• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Is it legal to carry in a semi? I'm talking locally not over the road. We're in the middle of harvest and I was wondering because the other night I parked my semi and spooked some druggies tryin to steal ammonia from my grandfathers elevator. Just wondering. I don't think it is but that's why I'm asking.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    To my knowledge, it is no different that carrying in any other vehicle. Rifle/shotgun or handgun with LTCH, and you are good to go.

Silly druggies... NH3 is for the plants, not your brains.....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    A semi is not a prohibited place.

Just don't leave it in your semi if you park it on school property. ;)

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I wondered about this before. What if the company doesnt want firearms on company property? I would suppose a semi is considered company property. Personnally concealed means concealed as far as I would be concerned.

Last edited:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    huh.........i have always thought that a semi is a commercial vehicle which is governed by the department of revenue and not the bmv. although you get your cdl at the license branch, it is actually issued by the department of revenue, motor carriers division. this division is then governed by the gooberment and all federal laws apply no matter what the local law says. therefore, federal law makes it illegal to carry in a vehicle that you are required to have a cdl to operate. i'll do more research and find out.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Or walk around on school property with a semi. :D

images

Hello-Pedo-Bear-why-dont-you-take-a-seat-over-there.jpg

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I asked this before from a friend that drives all over the Americas...

Here is his comment.

Fed DOT regs prohibit the posession of a firearm or other weapons on commercial vehicles... guess constitutional rights don't apply inside a truck... they did the same thing to airlines... took a few more deaths but now pilots can carry... guess it don't matter as long as its one trucker at a time... maybe it'll change when one is hijacked and his truck is used to kill a lot of people.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    it is not illegal under most circumstances. ive been doing it for years. i was just doing it today. if you are legal to carry then its fine in a truck. stay out of communist states and you will be fine.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I asked this before from a friend that drives all over the Americas...

Here is his comment.

Fed DOT regs prohibit the posession of a firearm or other weapons on commercial vehicles... guess constitutional rights don't apply inside a truck... they did the same thing to airlines... took a few more deaths but now pilots can carry... guess it don't matter as long as its one trucker at a time... maybe it'll change when one is hijacked and his truck is used to kill a lot of people.

Tell you what, you make him show you where in the Federal DOT regulations book that states they are prohibited. Bring a book to read and a snack to eat because he's going to be looking for a long time, because it's not there.

I'll tell you what he's stating, he's revering to someone in his company that as told him it's illegal, they do this so that in the end the company can not be help liable for a employees actions with a firearm if something was to happen.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Ive looked into this because I drive a commercial vehicle everyday. There are no federal laws resticting it. you are covered by your permit and the state you are in.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Again, as others have said, and said many time in the other threads I posted links to in my first reply, it is NOT illegal to carry in a CMV, so long as you have the proper license and are complying with the laws and regulations of the state/municipality/location in which you are traveling.

There is NO mention anywhere in the FMCSA guidelines that says carrying a firearm in a CMV is illegal. Search it yourself. Need further interpretation? See this post:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/95609-carry_in_a_cmv.html#post1097971

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Kill the myth. Stop it here.

Anyone who claims this is illegal should be challenged to cite a law.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom