Carrying in IN with a MI CPL, talk to me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pyzik

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    SE MI
    Howdy neighbors, a Michigander here. I will be staying in your great state for a few months while working. I was wondering if there is anything in particular that anyone could or would like to share with me about carrying in your state.

I have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. I doubt I will be doing any open carrying, so we can just stick to concealed.

I plan on doing a ton or research this weekend before leaving. I just though this would be a great place to start.

I will be browsing your this site quite a bit during my visit.

I look forward to contributing and learning what I can

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    We have a pretty extensive FAQ (link in my sig) that covers a lot of where you can/cannot carry, etc. As long as your license/permit/thing is valid and verifiable, you should be GTG here so long as you don't stay long enough to claim residency.

Welcome to Indy, and enjoy your stay! :)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You are allowed to both OC and CC. So even if you prefer to CC, you don't have to worry about "printing" or it coming uncovered.

Some states have funny laws about carrying in a vehicle, but Indiana is not among those. Since you have a valid CPL, your weapon does not have to be stored anywhere special and does not need to be carried any special way: put it where you want whether it is visible or not.

If you get pulled over, you are not required to inform the officer (the question about whether you *should* or not is a completely different debate, though).

Going to a bar? Or any establishment that serves alcohol? No worries: you're still legal. But if asked to leave, for any reason, you risk being arrested for trespassing if you do not leave.

Indiana actually has pretty decent laws for permit/license-holders. Always room for improvement, of course, but it isn't as restrictive as many others.

Hope you have a good stay in Indiana, and welcome to INGO! Keep in touch on here, and you may be able to attend some INGO get-togethers while you're here.

Oh yeah.. and uh, INGO has a FAQ.

Last edited:

pyzik

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    SE MI
    Thanks for the info. Tried to view FAQs but am having trouble viewing on my phone. I'll take a look when I get home.

Jerry C

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Here is what the ISP says about open carrying in Ind. with a Michigan permit.

To Whom It May Concern:

IC 35-47-2-21 states: "[...]
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [...]"

Can you clarify what is meant by the phrase "according to the terms thereof"?

Specifically, I am a Michigan CPL holder inquiring as to the rights I am provided when carrying in Indiana.

* Can I open carry with a Michigan CPL?
    * Am I restricted by Indiana AND Michigan pistol free zones, or just Indiana?

Please elaborate on these topics.

Best regards,
    Aaron *********
    ISP Response:
    You are held to the restrictions of your license in your home state. Example: if you are issued a concealed carry permit in your home state, then the weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in the vehicle in your home state, then you cannot do so in Indiana.

Indiana does not regulate in establishments selling alcohol. If the law in your state is related to the terms under which you were issued your license, then you cannot do so in Indiana either. If you want to know that, then you need to contact your licensing authorities, not us.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302 100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263 MW2498

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here is what the ISP says about open carrying in Ind. with a Michigan permit.

To Whom It May Concern:

IC 35-47-2-21 states: "[...]
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [...]"

Can you clarify what is meant by the phrase "according to the terms thereof"?

Specifically, I am a Michigan CPL holder inquiring as to the rights I am provided when carrying in Indiana.

* Can I open carry with a Michigan CPL?
    * Am I restricted by Indiana AND Michigan pistol free zones, or just Indiana?

Please elaborate on these topics.

Best regards,
    Aaron *********
    ISP Response:
    You are held to the restrictions of your license in your home state. Example: if you are issued a concealed carry permit in your home state, then the weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in the vehicle in your home state, then you cannot do so in Indiana.

Indiana does not regulate in establishments selling alcohol. If the law in your state is related to the terms under which you were issued your license, then you cannot do so in Indiana either. If you want to know that, then you need to contact your licensing authorities, not us.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302 100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263 MW2498

Hmmm... that causes me to furrow my brow. I have always read that when travelling, you are subject to the laws of whichever state you are in. The response you got stands in direct opposition to that concept, though. :dunno:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmmm... that causes me to furrow my brow. I have always read that when travelling, you are subject to the laws of whichever state you are in. The response you got stands in direct opposition to that concept, though. :dunno:

Yeah. My understanding is Indiana is weird like that. I'm not sure how they expect the police to not only know Indiana gun laws, which I've seen and heard individual officers get wrong more than once, but also know all the carry laws from every different state around the country that issues licenses/permits, and even foreign countries (those are honored here, too).

But Indiana is pretty lax about where you can and can't go. I checked Handgunlaw.us, and it looks like Michigan has the same places you can't carry as Indiana, with a few additions. So basically, as long as you stick with what would be legal in Michigan, you should be fine here.

That said, I've never heard of anybody actually getting arrested for doing something that is not legal in another state, but otherwise is just fine here (like carrying into a bar, for example). That does NOT mean it's never happened... only that I haven't heard about it.

Top Bottom