• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I was just wondering if anyone carries glow-sticks in their bag. I bought some the other day to keep in my Rush 24, but I haven't figured out a way to store them and be sure they don't get bent in storage.

Any suggestions would be awesome

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    You post makes little sense? You haven't or have? I usually stuff them in all sorts of things and have never had one crack on accident.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Sorry fixed the spelling. I may see if I can find room in my FAK to store them. I just bought some cheap coleman ones for now and the seem to bend and crack very easy.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Only when heading to a rave, I do need to develop an emergency bag this site has really opened my eyes to that point.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I carried them in the top of my ruck sack for many years and didnt have a problem with them breaking. But they were free then

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Sorry fixed the spelling. I may see if I can find room in my FAK to store them. I just bought some cheap coleman ones for now and the seem to bend and crack very easy.

You can get Cyalume ones for 1-2 bucks each everywhere... I pick them up $1 each at my local surplus store. Check teh exp. dates though, they usually sell them for $2 each.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We used to carry them in our aviation survival vests, but they deteriorate quickly in the heat; you have to ensure their wrappings keep out light. They last a long time when it's cold out, but I've found other alternatives that give as much light (or more) and have a better shelf life. Basically, an LED wand which works on lithium button batteries (cr2032s I believe). I've had them packed away in various bags since 2006 and I think I've changed the batteries on one set once.

kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    Blackhawk-
    You talking about the plastic wands that go on top of flashlight?
    I've never heard/seen of an LED wand... Got preference/brand?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Truck door and truck gear if I want to grab one.

They expire before they ever break and for the space they take up in a pack I would rather have more 123 batteries to run serious lights in the pack.

Old trick, don't pack air. Packing those is almost like packing air.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It doesn't even have to be boiling water. It can be hot water, or you can place it near a heat source like a fire-carefully or it can melt, and yes, it will glow brighter, but for a shorter duration.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It doesn't even have to be boiling water. It can be hot water, or you can place it near a heat source like a fire-carefully or it can melt, and yes, it will glow brighter, but for a shorter duration.

And if you crack one open and don't need it for very long, if you stick it in the freezer it'll keep for several weeks.

The most fun I ever had with them was cutting them open underwater while diving. It's more fun than playing with mercury.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got one that's loose in my bags, but that's just to use as a marker. TO be completely honest I used to absolutely hate those things even when uncle sam was paying for them. I really just don't like the idea of a light that isn't meant to get turned right off.

I like these much better: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/MICRO-BLACK-KEYCHAIN-BRIGHT-FLASHLIGHT/dp/B001I9EICI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314647584&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: 10 X LED MINI MICRO BLACK KEYCHAIN KEY RING SUPER FLASH BRIGHT FLASHLIGHT WHITE LIGHT: Home Improvement[/ame]

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Blackhawk-
    You talking about the plastic wands that go on top of flashlight?
    I've never heard/seen of an LED wand... Got preference/brand?

I'd have listed the item name if I could have remembered it or found it easily. WETSU's post upthread is pretty much what they are, but the ones I have aren't as streamlined. Basically an LED light on a twist-base that mates with either end of a translucent tube so that two different colored lights can be on the same tube. Essentially the same thing as the LazerBrite.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The most fun I ever had with them was cutting them open underwater while diving. It's more fun than playing with mercury.

Oh I'll have to try that. Just cutting them open and scattering the contents is cool. At first it reminds of Predator's blood, but then, the more I look at the scattered points of light, it reminds me of flying into a metro airport at night, like LAX.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Oh I'll have to try that. Just cutting them open and scattering the contents is cool. At first it reminds of Predator's blood, but then, the more I look at the scattered points of light, it reminds me of flying into a metro airport at night, like LAX.

The blobs don't mix with the water and they are negatively buoyant so you can pour them from hand to hand. They're nontoxic so no worries there with fouling the water.

Top Bottom