• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    For those who carry, have kids, and travel, what do you do to secure your firearm when in a hotel room? How do you keep the firearm safely secured from the kid(s)?

I am thinking of the situation where you are asleep and the kid(s) gets up and around. Train, trust, but kids are kids. How do you secure it?

Thanks
    David

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    For those who carry, have kids, and travel, what do you do to secure your firearm when in a hotel room? How do you keep the firearm safely secured from the kid(s)?

I am thinking of the situation where you are asleep and the kid(s) gets up and around. Train, trust, but kids are kids. How do you secure it?

Thanks
    David
    If you cannot trust your children with a loaded firearm in the room, unload it and lock it in a case. Or just leave it at home.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Most hotels now days have a small safe in the room.

I don't think most is accurate. Some is likely a better description. I travel a lot, and I would say 10% of the hotels I stay in have safes. I have a Gun Vault Micro that I take along with me to secure my firearm when I am out of the room, and cannot take it with me.

Also keep in mind that some hotel chains do post no guns signs, and in some states they do carry weight of law.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I don't know if I am the exception or not. I have a vault to protect my guns from other people when I am not around but I have never needed one to keep my kids away from them.
    I grew up around guns every day. Was taught gun safety, marksmanship and hunting. We were taught that guns are another tool. Period. The guns were never locked up when I was a kid. Rifle, shotgun, handgun, did not matter. Ammo was easily accessible. Because, wait for it, we might need the gun. We didn't play with them, nor did we play with chainsaws or power drills.
    My kids were taught the same. They both shot their first guns when they were 4 or 5. Guns were never hidden from them or locked away. I taught them and continue to teach them everything I can about them. I sat through the Hunter Education class with both of them, five years apart.
    I could lay my loaded handgun down on the couch and it could lay there for a week and they would not monkey with it.
    Anyone else out there like that?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a little, portable locking box I keep in whatever vehicle we are using. If I am concerned, I'll bring it into the hotel. It has a steel cable to (kinda) secure it, too.

But, my girl knows to not touch "daddy's gun". Or knife, or scissors, or.....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't know if I am the exception or not. I have a vault to protect my guns from other people when I am not around but I have never needed one to keep my kids away from them.
    I grew up around guns every day. Was taught gun safety, marksmanship and hunting. We were taught that guns are another tool. Period. The guns were never locked up when I was a kid. Rifle, shotgun, handgun, did not matter. Ammo was easily accessible. Because, wait for it, we might need the gun. We didn't play with them, nor did we play with chainsaws or power drills.
    My kids were taught the same. They both shot their first guns when they were 4 or 5. Guns were never hidden from them or locked away. I taught them and continue to teach them everything I can about them. I sat through the Hunter Education class with both of them, five years apart.
    I could lay my loaded handgun down on the couch and it could lay there for a week and they would not monkey with it.

Yes, same here. That said, I am still very cautious about keeping guns safely out of reach. When we travel it is usually in a suitcase, room safe, or on a high shelf in the closet that the kids cant reach. I am genuinely less concerned with needing instant access to it at night given that the threat of a room invasion is very remote.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Yup. My dad came home from work every night and laid his pistol on the counter to be there for him in the morning. None of us ever gave it a second thought. I was taught at an early age to strip and clean all of my dad's firearms. After all, that was my job when he came back from a hunt or a shoot. Just like my brothers had to shine his shoes. I figure I picked up a longer lasting and more fun skill. :)

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I haven't had this situation in a hotel room, but when traveling and staying somewhere with my children I have unloaded, put a slide lock on it, and stuck it in my suitcase zipper pocket. My kids are 3 and under, though. So they're not going to be capable of finding it, taking the lock off, sticking a mag in, chambering and shooting it.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011

99.99% agree - but there is that .01% that makes me cautious (out of sight, out of reach, etc)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    99.99% agree - but there is that .01% that makes me cautious (out of sight, out of reach, etc)

I agree. Even though I grew up around guns readily available, that was in a different time with a different generation. I would not advocate treating firearms handling as we did when I was a kid. I have always kept them out of reach and out of sight. I may be able to teach my children right, but I can't speak for all their friends that have come over throughout the years.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I do not take unnecessary risks with my firearms, for sure but I am really glad to see others out there with common sense, straightforward approaches as well! I "could" leave it laying around and my kids wouldn't touch it but there is always that chance of someone else.
    Keep up the good work, ladies and gentlemen!

Top Bottom