• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, do you carry any spares magazines on your body or are the extra mags in the car just over and above that?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I shoot a lot of military surplus - some 50 -60 years old. I am very sure the ammo from England, Romania, Russia, Yugo, Turkey or even the USA was not stored in air conditioned heated warehouses, and sure it was shipped via ocean traffic! Never had any problem with FTF or other problems. Most loaded ammo is pretty impervious to moisture, temperature (at the time of firing) will affect the velocity of the round - some powders worse than other, I have read stored powder will deteriorate faster at higher temperatures but have never seen any graphs showing time span / temperature . I have measured the velocity of several different (old) ammo such as 30-06, 9 mm largo 8 mm mauser and most seems to be right in the manufacturing spec range.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i keep a 33 round mag for my g19 in the center console and an extra 10 round mag in the cupholder. been doing this for a couple years and no issues. heres another magazine question for the smart guys. i know of a couple of guys who refuse to keep their magazines loaded to capacity if they are going to be sitting around for a while. in other words they say its ok to run a full load if your at the range and will be shooting them off fairly soon. the reason being is that they tell me a fully loaded magazine that sits around for a while will put undue pressure on the mag springs and wear em out or cause malfuntions. at face value it makes sense so i always leave that last round out. anyone else adhere to this school of thought or is it a non issue?

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I keep G17 mags loaded in my car for about 6 months then take them out and shoot the ammo reload then leave for another 6 months. So far it has worked for me.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    I've wondered about this as well. Usually keep my spare mags in my bag that comes in the house with me when I get home but I think ill stash a few mags in the truck from now on.
    As far as loading my mags I load em all the way. That's what they're supposed to hold.

Top Bottom