• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated. Once I purchase my pistol I am planning on eventually taking the 3 day course at Kodiak BEFORE I start carrying. The last thing I want is to get my fiancee or I injured or killed just because I feel like I can eliminate a threat with my gun without training and then something goes horribly wrong. I'm pretty much set on the m&p now. I'm going to call Kodiak later and see if they can order me the m&p with the manual safety which I'm sure they can.

dreich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Anderson area
    I to carry the XDs 45 IWB using a N82tactical holster at 5 o'clock. I like the fact the XDs has a grip safety but i also carry Glock and Kahr at other times because the holster has good trigger cover.

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I agree get a good quality holster and u shouldn't have a problem.... If u don't feel comfortable try some different holsters or take a firearms class

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    M&P is an awesome gun. I have the 9mm full size and Shield. The full size doesn't have a thumb safety and I don't carry the Shield with the safety on. Good holster and training! Follow the four rules of firearms safety.

As for training...Mindset Laboratory's classes are really helpful. It's great training that actually puts you through real stressful situations and makes you make decisions while having the option of actually shooting someone with a training Glock. The stress is real and very enlightening.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've got an m&p 9c I carry in an iwb and have had no issues. Just make sure the trigger is covered and you're good to go. I never re-holster my weapon without taking the holster off however. Just in case, I would hate to shoot myself account of clothes or something snagging the trigger. Just my 2 cents though.

That would make for some looooooong practice sessions. Proper training with the proper holster will boost your confidence and abilities.

Bob

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I think that there are so many choices for concealed carry from firearms to holsters, I started with a full sized XD .45 in a fobus paddle holster. I carried that way for a few years, I bought a Subcompact XD .40, carried that in the same holster till I got the XDs .45 and I carried that in an iwb holster. In the winter time I carry an XDM 3.8" compact 9mm in a custom kydex iwb holster. I think its a bit of trial and error to find what works the best for you, no two persons are ever really going to agree on the best way to carry a firearm. Hammers, strikers and saftys oh my... carry chambered or not, hammer cocked and locked or a striker with a thumb safety, or no safety. Being afraid of your gun is dangerous, respecting it and knowing how to use it and being a part of your everyday system is in my opinion the best way to be...

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    You'll get used to carrying one in the pipe without a safety. Definitely a holster with good retention. Practice, practice, practice shooting and carrying. It will become second nature.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My EDC has a safety but I never use it. It is DA/SA so, for me, the DA being somewhat longer serves the same purpose. As for carrying a full size IWB? I've carried a CZ-75B IWB and had no problem with it. Carry what you shoot best.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I don't get the never reholster without removing the holster thing. I do get keeping coonfingering the gun to a minimum, but you should practice/train on presenting from the holster and reholstering. What are you going to do if you ever need to draw the gun for real? Whether you shoot or not, being able to reholster will be a needed skill at some point.

If worried about re-holstering in a SD situation, I think you're focused on the wrong skill.

It is important...very important...to be practiced in getting the gun OUT and into play. But re-holstering in an IWB holster...especially more flexible leather ones...in a typical IWB position, means clothing in the the way and more difficulty having a good eye on the gun putting it back. This creates a greater risk of negligent discharge than other situations. Just saw an off-duty officer shot himself inside a gun store in just such a way.

If I'm using a clip-on style holster for carry, I typically remove it to re-holster if I'm doing drills with the gun. If it's a belt-threaded model, I'll do most of my drills without a round in the chamber.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Carry however you feel comfortable. You may go through stages, different guns, holsters, etc. I decided Glock was my main defense weapon, so I got used to carrying in Condition Zero.

nashfred01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hate safeties! If you have to draw and fire, the less things you have to do, the better! None of mine have safeties and I have never had a prob. Like others have said, get a good holster and keep your finger of the trigger until you need to kill something. Practice, practice, practice!

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the upcoming purchase. You can't go wrong with either option as they are both reliable. Make sure the selected holster conceals well and retains form for easy and safe reholstering.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Google "yankee marshall - carrying a gun safely". I would get the link in here for you, if I could. This guy can get a little strange at times, but this video is very informative.
    It is mainly comparing revolvers to semi-autos without safeties. He does in my opinion, explain once and for all, why you CAN carry a modern firearm, with one in the chamber -
    with no worries.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom