• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    So this got brought up in another thread and figured this question would be better suited in this forum. So the question; is carrying in a hospital off limits? What if the hospital has secured prisoner treatment area, would the whole hospital property then be off limits, just the secured area or not at all?

I have not ever seen where hospitals have been off limits, but I am not versed in all the laws either. I will be making alot of trips to the hospital over the next 8 months and would rather not be breaking any laws. I doubt anyone would notice as I CC, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Hospital in question is deaconas gateway in Evansville.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    As far as I know there isn't any law forbidding hospital carry. But I do know that IU has their doors tagged with 'NO Firearms permitted on hospital grounds" and their security doesn't like violators very much.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hospitals MAY have ordinances enacted under certain conditions:
    (7) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a public hospital corporation that contains a secure correctional health unit that is staffed by a law enforcement officer twenty-four (24) hours a day.
    and
    (11) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a hospital established and operated under IC 16-22-2 or IC 16-23

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    Hospitals MAY have ordinances enacted under certain conditions:

and

Ok so what I gathered from this is that it is not illegal unless they have one of these secured units manned by LEO 24 hours a day. So how would one find out if a certian hospital has one of these secure units? I have never seen any LEO in the hospital, but then again I haven't been to every location on the property either. I'm not sure if Deaconas Gateway in Evansville has one of these units, they do however have security guards on duty, but no metal detectors.

So would the general concenus be to leave your firearm in your vehicle if your not sure?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Deaconas is not a "public hospital corporation". It is a private, non-profit. I don't believe (7) applies.

Not sure about (11), mostly because I have no idea about IC 16-23 and Deaconas. Even then, Evansville does not have an ordinance against hospital carry. At most, I would guess Deaconas has a policy.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Screw the rules. Rules and policies are not the law.
    I believe only ONE hospital in Indiana fits the official "NOT LEGAL TO CARRY" requirements - and that's Wishard Hospital in Indy.

Unless things have changed at other facilities.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Doesn't St. V's on 86th have a secure wing?

Many of these laws need amending. I doubt you would ever get those parts removed, but I think they should require some signage and penalties for posting such signs where it doesn't apply. At least that way we'll know if we're violating the law, or just ignoring their feel good rules.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    At the place I work at (St Joseph-Mishawaka ) has signage banning 'weapons ' but that is a hospital policy not state law.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Roudebush VAMC says no guns in the hospital or on the grounds.

If I am not mistaken the VAMC being Veterans Affairs/Federal property signs carry weight of the law

I carry in hospitals everytime I've been to one as a visitor.

They did not have a secure prisoner section.

It's not like you can accidentally find yourself inside the secure prison ward part. If you do there were several failures on your and the staff's part. LOL

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Screw the rules. Rules and policies are not the law.
    I believe only ONE hospital in Indiana fits the official "NOT LEGAL TO CARRY" requirements - and that's Wishard Hospital in Indy.

Unless things have changed at other facilities.

Not unless you've got a time machine. Wishard is closed down. Esekenazi is the replacement, nearly in the same location but on the other side of Riley's.

Top Bottom