• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Yes! All except the VA Hospital, since it's federally regulated and federal property. Maybe against the policies of all others but not illegal.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Most have signs posted but that doesn't make it illegal. If they see your firearm and ask you to leave, you need to do so or at least take your firearm to your vehicle.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most likely, yes.

Not the VA, as mentioned (Federal). Not Escanazie (or however you spell it), as it has a "secure ward".

County/City hospitals may not make their own firearms rules (State Preemption). Private / Non-profit hospitals may have rules, just like any other business (IU Health, St. Vincent).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Grrrrr. Eldirector addressed it below. It`s Eskenazi. So, because it`s there...I shouldn`t even conceal and just leave if discovered, right? I don`t want to be disarmed, but I certainly don`t want trouble.

If they ask you to leave, leave. If there are signs, I wouldn't gamble on not being arrested for CT.

Teeth talk on the Internet makes little impression in court.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    VA hospitals and Eskanazi are about the only ones that are statutorily verboten in Indiana.

VA due to Federal facilities and the other due to the secure wing.

State Mental hospitals may also be verboten due to therefore nature but I'm not sure.

I personally don't know of any other "regular" hospitals in IN with secure zones like Eskanazi has.

All the rest will probably just have signage disallowing.

The ER at Methodist does have metal detectors and armed security for the public street-side entrance.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If they ask you to leave, leave. If there are signs, I wouldn't gamble on not being arrested for CT.

Teeth talk on the Internet makes little impression in court.

I will ad several could have designated wards for you in mates receiving care and or day care facilities. Union in Terre Haute has a ward with Federal Inmates. So they will ask you to leave.....once

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FWIW, the hospitals down here in bedford all have the "No Guns" signs up. But we had to go to the hospital in Paoli the other day and surprisingly, they didn't and they're an IU Health facility.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Eskenazi actually even has metal detectors. Had to go back to the car for my pocket knife.
    Also met either a trooper or a sheriff can't remember now who was carrying an amazing special edition Sig. Stopped and talked about it. Super nice guy. Said he wouldn't have bought it if not for the special police discount.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Eskanazi is a facility that houses inmates for medical treatment, as is Community South and Community North. If there are special deputies roaming the grounds, not security guards its a fair bet that the hospital is used as an emergency treatment center for DOC. Therefore it would lawfully be off limits for normal folks like us.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:…

(7) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a public hospital corporation that contains a secure correctional health unit that is staffed by a law enforcement officer twenty-four (24) hours a day….

(11) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a hospital established and operated under IC 16-22-2 or IC 16-23.

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-11.1-4

Everyone seems to for get about paragraph 11 which applies to county and municipal hospitals. These hospitals may​ restrict or prohibit the possession of firearms. Preemption does not apply to them.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Everyone seems to for get about paragraph 11 which applies to county and municipal hospitals. These hospitals may​ restrict or prohibit the possession of firearms. Preemption does not apply to them.

Lutheran Hospital - Fort Wayne

Went for a blood test this month. The doors have clear signage that Guns and Knives are prohibited. During check in there are about twenty questions you go through with the clerk and then electronically sign at the end of answering. They clearly ask that you are aware that guns are not permitted. It seemed like she asked twice. So by answering that I was aware of the rule in addition to the signage are they setting me up for a trespassing prosecution?

Interestingly as I sat in the lab area waiting room a couple security guards were quite stressed because some sketchy person from ER had wandered into a secure area. Glad that I was concealed carrying in addition to the being under the watchful eyes of Barney Fife.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Lutheran Hospital - Fort Wayne

Went for a blood test this month. The doors have clear signage that Guns and Knives are prohibited. During check in there are about twenty questions you go through with the clerk and then electronically sign at the end of answering. They clearly ask that you are aware that guns are not permitted. It seemed like she asked twice. So by answering that I was aware of the rule in addition to the signage are they setting me up for a trespassing prosecution?

Interestingly as I sat in the lab area waiting room a couple security guards were quite stressed because some sketchy person from ER had wandered into a secure area. Glad that I was concealed carrying in addition to the being under the watchful eyes of Barney Fife.

I would look at it more as "making sure you are aware" than "setting you up", but sure, knowing they are prohibited is a step in the trespassing direction, though probably neither necessary, nor sufficient...probably.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You're right. I had forgotten about that paragraph. I'm thinking those facilities ran by IU Health and St. Francis (like those in Bedford and Paoli) would not be eligible for that to apply to them since they're not county or municipal hospitals---right?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You're right. I had forgotten about that paragraph. I'm thinking those facilities ran by IU Health and St. Francis (like those in Bedford and Paoli) would not be eligible for that to apply to them since they're not county or municipal hospitals---right?

Private hospitals could always make their own rules.

Top Bottom