• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK so I have a question for all of you... How do you carry and secure your long guns in you vehicle? Currently I am securing mine with a security cable and lock, but I'm not thrilled with that method... however I'm not really sure I want to spend $500 or $600 on an in-vehicle safe.

So give me your opinions, options, etc...

Thanks

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    depends on what the firearm is in the vehicle for to me. the cable is easily cut through with bolt cutters, but is still a deterrent. i thought about building a metal box and bolting it to the frame, yet i always come back to the idea that tinting the windows does just as well to keep prying eyes out of my vehicle.

if a thief sees your gun cable locked in your floorboard, he's obviously gonna go after it. with blacked out windows, he sees nothing.

if the firearm were to be in there for extended times, id consider the box bolted to the frame.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Just a heads up...the blacked out tint (which lets in 20% of light or less) makes backing up and changing lanes not so much fun especially at night and during the winter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just guessing here:

Older vehicle, less of a target.
    No gun or 2A or (sorry) INGO stickers.
    Policing other stuff in plane sight from interior.
    No carrying of long packages to or from vehicle in the open.
    Again sorry, no OC in or out of vehicle with long gun inside.

Last edited:

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Are you talking about long term storage, or just transporting to the range, field, etc? If someone is determined and has enough time they'll more than likely be able to defeat whatever security you have in place, so your best bet is always make sure however you decide to carry your firearms, make sure they aren't noticeable. Hard to steal something if you don't know it's there. keep your guns in the trunk and keep your glovebox locked (if the trunk release button is in there). If you're super paranoid, or plan on storing for a long time, I like the idea of a lockbox mounted somewhere in the trunk.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Are you talking about long term storage, or just transporting to the range, field, etc? If someone is determined and has enough time they'll more than likely be able to defeat whatever security you have in place, so your best bet is always make sure however you decide to carry your firearms, make sure they aren't noticeable. Hard to steal something if you don't know it's there. keep your guns in the trunk and keep your glovebox locked (if the trunk release button is in there). If you're super paranoid, or plan on storing for a long time, I like the idea of a lockbox mounted somewhere in the trunk.

If the person has already broke into your vehicle whats a measly lock on a glove box going to do for you?

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    If the person has already broke into your vehicle whats a measly lock on a glove box going to do for you?

People breaking into cars are pretty jumpy and don't want to spend the time trying to jimmy/screwdriver a lock looking for the trunk release. They're just looking for a quick snatch and grab. In reality, it might not do much to keep your glovebox locked, but on the other hand, why wouldn't you if there's a chance it could keep some chump from taking your guns?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I cannot speak to a gun in the vehicle. Break in avoidance is a very important issue to a lot of us though. I wonder how much attention is paid to where you park?

Back of the lot in the open?
    Under the lot lights?
    In the parking garage? On the street?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Go to the next 1500... talk to this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLLmFyfUXg

I gotta ask what others think of this. The idea is a good one. It looks easily accessible to a thief. Thin metal, flimsy, simple solenoid ejection, the width alone causes the drawer to flex when he closes it. It Ppears to be too simple to pry open. Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception from the video.

Out of site is one of the best deterrents there is. None are cool proof and completely secure. Alarm, locks, trays, false panels, maybe a K9 would help.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I gotta ask what others think of this. The idea is a good one. It looks easily accessible to a thief. Thin metal, flimsy, simple solenoid ejection, the width alone causes the drawer to flex when he closes it. It Ppears to be too simple to pry open. Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception from the video.

Out of site is one of the best deterrents there is. None are cool proof and completely secure. Alarm, locks, trays, false panels, maybe a K9 would help.

It looks looks like a keep it out of the way then a keep it safe thing. I think it is really cool though. most of my rifle's are to long to transport side ways in my car (PT Cruizer). I have to put at least one of my rear seats down when transporting rifle's. I only transport to and from range.

I have a Mossburg 500 JIC that I have thought about trying to mount & hide but I don't think it is going to be practical. Probably won't happen.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    What are you trying to protect with your in car long gun that is not worth the $500 or $600 on an in-vehicle safe?:rolleyes:
    If you are just going to the range & back a lock cable with an alarm system will
    work. Anyone trying to break-in will set off the alarm & won't have time to mess with the cabled firearm.;)

If you are wanting to have a SHTF rifle with you at all times you could try this.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv81by19KvY[/ame]

Last edited:

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but I'll share it again... Last time I was at the range, the FBI was out qualifying and I noticed their crown Vic's were outfitted with a simple trunk mechanism. The tie down where the spare tire goes, was replaced with a heavy eyelet. Then chain was threaded through the supports in the trunk lid and a lock was used to limit the opening movement. So you would have to crack the trunk, reach in and unlock the padlock, and then you'd have access to the trunk.

Mace010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    East Central
    Have to agree out of sight out of mind! Tinted windows go a long way, alarm system, cable or Safe. If leaving them in your car without you around there is no substitution for preparedness and for thought. But if someone wants it bad enough nothing can make it perfectly safe

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    At a garage sale I found a padded gun vault. It bolts to trunk floor and is secured with a twist tool box style lock. It belonged to a police officer. (I bet I paid for it twice) It did not come with a key. So once I get a new lock for it I will install it. It is not real long but will accommodate, an M4, 500A, CETME, 10/22, Mini 14, AK Maybe a short Rem 700 Tactical or some such. Depending on optics it could hold 4 guns. It seems secure enough to me, no good place to pry on, 18 ga steel. Nothing is perfect but it would be easier to steel the car than break into it.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Don't leave it in the car is the best way to secure it.
    Why are we doing this? Like a trunk gun? cant carry handgun? Why such a need for this?

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I got my case for travel. As I am heading to MN to visit Smokingman's new place. I wanted a secure way to travel thru the grand craptastic state of IL. I have no intent of constantly leaving a firearm in there.

Top Bottom