• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    As many of you know I recently did several things and I will list them real quick probably followed by keyboard diarrhea. I open carry religiously, I bought a gun for my son at the age of 6, and I open carry religiously.

I was told tonight that my decision to open carry was irresponsible and I should never have had my gun on my hip at my sons bowling party at the bowling alley. I was informed that had it not been my sons birthday party that his great uncle would have pulled me out of there and whooped my ass for being so irresponsible as to carry a gun around kids in a proper retention holster. I was also informed that commenting to another gun owner that if we missed any pins we could always just shoot them down was completely irresponsible and that someone that overheard thought I would actually do it.

I was also informed that buying a gun for my son is ridiculous and that he is going to shoot both me and his mother. I was told that I was not a responsible gun owner because I go out to the back of the house and shoot steel targets or paper targets into a berm that are approximately 75 yards away, note that this person has never actually watched me shoot just has been around when I have done so.

I was told that my open carrying is irresponsible so I posed the question what is the difference between a police man open carrying and me, do I not have the same right to protect myself? What is the difference between my shirt covering my gun and not covering my gun? Open carrying also supposedly brings trouble even though I have had nothing but courteous interactions since I started carrying and in fact have had the oppurtunity to educate people on how to get their license and where to seek training.

So now to appease everyone it is all locked, unloaded, bolt removed, magazine dropped, and pretty much dishoveled into the safe....

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    So now to appease everyone it is all locked, unloaded, bolt removed, magazine dropped, and pretty much dishoveled into the safe....

Stick to your guns. Literally, and figuratively. Just because someone does not approve of your actions does not mean you are in the wrong. I don't know exactly how you feel, but I can at least understand the gist of what you may be going through. Both of my parents are not a fan of me owning firearms, and being a student I don't have any option but to surrender my carry weapon when staying at home.

What are the reactions of other people like? You mentioned nothing but positive reactions since carrying. Focus on these. The words of one naysayer should not overweigh the evidence of positive attitudes and your own convictions. Stay strong.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Everyone has a right to their opinion. Let them jawjack and if someone wants to whoop your ass for doing it then I guess it's time to dance. Don't stop doing what you do because of what they think.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    And with the whole kids and guns thing. My son is 8 and has a shotgun and a rifle. He hunts and has alot of hands on safety training with guns. I would rather him know that they are not toys and have the ability to handle them and know what they are capable of so he can respect them properly. I know he won't be playing with guns and shooting himself or another child.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Stick to your guns. Literally, and figuratively. Just because someone does not approve of your actions does not mean you are in the wrong. I don't know exactly how you feel, but I can at least understand the gist of what you may be going through. Both of my parents are not a fan of me owning firearms, and being a student I don't have any option but to surrender my carry weapon when staying at home.

What are the reactions of other people like? You mentioned nothing but positive reactions since carrying. Focus on these. The words of one naysayer should not overweigh the evidence of positive attitudes and your own convictions. Stay strong.

The words of the naysayers carry enough weight from whence they come that they could crush my life down around me. This is not a no guns sign, or a misinformed person of the public, but people that have also in the past tried to have me put in jail.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't know your personal situation, but I do not believe I would continue to associate with people who threatened to "whoop my ass". I don't care if they're family or not, no one has the right to talk to me like that and they would no longer be welcome at my house.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Birthday was in a public place, as is usual my wife chose to tell me tonight that her family wasn't happy with my decisions as of late. As usual I got extremely upset, misdirected it to someone that was forced to defend the actions of other people because I wanted someone to deal with what they had started, and now feel pretty horrible. I tried to go apologize and shes not awake or talking to me either one. It's almost as if I am not welcome in their family.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have some hard decisions coming up and I don't envy you.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Interesting... You OC and great uncle threatens you with his fists because you're dangerous. Sounds like great uncle didn't learn much civility over the years.

It was YOUR son's birthday party at a venue open to the public. Great uncle should keep his mouth shut.

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    i got my first gun when i was 8. have i ever shot my anyone? no. it gave me such a respect for firearms safety that i have shot with some people who i will never shoot with again because of thier neglegence with firearms. its the older guy that just bought his first gun that you have to worry about, not the one who has been responsibly shooting since age six

Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I carry with discretion, but it is your right to open carry. You only one who cares is you!!
    I like to carry under my shirt, but if you carry out, power to you. I guess you will always deal with people who are frightened when they see your gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You can't make everyone happy. There will always be someone in your life who will flame you for your thoughts and beliefs. Even for you carrying a gun.

I know exactly what your talking about. My parent in-laws don't like me carrying. They aren't anti gun by any means. Just don't think carrying a gun is necessary.

Which is one reason I CC. They still know I'm carrying, but are more comfortable because they can't see it.

I hope things work out for you.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    You can't make everyone happy. There will always be someone in your life who will flame you for your thoughts and beliefs. Even for you carrying a gun.

I know exactly what your talking about. My parent in-laws don't like me carrying. They aren't anti gun by any means. Just don't think carrying a gun is necessary.

Which is one reason I CC. They still know I'm carrying, but are more comfortable because they can't see it.

I hope things work out for you.

see thats my biggest complaint if it is okay to CC and it doesn't bother people than what is the difference if I OC? I don't see one I really don't.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    People don't like OC because they see the gun. They think your trying to be a cowboy. They just don't get why we should carry.

I'm not bashing OCing at all. I do it occasionally. But I have found that CCing is the better way if your family puts you in a situation like you are.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    People don't like OC because they see the gun. They think your trying to be a cowboy. They just don't get why we should carry.

I'm not bashing OCing at all. I do it occasionally. But I have found that CCing is the better way if your family puts you in a situation like you are.

while I don't disagree with you one of the things they were preaching at her about me is that OCing draws trouble which simply hasn't happened except for the guy that entirely too much to drink saying he would have ripped me out of the bowling alley and then proceeded to drive home drunk across two counties.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You have a few choices. You can just keep your gun in the safe and never carry again.
    Continue to OC, and have your family hate you. Your wife not talk to you. (why your wife isn't standing up for you is beyond me)
    Or CC, and very patiently and slowly, educate everybody why guns aren't evil. They won't know your carrying if you CC carefully.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Top Bottom