• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curtissp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm a newibe so please excuse if I sound stupid. Interested in any of you have had any encounters with LEO in NW Indiana. I'm from Merrillville to be exact and they were very friendly when I finised my LTCH application in and out in 15 mintues. Guess what I'm looking for is which PD are frendily and which ones are not do I have anything to worry about. Don't think will do the the OC thing but maby concelaed after comfortable with my handgun. I mostly hang out in NW Indiana and don't go down south much. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Curtiss

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I got my LTCH back in June and got my first handgun a few days after. I don't know about the PD's because I always CC, except around my house. Welcome to INGO :ingo:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I live in NWI and I have never encountered any issues. Be careful not to travel across the border into IL without forgetting you are carrying.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Just keep it concealed and they'll never know unless you have to use it. If you ever get pulled over or stopped by the police for whatever reason and don't want a chance of having any problems then just don't inform them you are carrying. Indiana does not require you to inform the LEO you are carrying.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I tend to agree with everyone else, keep it concealed and you won't have any problems. I have been carrying concealed for a couple years now and have had no problems.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    same here, been cc'in for twenty years or so, never had a single issue. i've also had my cc go oc on occasion over the years (ie shirt riding up and didn't notice etc.) and never had an issue. good luck and stay safe!!

chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    Personally no problems but I don't open carry often. Brother in law has had issues driving thru St.John and I've read several complaints about St. John cops and carry encounters.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I had someone spot my gun once at the Schererville theater. My coat rode up over it when I got up at the end of the movie and someone ran to the officer in the lobby. He followed me out as I was leaving and stopped me to ask if I had a gun on my him.

"Yes sir I do"

"Permit of course?"

"Of course"

Just asked to see my permit without me touching my gun. Said he told the lady "you know this is Indiana right, there were probably 10 people in there with guns" But he still had to double check since she did come to him. Told me to have a good day... end of story.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I OC all over NWI and never had a problem. Places I've been OC'ing: Crown Point, Cedar Lake, Lowell, Merrillville, Scheriville, St. John, Whiting, Hammond, Gary, Portage and many more. I've been carrying OC for 3 years now and never had one issue, had a discussion or two but they were friendly and people were inquiring about how to get their LTCH.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I OC all over NWI and never had a problem. Places I've been OC'ing: Crown Point, Cedar Lake, Lowell, Merrillville, Scheriville, St. John, Whiting, Hammond, Gary, Portage and many more. I've been carrying OC for 3 years now and never had one issue, had a discussion or two but they were friendly and people were inquiring about how to get their LTCH.

Andy OCs all the time! I'd also point out that Andy generally dresses in "business casual" or ever a bit nicer most times that I see him. Dress slacks and a nice shirt . . . and a big gun on his hip.

While I usually CC, on the occasions that I OC, I have never had anyone ever question me. I've OC'd in the Starbucks, Tractor Supply and Strack & Van Til in ST JOHN where everyone claims the city is not gun friendly. I've bought and sold guns in the parking lot of Tractor Supply in plain sight of everyone and nobody ever said a peep. I will say, on the days that I openly carry I tend to dress like Andy. He is my role model :): But seriously if you CC nobody will ever bother you. If you OC then I recommend you dress up a bit and look respectable. Show respect to get respect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I think I tend to OC more often than CC around NWI. CC is usually when I grab my LCP and stick it in my pocket when going out someplace nice, bicycle riding or Church. I will OC otherwise around the region and have not had any bad experiences with a LEO...(yet). As with everything, there is always a first time

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I had someone spot my gun once at the Schererville theater. My coat rode up over it when I got up at the end of the movie and someone ran to the officer in the lobby. He followed me out as I was leaving and stopped me to ask if I had a gun on my him.

"Yes sir I do"

"Permit of course?"

"Of course"

Just asked to see my permit without me touching my gun. Said he told the lady "you know this is Indiana right, there were probably 10 people in there with guns" But he still had to double check since she did come to him. Told me to have a good day... end of story.

Well if we were both at the same movie there were at least two. :D

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN

But seriously if you CC nobody will ever bother you. If you OC then I recommend you dress up a bit and look respectable. Show respect to get respect.

I OC 25% of the time, CC 70% of the time and that remaining 5% goes to those occasional times where my shirt rolls up over my weapon
    and "partially exposes" the weapon. From an outsiders perspective, someone is more likely to be frightened or concerned if they see a 'partially hidden' firearm.

I've never had an issue OC'ing *OR* CC'ing... but have only had questions or flags raised in curiosity before when it accidentally shows its' ass. :D

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    My CC is OC with the way I dress. Even covered there is no question that I have a gun (or a really funny shaped hamster) on my hip. Never had a word said by an adult. I do get a lot of giggling and pointing kids?!?

Top Bottom