• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I see it all the time now. People revealing that they love their carry gun. It's very easy to carry, easy to conceal in a pocket, in a laptop case or whatever. But it's very painful to shoot.

Why on earth would you carry a gun that is painful to shoot? The gun you decide to carry is what you have chosen to defend your life and your families lives with.

It's suppose to be a gun that you shoot well.

Sure, I get it. Some guns are much easier to carry than others. But why not find another gun to carry that doesn't hurt you when you shoot it?

Maybe it's just me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've not heard of a less comfortable gun being a primary. But, if someone is wearing a suit everyday, I can see them carrying something like this. In a life or death situation, the pain will not be felt.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I see it all the time now. People revealing that they love their carry gun. It's very easy to carry, easy to conceal in a pocket, in a laptop case or whatever. But it's very painful to shoot.

Why on earth would you carry a gun that is painful to shoot? The gun you decide to carry is what you have chosen to defend your life and your families lives with.

It's suppose to be a gun that you shoot well.

Sure, I get it. Some guns are much easier to carry than others. But why not find another gun to carry that doesn't hurt you when you shoot it?

Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, It's just You.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I work on a retail sales floor as a manager and yes what I carry at work is not my favorite to shoot but would get the job done if it had too. Now when not at work would upgrade to the Glock 26 or something even larger that yes is really fun to shoot. I think we do what we have to based on our situation.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I would hope that the least thing on your mind if you are involved in a shooting would be your hand hurting as you pull the trigger.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I've not heard of a less comfortable gun being a primary. But, if someone is wearing a suit everyday, I can see them carrying something like this. In a life or death situation, the pain will not be felt.

I would hope that the least thing on your mind if you are involved in a shooting would be your hand hurting as you pull the trigger.

:):.......yeah on all'at, I mean......:rolleyes:.......WTF?........:):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

I agree. Most of the time when I carry, it is essential that I deep conceal. I carry a small revolver with very compact boot grips. Is this gun a pleasure to shoot? Of course not. But since I don't carry for pleasure, it really doesn't matter.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a S&W 637 air-weight. Shoots .38 or .357. Its small size makes it a nice back up. Not fun to shoot, but its not my primary carry either.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have noticed that a lot of people will flinch when going through a drill where dummy rounds are randomly loaded in their mags. It is a hard habit to break even with guns that are fun to shoot.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    For a few years I primarily carried my 642. No it is not fun to practice with. Was really not fun to shoot those +p's but I did. If I didn't leave the range with my hand hurting I didn't practice enough.

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    Personally, I generally don't carry guns I hate shooting. I even go for a little extra weight (my most common EDCs are both small but steel-framed guns) because i think the discomfort is worth the increased shootability. Having said that, the one gun I've owned that was painful to shoot was an LCR, and I kept it because I could shoot it fast and accurately. I did get another LCR in 22 to practice with, but I also was kinda using that as an excuse to get a fun new plinker.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    For a few years I primarily carried my 642. No it is not fun to practice with. Was really not fun to shoot those +p's but I did. If I didn't leave the range with my hand hurting I didn't practice enough.

That is just it. A large percentage of people don't practice with the firearm that they actually carry. It's sad really. They may be able to put 'em all in the 10 ring with there shinny 1911. But, the POS Kel-Tec they have on their person..... "Why would I want to shoot that?"..... It drives me nuts.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Far too many people have not fired their handgun without eye and ear protection in an enclosed space. The shock of the noise, heat, and smoke of whatever handgun you fire can be debilitating all by itself.

I think the final decision about what handgun in what caliber should be carried should not be made until this test is made. FWIW.

I prefer the 38 special over the 357 magnum for this very reason. I don't mind the 45 ACP and I wince with lightweight 9mm's. The 147 grain 9mm's are not too bad. I can't imagine firing any centerfire rifle inside my home. A 12 gauge is OK.

But then again, after years of being exposed to gunfire and explosions, I don't have the best of hearing anyway.

A local woman was involved in a justified shooting of a perp. She shot him through the windshield of her car with a 6 inch 44 magnum. She lost most of her hearing, but not her freedom or her life.

The nature of the beast. Guns are loud. And a lot of times they throw bits back at you too.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    JMO, but frequently it's a case of someone with the mindset that "I'm NOT dressing around the gun, screw that! I 'demand' that the gun I bought accommodate me!" :ugh:

They'd prefer to carry a firearm with which they're not totally comfortable rather than make an accommodation that would allow them to carry the gun they prefer, or even with which they're more familiar and accurate. :scratch:

THEIR choice. Hopefully, that choice doesn't fail them when (god forbid) it's actually needed. :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

In a life or death situation, the pain will not be felt.

Is the only time you're going to fire your weapon your trusting your life to in a life or death situation? I hope not. I know that's frequently the case, though, and I know that the result is normally a lot of missing, even at very close distances.

What about in practice? What about developing a flinch reflex? If its not comfortable to shoot, you aren't going to shoot it enough to be proficient, and when you do practice you are less likely to have the fundamentals down pat because...pain.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a little P64 in Makarov that is not really fun to shoot. I used it as a pocket gun but have gotten away from that for this very reason. It is reliable and very accurate for its size but I don't practice with it enough so I quit taking it with me. Now it sits in my computer desk drawer, just in case.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If its not comfortable to shoot, you aren't going to shoot it enough to be proficient,

Why? If it's my regular carry weapon, of course I'm going to shoot it enough to become proficient.

and when you do practice you are less likely to have the fundamentals down pat because...pain.

Again, not necessarily so. Pain does not mean "can't shoot it"; it means it doesn't necessarily shoot the same as my gun that is twice the size and weight and my hand might be sore when I leave the range. Still a worthwhile tradeoff for me when I have to CC.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    JMO, but frequently it's a case of someone with the mindset that "I'm NOT dressing around the gun, screw that! I 'demand' that the gun I bought accommodate me!" :ugh:

They'd prefer to carry a firearm with which they're not totally comfortable rather than make an accommodation that would allow them to carry the gun they prefer, or even with which they're more familiar and accurate. :scratch:

THEIR choice. Hopefully, that choice doesn't fail them when (god forbid) it's actually needed. :dunno:

That's why my EDC is a Shield. To me, it's the perfect fit, as it's fun to shoot and accurate, but I don't have to "dress around it". At the same time, it's not a tiny little gun that's painful to shoot. I tried my stepmother's LCP and three rounds were all I wanted to shoot out of that thing. I"d rather have the comfort of knowing the gun I carry every day is fun to shoot, I know how to shoot it well and it's not painful for me (but would be for the BG).

semiautosniper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    I have the same feeling... For a while I was carrying a snubnose 357 magnum, and I can't shoot worth a damn with that revolver due to the painful recoil... Now I carry a HK45ct.

Top Bottom