Carrying in a strip mall store. Could be a legal trap?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    So I was visiting a store inside a strip mall in Greenwood the other day. The owner of the store was talking to a customer about how he hated guns and the people who carried them. He stated that its a felony to carry a gun inside his store due to the had a sign posted. Now I know signs don't hold the weight of the law. However the law states where it define schools as a building or structure where.......yadayadayada. My question is, Is the whole strip mall considered a building or structure? Or just his store? Stay with me: What if there is a learning facility like Sylvia in the strip mall. Would you be breaking the law by walking in his store which is not a learning facility but down the strip mall there is a learning facility? Seems like a legal trap to me.

Here are the reference of the law.

IC 35-47-9-1, Sec. 1
    IC 35-31.5-2-285

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I was visiting a store inside a strip mall in Greenwood the other day. The owner of the store was talking to a customer about how he hated guns and the people who carried them. He stated that its a felony to carry a gun inside his store due to the had a sign posted. Now I know signs don't hold the weight of the law. However the law states where it define schools as a building or structure where.......yadayadayada. My question is, Is the whole strip mall considered a building or structure? Or just his store? Stay with me: What if there is a learning facility like Sylvia in the strip mall. Would you be breaking the law by walking in his store which is not a learning facility but down the strip mall there is a learning facility? Seems like a legal trap to me.

Here are the reference of the law.

IC 35-47-9-1, Sec. 1
    IC 35-31.5-2-285

Sylvia learning centers aren't part of the K-12 "gun-free zones". It'd be closer to any college or private business that does education. Perfectly legal.

RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Ok say its a daycare in the strip mall. For sake of argument say IPS School 1,000 is in the stripmall. Would it being the strip mall be defined as building.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Is his store a school as defined under Indiana law? If not, then he is full of it. The only way a strip mall could be a school would be if it was owned by a school corporation and thereby "school property under the law. A daycare in a strip mall does not make the entire mall a gun free zone, only the daycare itself.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Bare with me, I'm trying to make sense of this as well. I think the OP was at a store in a strip mall where the owner of the store claimed through poorly worded signage that it was a felony to carry in his store due to there being some type of "learning center" in the mall. The store owner seems to believe that the "learning center" is a school and therefore the entire mall is somehow now school property. At least that's my take.

RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Is his store a school as defined under Indiana law? If not, then he is full of it. The only way a strip mall could be a school would be if it was owned by a school corporation and thereby "school property under the law. A daycare in a strip mall does not make the entire mall a gun free zone, only the daycare itself.
    This is what I wanted to know.

Since I have to frequent this store. I will still carry concealed, however I just won't buy anything in his store.

RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Bare with me, I'm trying to make sense of this as well. I think the OP was at a store in a strip mall where the owner of the store claimed through poorly worded signage that it was a felony to carry in his store due to there being some type of "learning center" in the mall. The store owner seems to believe that the "learning center" is a school and therefore the entire mall is somehow now school property. At least that's my take.

This is exactly what he was hinting at! Which scares me cause I have to frequent this store but don't want to disarm unless I have to. Now if he find out I carry and ask me to leave thats another thing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm a GW resident.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any bona-fide schools that are inside strip malls in GW. Learning centers like Sylvan - sure. Even a licensed daycare/childcare - sure.

But those don't count unless you're IN those facilities. Going into CitiFinancial right next to Sylvan would be 100% legal. For that matter, going IN Sylvan, armed, would be 100% legal because it's not a prohibited place in the I.C.

Now, Building Bridges Learning Center off Madison MAY very well be licensed and verboten via the I.C. (most assuredly is since it's a for-profit childcare business); but the Domino's Pizza place on the west end of that same building is OK.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    This is exactly what he was hinting at! Which scares me cause I have to frequent this store but don't want to disarm unless I have to. Now if he find out I carry and ask me to leave thats another thing.
    Your only concern should be to ensure that you wipe off of the stupid when you leave his store.

If I had overheard that conversation, I would have been tempted to politely inform him that I was legally carrying and why I would not be conducting business with him as I walked out the door. Of course, me being one to never let an opportunity to **** off a hoplophobe go to waste, I would probably then proceed to open carry outside his store in the hopes that he would call some of Greenwood's finest so that I could watch them flog him thoroughly with his own stupidity.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bare with me,
    I am not getting naked with you.

I'm trying to make sense of this as well. I think the OP was at a store in a strip mall where the owner of the store claimed through poorly worded signage that it was a felony to carry in his store due to there being some type of "learning center" in the mall. The store owner seems to believe that the "learning center" is a school and therefore the entire mall is somehow now school property. At least that's my take.

There's places where a post office is in a strip mall too.

In this case, (and the daycare/school) the GFZ stops at the door.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here's a fun one... A USAFA/USN/USMC/USA recruiter's office is in a mall (not a strip mall). No way to access the Recruiting station except through the mall. Does the GFZ apply to the entire mall?

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County

Wait all it has to be is owned by a school corporation? The building I work in is owned by a school pension. Does that count. And also is there something that prevents school corporations from owning regular buildings? The building im in is a office building with no school anything except owned by the orginazation.

Top Bottom