• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Since we live in the country and our house is somewhat remote to the main road out front, I'm probably overly cautious about those that come visit. For example, we no longer have pizza delivered, ever since the one delivery guy said, "Wow, I never even knew there was a house back here!".

And since then, if I'm home when a package is delivered, I make sure I go out to greet the delivery person, with my Glock on my side. They have never said anything, but I know they have seen it.

I think it's a good idea for people to know I carry at home. I always liked Ted Nugent's comment that says something like "firearms help keep people polite"... or something similar.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Hmmm...I live so far out in the country they won't deliver pizza! I just have revolvers stashed at all entrances to the house and never answer the door without a gun behind my back. Of course, I think I've only had to answer the door twice in the past 5 years. If I'm outside the house, I'm armed.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    100% of home invasions happen at home.

Eldirector raises a superb point, don't you think? I'm sitting here on the couch, chilling out after a lovely dinner with my P3AT in my back pocket, a 1911 compact .45 in a paddle, and a Police 870 full of 00 buck just a few steps away. I now live in a fairly boring neighborhood but lived in some bad-sketchy ones and have grown comfortable with the reassurance that comes from being heavily armed and proficient.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i wish i lived in the country, thats my goal in another 5 years get some land and build a house in the country. I dont live in a so called bad neighborhood, but like i said earlier with more and more home invasions it almost seems to be happening everywhere.

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What a good thread! I agree and have my 45ACP next to me as I type. I carry it from room to room. It only makes sense. I do not answer the door uNless I see it is someone I know, period! (In Irvington)

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    well is it me or are home invasions becoming more prevelant. I swear 7 years ago they were somewhat few and far between, now they seem like they happen weekly....

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have given this alot of thought as of late. A friend of mine and i had this discussion a couple months ago. I always have mine put up, out of the safe but put up due to a 7 year old running around the house. He keeps his on his hip at all times. I keep mine close most of the time, but i dont carry it room to room. I would like to think of my house as my place of safety "yes i do live in the country" but i know thats not true.

I will continue to ponder this, i think i need a better system.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    West of Louisville
    True story. I carry 99.999% at home. The only time I wasn't, two men knocked on my door with a bull**** story. They tried to enter, but I confronted them by steping toward them and not showing any fear. Thank God for only being back from Iraq for six months. I still had the attitude one develops with combat. I didn't even realize it until the retreated. My two young children were home, and I couldn't imagine what would happen if my wife was home instead of me.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I work from home and keep my XD on me. My furry kids is my alarm. This past Sunday we had two cars broken into and one of them was mine. The next day I had a lady looking through the winows around my front door. It's creepy and you owe it to yourself and family to stay well protected and ready!

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I also carry 100% of the time at home. I actually carry more at home than anywhere else (working on that). A wise man once posted long ago about all home invasions happening at home, and it clicked right then. Needless to say, I feel much more secure now.. My wife agrees 100% and also carries at home. She came from a gun free home so I feel very lucky to have a wise woman next me...

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If I am still dressed like I am going outside, I'll carry, but if I am in my sleep wear, I have my gun right next to me.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    About 2 years ago I was at the store when my wife called me around 8pm telling me some ppl were at our apartment. She said they claimed to be from the census bureau. I told her to shut and lock the door and that I would be home ASAP (it had been 5-6 months since they came around) I dropped everything at the check out counter and hit 80 going home (down grant line road in New Albany) when I got there I just slammed my truck in park and ran up the steps....to find my wife talking to what looked like 2 homeless dudes with census bureau bags from 2000. I grabbed my wife and went to my room to get my mossberg 500 :ar15::ar15::ar15: when I got to the front door they were across the street running away.....before they even saw me come back with my gun.......that night I showed my wife about 20 news stories where people had faked credentials to start a home invasion....since then she is very mindful

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I have a good Pit Bull alarm, but doubt she'd do more than try to get an intruder to throw a tennis ball. I always have a handgun on me & long guns close. My family is why I carry & train. It would be ignorant to let your guard down anywhere, but especially at home.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    If it isn't on my person, it is within arm's reach.

If you can't reach it from where you're sitting/standing within the house, it's too far away. If that door comes crashing open, you need to be able to have it in your hand immediately so you can spend more time assessing what's going on rather than taking a couple steps to grab it. Got to be able to have your attention on the intrusion, not on getting TO your gun.

Top Bottom