• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I'm not looking to cause trouble or taking a side on this. I'm just asking an honest question because this has always seemed to be something of a contradiction to me. As gun owners, we are all about the right to keep and bear arms. When a store or a movie theater declares that they are a "gun free zone", we rail against them. However, gun shops and gun shows (like the 1500) very often prohibit loaded firearms. How do we reconcile these two positions?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The store or movie theater doesn't have hundreds of people with firearms that are out of their holsters or being pointed/waved around. I would never go to a gun show if loaded weapons were allowed. Enough morons shoot themselves and others in the parking lot.

And while we're on the subject of a gun show's mandatory rules, I'd like to nominate deodorant as a requirement.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I'm not looking to cause trouble or taking a side on this. I'm just asking an honest question because this has always seemed to be something of a contradiction to me. As gun owners, we are all about the right to keep and bear arms. When a store or a movie theater declares that they are a "gun free zone", we rail against them. However, gun shops and gun shows (like the 1500) very often prohibit loaded firearms. How do we reconcile these two positions?

CC...just sayin'

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There have been Shows where people sneek in loaded weapons or load their weapons once they get into the show and yes, there has been gunfire because of this. That gunfire is not good for any of us.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    There have been Shows where people sneek in loaded weapons or load their weapons once they get into the show and yes, there has been gunfire because of this. That gunfire is not good for any of us.

I think "sneak" is such an underhanded word.

Where the real danger is, is where everyone is unloading before entering the building, or reloading right after they leave the building.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The reason gun shows ask you to unload your weapon is because people at gun shows have a tendency to want to try different holsters and accessories and end up doing so with loaded weapons, sweeping others and risking negligent discharges.

If you're not planning on doing this, simply don't mention that you have a gun on you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Not to mention there are DOZENS of armed officers all over the place enjoying (some of them) the event as well. I won't give my business to locations that don't allow me the means to protect myself. I think most here could agree that if adequate protection is provided in such facilities they are more likely to be comfortable with disarming. Hence, dozens of armed officers, both in uniform and out.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    As gun owners, we are all about the right to keep and bear arms. When a store or a movie theater declares that they are a "gun free zone", we rail against them. However, gun shops and gun shows (like the 1500) very often prohibit loaded firearms. How do we reconcile these two positions?

You reconcile it by observing the difference between keeping and bearing arms and keeping and bearing LOADED arms.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    go to a gun show and pay attention to how many times you get muzzle swept and i doubt you have much of a problem with it.

i dont think its right that gun shops dont allow carry, as its a fairly controlled enviroment. a gun show is a completly diffrent enviroment

Last edited:

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    To date I've never been to a gun store that didn't allow you to carry (although there are many signs warning you not to draw) Now the gun shows I've been too...I've observed numerous people carelessly handling firearms. I understand and respect the ban.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I don't have a problem with it. It just seemed contradictory to me and I couldn't reconcile the two positions. I think the point made here about all the gun handling at a gun show or shop is a very good one. I hadn't really thought about that difference, but it is a very good reason to try to keep all the guns unloaded. Carrying out in public, the guns stay in the holsters until needed. Also, the heavy police presence at the 1500 helps offset the lack of personal protection. As I said, I didn't have a strong opinion either way. It just always puzzled me and now I see.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have a problem with it. It just seemed contradictory to me and I couldn't reconcile the two positions. I think the point made here about all the gun handling at a gun show or shop is a very good one. I hadn't really thought about that difference, but it is a very good reason to try to keep all the guns unloaded. Carrying out in public, the guns stay in the holsters until needed. Also, the heavy police presence at the 1500 helps offset the lack of personal protection. As I said, I didn't have a strong opinion either way. It just always puzzled me and now I see.

But unfortunately NOT the lack of personal hygiene... ;):):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I 2nd the motion.
    Got mine!

P13854367.jpg

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Lets not forget the need to take long lost friend/family reunions and private deal negotiations somewhere other than the middle of a freakin' aisle!!!

Reel Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    show carry

I have to agree that a gun show is no place for a loaded gun. No mater how safe we are there is someone who just is not on the same page. A few years back I was at the Ft Wayne gun show and some one shot a whole in the ceiling. Did you ever see a guy try to dig a whole in cement. Not good.:twocents:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I CC at every gun show I attend. It's no different from any other place to me. My CC piece is never touched, I don't try holsters for it. It's just always there, there is no reason to remove it for a gun show, just like there is no reason to remove it for any other establishment.

Top Bottom