• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I wont even have a gun sitting around loaded until I shoot it. And I wont carry a gun until it has been tested for a couple hundred rounds at minimum, any problems and I wont carry it until I change mags and it shoots every time all the time for another 200.

I also WILL NOT carry a gun that is reliable if I switch ammo or cant get my duty ammo. I will get what i can buy and then run at the very minimum of a box ot two of duty rounds through it to ensure it will cycle and eject every time.

I also switch duty rounds every year no matter what. All the old rounds get fired to ensure the gun still runs them with no problems.

To carry a gun without testing it is crazy to me. And not just with FMJ's but with the ammo you intend to carry through it. Ammo is cheap and I wouldnt bet my life on it without running it through the gun I instend to load it with, not mention different rounds usually have a different impact point as well as higher or lower recoil.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The only way I would carry an unfired gun is if I somehow lost all my other pistols, I would load up as soon as I left the store after buying a new gun and try to get to the range as soon as possible

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    I wont even have a gun sitting around loaded until I shoot it. And I wont carry a gun until it has been tested for a couple hundred rounds at minimum, any problems and I wont carry it until I change mags and it shoots every time all the time for another 200.

I also WILL NOT carry a gun that is reliable if I switch ammo or cant get my duty ammo. I will get what i can buy and then run at the very minimum of a box ot two of duty rounds through it to ensure it will cycle and eject every time.

I also switch duty rounds every year no matter what. All the old rounds get fired to ensure the gun still runs them with no problems.

To carry a gun without testing it is crazy to me. And not just with FMJ's but with the ammo you intend to carry through it. Ammo is cheap and I wouldnt bet my life on it without running it through the gun I instend to load it with, not mention different rounds usually have a different impact point as well as higher or lower recoil.

I ran 200 rounds of .38 special (some were +P) through my S&W 642 snubbie last weekend. At around 50 cents a round it doesn't seem cheap...but it is necessary. It's a lot of fun too!:D

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Seems like an awful idea to me. Personally, I would not be confident in a carry a gun with less than 500 rounds through it. My glock 19 is hovering right around 2500 problem free rounds and I am confident that it will perform as expected if I ever need it. I am still working on getting the first 500 through my PF9, so far, so good, but for now, the G19 is my carry piece.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    When I get a new gun it doesn't stay unfired long enough to carry that way! :ar15:(I have no business owning a commemorative one btw)

am86519

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    You never know what that gun may or may not do. In the instance you draw down when needed and it goes click you may have just killed yourself. Always know your equipment.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I know this thread is a little old, but I had an experience Friday evening that I think fits this thread perfectly.

I had recently purchased a Glock 21SF that I planned to use for a home defense gun. I hadn't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I thought I better get to shooting it. Took it out and the first mag ran without problems. Loaded another mag, and after about 3 or so rounds, the slide locked back, and the mag still had rounds in it. I thought that seemed a little weird. So I took the mag out, and slide stayed locked back. Pulled the slide to the rear expecting to release it, and the slide stop stayed engaged, as if an empty mag was in the gun, but no mag was inserted. So I disassembled the gun to see what was going on. I examined the slide stop lever and how it was installed. If you are not familiar with a Glock pistol, the spring on the slide stop lever goes on the underside of the top locking block pin. Well, mine had the spring on the topside of the pin, thus exerting no spring pressure and allowing the slide stop to go wherever it wanted to. I still don't understand how it made it through a whole mag without jamming.

I did buy the gun used. Did Glock install the lever wrong, or did the previous owner do it? I don't know. I'll admit that before this, I would have considered carrying a Glock, or other quality firearm, without shooting it first. But after this happened, I will ALWAYS test out a gun I plan on using to protect my life, or the life of my friends and family. These lives are well worth the time and money spent to test out a new firearm. I suggest you do the same. :ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Things happen with new guns as well. Wife's new pistol ran the first mag fine, then FTE every round. Looks like the ejector might be broken. Hey it happens. That's why customer service exists.

Top Bottom