• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    There is no law that prohibits carrying on an IU or any other college campus in Indiana. It is only an IU policy. If you are a student, if caught, you could, and probably would be expelled. If you are an IU employee, you would be disciplined and could be fired. If you are just visiting, all they can do is ask you to leave.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    I have looked into this myself before, as I plan to attend IU next fall.
    If you check out IU's Police Department website, there will be a FAQ link, where there is a question about weapons on campus. The section states that carrying a weapon on campus is alright, if you have written permission for the Chief of Police. I'm guessing that is for students only? Hope this helps!

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If you check out IU's Police Department website, there will be a FAQ link, where there is a question about weapons on campus. The section states that carrying a weapon on campus is alright, if you have written permission for the Chief of Police. I'm guessing that is for students only? Hope this helps!

Chief signs off on LTCH... :dunno:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

IUPD is wrong on the subject. I guess if you get "permission" then they won't take and administrative action against an associate, but they cannot do anything to anyone legally speaking (except trespass I suppose if an agent authorized by the school asks you to leave and you refuse.)\

Firearms? Are weapons allowed on campus?

Firearms are not allowed on campus unless you have received written permission from the Chief of Police. Violation of this University Policy will result in application of any relevant Indiana Statutes as well as University sanctions. For additional information consult IU Human Resources the IU Student Code of Conduct.

There are no applicable ICs, so they're just trying to scare you into keeping the bad bad guns off campus :patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009

Straight from IU's Police Department FAQ page...

Firearms? Are weapons allowed on campus?

Firearms are not allowed on campus unless you have received written permission from the Chief of Police. Violation of this University Policy will result in application of any relevant Indiana Statutes as well as University sanctions. For additional information consult IU Human Resources the IU Student Code of Conduct.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    IUPD is wrong on the subject. I guess if you get "permission" then they won't take and administrative action against an associate, but they cannot do anything to anyone legally speaking (except trespass I suppose if an agent authorized by the school asks you to leave and you refuse.)

There are no applicable ICs, so they're just trying to scare you into keeping the bad bad guns off campus :patriot:

Sorry. beat me to it Nate

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

Also true. Had I know then what I know now, I never would have gotten the letter and told BPD to show me where in the IC I am required to make that step. But I did, and there was a nice lil letter from the IUPD chief stating that I was a good candidate for the LTCH. Maybe that's permission... :popcorn:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    here's their administrative policy on firearms according to the Code:

Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to law or university policy; possession or display of any firearm on university property, except in the course of an authorized activity.

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    thanks for all the replies. I am not a student but find myself on campus from time to time (football/basketball games and concerts ect..) I figured some of you guys had researched this before an knew the ins and outs. I actually work on IU property, but certainly dont carry to work. not really necessary and do not want to become a "red flag" with human resources by asking too many questions

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    There is no law that prohibits carrying on an IU or any other college campus in Indiana. It is only an IU policy. If you are a student, if caught, you could, and probably would be expelled. If you are an IU employee, you would be disciplined and could be fired. If you are just visiting, all they can do is ask you to leave.

Yup.

Big-*** knives are apparently OK though. Iv whipped out a Boker Mini-smatchet once or twice and nobody said anything.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What is really sad about the carry versus prohibited on IU campus is that great shooting range on the campus that is collecting dust. I believe it was the late Miles Brand that banned use of the facility. Seems it scared him seeing students carrying rifles and shotguns around the campus. Also sad was his shutting down a nationally recognized shooting team.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The section states that carrying a weapon on campus is alright, if you have written permission for the Chief of Police.

That refers to the IUPD Chief. To my knowledge, it has never been done. What has been said before is correct. Faculty/Staff/Students are subject to IU policy and if caught carrying on campus would be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination/expulsion. Visitors to campus will be asked to leave or cited for trespassing.

Up to the mid-90's, IU staff members holding a valid LTCH could carry on campus, but the policy was changed under Myles Brand (and the gun club was thrown off campus as well).

I would like to see our state legislature take this up and overrule it as happened in Utah.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    My next door neighbor is an IUPD officer and he told me even if you are driving through campus and have a gun in the car (for any reason) it will most likely be confiscated (hunting guns can too but not likely)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    My next door neighbor is an IUPD officer and he told me even if you are driving through campus and have a gun in the car (for any reason) it will most likely be confiscated (hunting guns can too but not likely)

your next door neighbor is then illegally seizing property. There is no justification for that. IUPD is pretty bad about teaching their officers law though, most I've talked to think OC is illegal.

MolonLabe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    It would depend on how the courts of defined a school for the purposes of IC 35-47-9. It spells out pretty specifically who is, and who is not, allowed to carry on school property.

I don't know of any specific Indiana legal challenges. Saying there's no law is a bit like putting the cart before the horse. There IS a law which prohibits the carrying of firearms on school property, but I'm not sure if there's a definition of school out there (in some obscure case law) which states that a university isn't considered a school for the purposes of that Chapter of the Indiana Code.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    It would depend on how the courts of defined a school for the purposes of IC 35-47-9. It spells out pretty specifically who is, and who is not, allowed to carry on school property.

I don't know of any specific Indiana legal challenges. Saying there's no law is a bit like putting the cart before the horse. There IS a law which prohibits the carrying of firearms on school property, but I'm not sure if there's a definition of school out there (in some obscure case law) which states that a university isn't considered a school for the purposes of that Chapter of the Indiana Code.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...454-gun_in_school_parking_lot.html#post669721

Seeing as you posted very similar responses in both threads, I'll just link here to there. ^.^

Top Bottom