• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Does it have to be a legal deer caliber to carry during it deer season ? Does it have to be open carry or can it be concealed ? They way I read you can whatever and however.

Handguns
    While hunting, an individual may carry a handgun without a handgun license in accordance with Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 at IN.gov/legislative.

Carrying Handguns
    An individual may carry a handgun while
    hunting without a license to carry a handgun in accordance with Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 at IN.gov/legislative. It is not legal to take a deer with a handgun except during the firearms, special antlerless, and muzzleloader seasons and in compliance with DNR regulations

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don't hunt anymore but a few years ago when I hunted it was completely legal to carry any caliber handgun you want as long as you don't take game with an illegal caliber. I had a Cimarron .45LC 7.5" in a shoulder rig and a G17 on my hip. Not including my shotgun.

OC or CC no matter as far as I know.

.45LC was for Bambi CQB and 9mm was for SD.

Last edited:

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    If you are going to be hunting with it, it has to be a legal caliber and it has to have at least a 4 in'' barrel, unless something has changed this year that I am not aware of. I'm taking my GP100 6" during firearms season for hunting and SD.

For SD any caliber should be ok. Just don't shoot Bambi if its not a legal caliber.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The way I read it, no permit to hunt with handgun (can't carry concealed).
    If you have a permit, you can hunt and also carry it concealed.

If you are out now, bowhunting deer, you can carry it for PP, but then you aren't hunting with it ('cause your bowhunting deer) , so you'd better have a permit (concealed or not).

Now the rub is............hunting ACoE (Army Corps of Engineers) ground, which says no guns at all, or even ammo, unless you have written permission, or are signed in to shoot/hunt. So a signed in hunter can have a gun...........doesn't make the distinction of a signed in hunter in gun only season, so by that I could carry my handgun, for PP, not concealed, if bowhunting said ACoE ground........as I sign in ;)

However, on ACoE ground one can NEVER carry concealed.

That's what I've gathered so far, in a few hrs of checking. Might be in error, but I think that's the way it is supposed to be taken.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I believe you are good to go, any caliber, open or concealed your choice.

Just make sure you carry. I did not carry yesterday for my afternoon hunt. Camp is about a half mile walk. I heard the yotes before I got out of my stand. Spotted them moving about 100 yards from me when I got out of the woods skirting around the sow bean field.

They never got closer than 100 yards or so but did take notice of me. I usually am not concerned with 4 legged animals,it's the 2 legged variety that will more often hurt you but I must say, I was watching my 6 the whole way back to camp and cursing myself for not carrying.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I believe you are good to go, any caliber, open or concealed your choice.

Just make sure you carry. I did not carry yesterday for my afternoon hunt. Camp is about a half mile walk. I heard the yotes before I got out of my stand. Spotted them moving about 100 yards from me when I got out of the woods skirting around the sow bean field.

They never got closer than 100 yards or so but did take notice of me. I usually am not concerned with 4 legged animals,it's the 2 legged variety that will more often hurt you but I must say, I was watching my 6 the whole way back to camp and cursing myself for not carrying.

HAHAHAHA was the hair standing up on the back of your neck? :D

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Is it legal to transport a handgun in an automobile in Indiana without a permit? When I moved back home from Georgia and got my lifetime I recall hearing that in Indiana the car is not an extension of your home like it was considered back in Georgia. So I had to take my new pistol right home and get my permit before transporting again.

Since I had already applied I didn't think twice about it but I would think you could get in trouble if you transport a handgun to your hunting spot even if its legal to carry it into the woods for PP. Is the law applicable only to persons who hunt on their own land vs driving to a hunting spot?

The new place I hunt sounds like a Yote preserve in the mornings when I get out of my car. I def always have my glock on my hip and my buck knife.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Is it legal to transport a handgun in an automobile in Indiana without a permit? When I moved back home from Georgia and got my lifetime I recall hearing that in Indiana the car is not an extension of your home like it was considered back in Georgia. So I had to take my new pistol right home and get my permit before transporting again.

Since I had already applied I didn't think twice about it but I would think you could get in trouble if you transport a handgun to your hunting spot even if its legal to carry it into the woods for PP. Is the law applicable only to persons who hunt on their own land vs driving to a hunting spot?

The new place I hunt sounds like a Yote preserve in the mornings when I get out of my car. I def always have my glock on my hip and my buck knife.

new law within the last year allows for carry of handgun in a vehicle without a permit as long as it is unloaded and in a secure case. This is at any time and not just home from a place of repair or buying it.

I am to lazy right now to look up the code but I am sure someone will be along shortly with it.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1.
    (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection
    (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;

(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    do yall really think those yotes are gonna bother ya??

No, but once coyote season comes in on the 15th, I'll shoot em if they're close enough. There are no restrictions on what you use to take a coyote. I've had them walk directly under my stand before and have seen them a few yards away when walking out into the field. So even if they won't bother me, I'm still going to take a shot if I get the opportunity. :)

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1.
    (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection
    (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Notice that the highlighted section says "on your property". If you are hunting OFF of your property, a LTCH is required. Remember the DNR issues "Rules" and not "Laws" so the law requiring an LTCH trumps the DNR Rule.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    No, but once coyote season comes in on the 15th, I'll shoot em if they're close enough. There are no restrictions on what you use to take a coyote. I've had them walk directly under my stand before and have seen them a few yards away when walking out into the field. So even if they won't bother me, I'm still going to take a shot if I get the opportunity. :)

stick em with a bow and you wont put the woods on red alert at the shot ;)

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    Notice that the highlighted section says "on your property". If you are hunting OFF of your property, a LTCH is required. Remember the DNR issues "Rules" and not "Laws" so the law requiring an LTCH trumps the DNR Rule.

it says you may carry IF 1,2,3,4 or 5.

youre looking at scenario one. only.

back to english class for you

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    do yall really think those yotes are gonna bother ya??

They wont.

dogs n methheads are a different story though.
    Thats what ive always been taught, believed and for the most part that was my experience UNTIL....
    One day around 2003 I was bowhunting early 3rd week of October. Hadnt seen much movement until for a few days until that day right about 45 minutes before dark and this doe comes walking in on me. Presents me an cheesy easy 20yd perfect broadside shot. I let loose with the arrow and got a complete pass through and she ran 20yds (away from of course) and dropped dead. Im thinking great, I gotta drag her across a 20ft wide creek bed then uphill. So I take my bow to the truck and come back to field dress her. Its pitch black and as soon as I couldnt see my fingers in front of me without a flashlight there goes the coyotes. Approximately 200yds or so was what sounded like a decent sized pack. Only problem was that they were getting closer. I finished up field dressing got the doe across the creek bed and shined my light up the hill that I had to go up and there were eyes twinkling everywhere! One pair was on a healthy male that decided he really wanted a chance at that doe! He was 6ds away from me. (In Illinois you arent allowed to carry a pistol unless its during shotgun or late winter season and is NOT an auto and has to be .357 magnum or larger) That male was snarling and yiping at me like he was telling me to leave. I stood my ground and yelled and picked up sticks and started throwing...they all got out of dodge. But my neckhair was still standing up! :D If they were alot more desperate to eat it could have gone south on me in a hurry. Fighting a pack of coyotes with a flashlight and a buck knife....not for me! :n00b:

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    In the 2012-13 DNR Indiana Hunting and Trapping guide it states this along with citing the Indiana code MrsGungho cited.

While hunting, an individual may carry a

handgun without a handgun license in accordance

with Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 at

IN.gov/

legislative

Not too worried about the yotes or the two legged varmints on the private land I hunt in Vigo County, but I still carry my pistol when I hunt there as well as when I hunt down at Owen Putnam State Forest. After seeing some rather large cat tracks It was confirmed by a CO I talked with last year that works the Owen Putnam area that there are a few cougars roaming around down there. I've also seen the same cat tracks on the private land In Vigo around the Otter Creek area.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom