Carrying at church with know felon in attendance.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Of course, the FELON may have parole requirements the stipulate that HE cannot be within X feet of a firearm, in the same room/building, etc... Not YOUR problem, though.

I knew that we as in carrying the weapons were fine. Just wasn't sure as you stated about him. Also the fact of me possibly going to the home of a violent convicted felon wearing a weapon. I'll have to check with him to insure we don't get him in further trouble. Thanks!

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    IANAL, but aren't diffewrernt felonies different in ongoing penalties? Non violent felonies may not restrict firearms access?

Nope. The felon rule applies to any person who:

has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

Also, this is worth a read:

Possession of a firearm may be either actual or constructive. The latter has been defined as
    follows: “Constructive possession exists when a person knowingly has the power and intention at
    a given time of exercising dominion and control over the object or over the area in which the object
    is locate....” (See U.S. v Booth, et.al. 111 F.3d 2 [1st Cir. September 1997]). If you know the
    firearm is present in your residence, vehicle, etc., and if it can be shown that you have the ability to
    access and exercise control over that firearm personally or through another individual, then you
    could be considered to have constructive possession of the firearm. You would then be subject to
    new criminal charges and/or revocation of supervision. For these reasons, all firearms are to be
    removed from your residence during the term of supervision

I don't know who actually published that but "rip.uscourts.gov" sounds pretty serious.

Edit...the "supervision" part might have nothing to do with the person the OP mentioned, but I think the "constructive possession" generally does. Not that being in the same room as someone who has a gun fits into that definition lol. IANAL yada yada yada...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    tagging for an answer and adding my :twocents:

IANAL but I cant imagine you going where you are allowed to go would cause problems for you. (unless you choose to remove your sidearm and place it where the felon could access it, such as during a basketball game in the gym for instance)

Now I could see how it could cause problems for the felon. After all, if a kiddie diddler has to stay away from kids, I could see how a felon could be required to steer clear of weapons.

I would hope that maintaining positive control of your weapon would be enough to negate any issues for everyone.
    :+1:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've worked with felons side by side... I ain't handing them my firearm, so my carrying one is a non issue. When they've asked to come shoot with me, I flat out tell them, "sorry, my rights ain't worth the risk of handing you a firearm." much to their dismay. Sorry all, ain't worth the risk.
    This is a non issue if it stays holstered and out of their hands.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Wanted to get some thoughts on a couple of situations concerning attending a congregation with a known felon. An individual that was convicted of a violent felony just got out of prison and is now attending. My wife and I and multiple others carry during services.

Now I would assume that carrying during services would be like any other public group I could be in. If I show up at McDonald's and their is a felon there neither one of us is really creating an issue for the other. But what if one of us chooses to attend a get together/bible study etc. at someone's house, carry in, etc. and the felon is there too? Could this become an issue for the felon? A few of us do OC at church so yes he is and would be aware that their are guns in the building.

Thoughts?

IANAL

I'm guessing your question is if the felon would be in legal jeopardy due to him being around someone with a gun. The answer is no. The Felon can not own or possess a gun. Even if you carried in his house he would not be in legal jeopardy as long as you maintained possession of the gun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This sounds like code to me. For something dirty, nasty, and I want to take a bath for even thinking about it.

Can you post up some pics?

I might, we did go shooting on day. I've asked her to keep it covered an out of view as it's a temptation for me to covet it. Paul does advise us to abstain from things that might trip up our brothers and sisters...

And, yes, he did shoot with us. If the army trusted him with a rifle in the sandbox, then so do I.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    G Gordon Liddy's wife has a very nice selection of firearms in the safe on her side of the bed.

There more to that story, he said many times on the radio, his wife owns many firearms, and she even keeps one on his nightstand.
    He lives in Fort Washington, MD. I was eating lunch maybe 6-7 years ago and Mr Liddy and his wife were sitting a few tables away from me, I introduced my son to him and then I picked up his lunch check. He graciously thanked me and we left. He and his wife had chilli dogs, fries and two waters.. Ten bucks well spent.. He's a very knowledgeable man on firearms.
    Hindsight, I should have asked for a pic of them with my kid.

Top Bottom