• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jphillip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    This is probably a stupid question, but I am new to range etiquette, as I usually just shoot on a friends property. I have my LTCH, but do I have to have my gun locked in its case when carrying into the range, or can I carry it as i always do(at my hip with loaded clip)?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is probably a stupid question, but I am new to range etiquette, as I usually just shoot on a friends property. I have my LTCH, but do I have to have my gun locked in its case when carrying into the range, or can I carry it as i always do(at my hip with loaded clip)?

Varies from range to range, the range I use REQUIRES the gun to either be in the case, or in a HOLSTER, and they will provide you WITH a holster if you don't have one (yes, Applied Ballistics).

Normally, I go in with my gun holstered. Any other guns I may be shooting that day, are in cases.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeap, depends on the range. Some ranges not allow loaded firearms (including your carry) behind the line unless the range is called hot, and no drawing from holsters. Others DO allow you to shoot your carry. I'd check the range rules or call ahead.

Jphillip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks, bobbittle! That is all i needed to know.

You all gave very useful information. Also, I am new to the Indianapolis area and I am trying to find the cheapest ammo without having to drive very far. Gander Mountain is the cheapest I can find. Is there anything else around?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I belong to Red Brush and Danial Boone and neither has any prohibition against carrying into or at the range. In fact while at Boone I not only carry a side arm that I'm not going to shoot but if I'm the only one there I'll turn my electronic ear phones on. The firing line is close to the highway and there is just a flimsy gate across the drive. I don't want anyone walking up behind me when I'm concentrating on my targets. I was there a few years ago and a couple dudes drove up (through the unlocked gate that another member left open), parked and took a few long guns out and walked up asking if they could shoot. There were a couple other members there with me and we told them no. They left peacefully but I didn't like the whole incident.

At Red Brush we are all anal about locking the gate and the fence is a good 6-7 feet high.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Thanks, bobbittle! That is all i needed to know.

You all gave very useful information. Also, I am new to the Indianapolis area and I am trying to find the cheapest ammo without having to drive very far. Gander Mountain is the cheapest I can find. Is there anything else around?

Walmart.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gander Mountain is the cheapest you can find? OK.

My friend, most places are cheaper that GM, except for Don's Guns. However, if you live next door to a GM, you should figure in time a fuel cost. Therefore GM could be the cheapest.

In todays economy, every dime counts; so count every dime.

Vv

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    as said above depends on the range.

what Range do you plan to shoot at and we can provide better answers to your question? I am an RSO at eagle creek pistol range and a member at Marion County Fish and game and they have very different rules on how you can bring your gun to the range.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville

First Welcome to INGO :ingo:

Second you will get a whole bunch of poo for using that word unless you are walking into the gun range with an M1 :):

As for ammo prices, I just picked up 100 rounds of PMC 55gr at Bradis for $40. There is a reason why they were voted INGO gun shop of the year. They have a great staff and many of them are very active on this board, not selling or pushing the store, but range reports, AAR's on gear, guns, and everything esle that goes with it!

I am also a member of arfcom but I don't post much there as they are a bit snobbish on replies. Here 99% of the people are down to earth and give supportive comments, unless you awaken Printcraft...

Other than that shop around, depending on what side of town you are on there are deals to be had on ammo besides GM.

Top Bottom