that's skill!)

Whatever you do, don't leave all the doors unlocked. For some reason people think they can stay safe if they just have some guns, without paying attention to some common sensical things.

Da Bing

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    No "cat burglar" is picking a Medeco lock. Home security isn't really that difficult.

Anyone who doesn't have a dog is a scrub. This educated beast is mine:
    BlegR.png

Dogs are mandatory in my America. If I need a firearm after an intruder meets Oscar then the 00 buckshot is necessary.

And why are you signing your posts?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    No "cat burglar" is picking a Medeco lock. Home security isn't really that difficult.

That's what I thought, too, with my investment in Medeco locks costing hundreds of dollars each, until someone showed me how quickly he could defeat them. *kicking myself in the head, after kicking the Medeco locks*

You know, the best deterrent is probably the right balance of security and poverty: poor enough so the really skilled burglars would skip your house, and secure enough that the average burglar can't get through. Then stick your psycho dog in there. Take off the glasses, though. They give him a bookish Kent Clark look.

Da Bing, signing each post because it's the polite thing to do

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    When I sleep my .45 is on the floor beside me with a good flashlight ( don't like a light on a gun as I could cover someone who is supposed to be in the house), if grandkids are over I sleep with it under my pillow (memory foam) and that works for me. I don't move alot in my sleep.;)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Sylvain;2091581I didnt know I was being rude by not signing my posts and by not following the internet étiquette. :rolleyes: Sylvain[/QUOTE said:
    I didn't mean to imply that others were rude. You can do whatever you wish. I was just used to signing with something. Some years ago I participated actively on an internet forum that required its members to sign with their real names. The moderators deleted the posts without a complete signature. People were nicer and more helpful to each other on that forum. I think the same thing could also work on INGO. Maybe then we'd all stop using our "outside voice" to talk to each other.

I do like my nickname, though.

Da Bing

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Don't sleep with it on me, but before I go to bed my pants are left at the bedside, holster, flaslight, spare mag, knife, LTCH in the same place they are carried all day everyday; something goes bump in the night, my feet hit the ground and half a second later I'm half dressed and armed and I can go about seeing what is the matter. If I cant get out of bed, it's within arms reach.

I have no kids in the house to worry about, I am looking into the biometric safe's to put a home defense fullsize handgun into and let it live there at the ready, and then I can lock up the carry gun without fear should we have little ones around.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes, I've slept carrying. All times have been naps in a recliner where I can't toss and turn. Otherwise, mine are always right next to the bed. If you can train yourself to sleep in only one position or to avoid a particular one, I suppose you could do it while you slept at night. But honestly, I think even the nightstand would be quicker. You can still get to one on/in the nightstand without having to extricate yourself from the sheets.

I didn't mean to imply that others were rude. You can do whatever you wish. I was just used to signing with something. Some years ago I participated actively on an internet forum that required its members to sign with their real names. The moderators deleted the posts without a complete signature. People were nicer and more helpful to each other on that forum. I think the same thing could also work on INGO. Maybe then we'd all stop using our "outside voice" to talk to each other.

I do like my nickname, though.

Da Bing

It didn't work with you.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It didn't work with you.

At first I thought you didn't like my nickname. Man, I thought, this guy must not have watched enough episodes of the Sopranos. After a while, I finally remembered that you had a grudge against me, which you still continue to bear apparently. :D

Let me try to help here. It's generally more healthy to let go of a grudge than to hold on to it. You'll be a happier person that way. If you don't let go, you'll just continue to amuse people that you've picked out as enemies. Poor guy, we'll say, it's eating away at him, and we have front row seats!

Not that I want to pick a fight, I also think that this may be one of those "not seeing the log in one's eye" situations. Just a suggestion, man. Use your inside voice more often.

Da Bing

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I spend a fair number of nights at houses that aren't my own and I almost always sleep with my weapon on me. If I'm CC'ing I don't find it an unbearable discomfort, but if I'm OC'ing I have to sleep on my back or my weak side so I'm not laying on my gun. On one occasion I felt it necessary to take my holster off to get some sleep so I put it (with my gun) under my pillow. The reason I do this is because I don't know that I can trust other people 100%. I don't have control over the people that my friend's roommate has over while I'm asleep.

When I'm at home I set it next to me on my nightstand, but I don't have little ones in the house to worry about.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    under the pillow always. surpisingly it's not uncomfortable and even though i toss & turn it has never ended up on the floor or close to it. seems to me that those two would be the deciding factor for anyone thinking about trying it. less likely that a child or bg would be able to sneak it out, more likely you'd be able to sneak it out in the event that you wake up in an unwanted guest's shadow and faster than unlocking a nightstand when seconds count

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    At first I thought you didn't like my nickname. Man, I thought, this guy must not have watched enough episodes of the Sopranos. After a while, I finally remembered that you had a grudge against me, which you still continue to bear apparently. :D

Let me try to help here. It's generally more healthy to let go of a grudge than to hold on to it. You'll be a happier person that way. If you don't let go, you'll just continue to amuse people that you've picked out as enemies. Poor guy, we'll say, it's eating away at him, and we have front row seats!

Not that I want to pick a fight, I also think that this may be one of those "not seeing the log in one's eye" situations. Just a suggestion, man. Use your inside voice more often.

Da Bing
    you might not be trying to pick a fight but if i were HER you'd be doing a stellar job

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    My wife is a night owl and I get up early, so yes, I often sleep in the recliner with a pistol on my belt or in my pocket. When I actually do go to bed, pistol in the safe on the nightstand. Only 4 numbers which are ingrained into my brain stand between me and it, Shotgun right beside the bed, one pump away from being ready to fire.

I have slept with a gun many nights. M-16 beside me INSIDE the sleeping bag. I wouldn't sleep with it in my sleeping bag with a round chambered though.

Top Bottom