• ...and so much more!
  • Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Hi all,

I'm new to gun ownership and standard practices of carrying. I do historic restoration for a living, so I'm always going into strangers homes. Even with a good concealment, I believe there would be times where one could see my gun because of the work I do. What is the legality of having a ccw in a customer's home, and what is considered "good etiquette" for carrying at work?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Leave your heater in its holster and you should be fine. If the person says no firearms or has a sign I would respect it (their house,their rules).
    If you are at my house keep your paws off of it. Unless it's needed, then i would appreciate you to exercise good marksmanship. The help will be appreciated.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Were you told not to carry a gun?

I suppose if you do reveal and get caught, they could (A) give you a big thumbs up, or (B) tell you to GTFO.

In the latter case, I suggest you abide by that.

There's no legality issue beyond that. (assuming you have a LTCH) You can't be charged for tresspass or anything else so long as you followed their request.
    Business wise? You have to decide that.

PS - Seeing that you're in Lafayette, if you ever get called to the stately Freeman Manor, you'll be GTG. :)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Leave your heater in its holster and you should be fine. If the person says no firearms or has a sign I would respect it (their house,their rules).
    If you are at my house keep your paws off of it. Unless it's needed, then i would appreciate you to exercise good marksmanship. The help will be appreciated.
    I'm with jaybird.

As far as for your business. Look at the employee handbook for such rules. Then decide to abide or not if you are comfortable with gambling your salary.

Per the law they can't prevent you from having it hidden and locked in your car.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm with jaybird.

As far as for your business. Look at the employee handbook for such rules. Then decide to abide or not if you are comfortable with gambling your salary.

Per the law they can't prevent you from having it hidden and locked in your car.
    I assumed he was self employed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess it depends on how bad you want the job because you will likely lose some if people spot your gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would ungun before carrying into customers houses until you are very well seasoned at carrying.

It's one thing to get "busted" carrying, another to have to pick up your firearm from someone's floor.

FYI - I would advise to totally keep your mouth shut on firearms, carrying, etc. to customers. Even if the situation warrants a clearance for you to carry, don't make firearms a topic of conversation you get into with them any more than absolutely necessary. Loose lips...

Last edited:

Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    I would ungun before carrying into customers houses until you are very well seasoned at carrying.

It's one thing to get "busted" carrying, another to have to pick up your firearm from someone's floor.

FYI - I would advise to totally keep your mouth shut on firearms, carrying, etc. to customers. Even if the situation warrants a clearance for you to carry, don't make firearms a topic of conversation you get into with them any more than absolutely necessary. Loose lips...
    That is a very valid point, thanks. Luckily, most of my work is in nicer areas.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You should balance how deep you conceal your gun with how concerned you are with potentially losing a customer/customers.

If your clientele leans toward non-gun people, I'd keep it small and deeply concealed. Sure, it's not as easily accessible, but a heck of a lot better than being completely unarmed. Balance the likelihood of needing it quickly on a job site against the potential problems an exposed gun may cause for your business.

You can always deep conceal a small 380 or 38 and keep a larger handgun in your vehicle in a paddle holster for better access while you are traveling. I once had a job where I was absolutely not supposed to have a firearm with me, which was the only time that I found good use for a Ruger LCP. Some gun is better than no gun.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just one thing to add, be careful of licensed daycare's. That would be one of the very few if not only homes you might be working at that it would be actually illegal without permission. The one my daughter went to, you couldn't tell from looking that it was a licensed daycare until you were inside and if you noticed the license hanging on the wall.

There is a website that lists all of the licensed daycare's in IN, unfortunately they no longer list addresses.

Wood&Steel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Just one thing to add, be careful of licensed daycare's. That would be one of the very few if not only homes you might be working at that it would be actually illegal without permission. The one my daughter went to, you couldn't tell from looking that it was a licensed daycare until you were inside and if you noticed the license hanging on the wall.

There is a website that lists all of the licensed daycare's in IN, unfortunately they no longer list addresses.
    That is good to know, thank you.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You didn't say if you were self employed or work for a employer. If you work for a employer you should clear that with them first. If a anti gun zealot eyes it and canceled the contract you not only possibly loose your income you also cost your employer as well. As a business owner I would say not cool. I wouldn't fire you but I would be pissed.
    Then ask,When are we going shooting..lol
    If your working for yourself thats a call you have to make. As said above I would go .380 or 9mm pocket pistol WITH a good pocket holster. My favorite is the Kimber micro 9. You can get 8 round mags+1 and you have 9 rounds 9mm in what used to be a .380 only size. Mine has been flawless with any kind of ammo. In a pair of work pants it should go unnoticed.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would say to either deep conceal as Route 45 and others have mentioned, or, since you're self employed, just disclose the fact that you carry. If you have a website, you could even put on it that you're a proud supporter of the second amendment and carry responsibly. It may prevent you from getting certain jobs, but it may also help so that the jobs you do get are for people who approve of you carrying.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Your better off if NO ONE knows you have a handgun on your person, bad guys and good guys alike.
    I am on strke 2 of 3 with my employer for having a handgun on me during work. I'm currently typing this, at work, with a 9mm and spare mag in deep concealment.............it works.
    Route45, rep inbound................oh that's right, someone thought it was a good idea to get rid of a way of us to reward our fellow members for outstanding contributions.

Top Bottom