• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I would not be able to carry at my place of employment, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to carry to and from work. So my question is, what do you do with your firearm while at work? The only thing that I can think of is to lock it in the glove compartment. Is that secure enough, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    recoil spring guide

Sometimes my job takes me into places where I can't bring my gun. One of the extra precautions I take is to do dissassample it and take the recoil spring guide in with me. I figure that way even if it does get stolen that at least it won't function.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    Becareful with your company, they might have a policy that prohibits any firearms on company property, meaning the parking lot. In the unlikely event that they would know that you are storing your firearm in your car, you could be in "hot water". I have personally witnessed the "hot water" event with a co-worker. All due to the company property thing.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I've read the company handbook, and there's nothing in there about storing weapons on the property. In any event, I don't plan on letting anyone at work know that I have it.

Thanks for the advice though.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    IIRC, the "company property" issue was negated in Florida sometime in the not-too-distant past. I don't believe any employer with a legal team who stays current wants to open that can of worms in Indiana.

ETA: thanks for the link to the cabela's ad, that looks like a darn good idea, no matter what

Last edited:

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Hopefully the law will be changed soon so we can leave our guns in our cars while parked on the employer's lot whether they like it or not.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I knew about this when I took the job, but I still think its wrong for it to be illegal for me to securely store a firearm in my vehicle while I'm at work. I work for a public school district and Indiana law prohibits firearms on any school property public or private. I doubt changing the law for regular employers would affect this. I've considered parking off property but the neighborhood is very questionable. Our parking lot is fenced in with video surveillance. I like the idea of removing the guide rod and spring while I'm gone.

I must say I have mixed feelings about forcing employers to allow firearms on the property. I certainly believe in 2A rights, but I believe in property rights too. If I were an employer I would have no such prohibition on my property. However, the question must be asked, who are we to force private property owners to allow firearms? After all, no one is forcing anyone to work there. Am I wrong?

Glockster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    I would not be able to carry at my place of employment, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to carry to and from work. So my question is, what do you do with your firearm while at work? The only thing that I can think of is to lock it in the glove compartment. Is that secure enough, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I think they passed a law now stating that you can store your pistol in your truck while at place of employment. If they tell you to leave it at home, Sue em. But i dont think i would tell them lol:rolleyes:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    The only time I ever left my gun at home was when I worked at the airport. They told us the feds could check our cars and it wasn't a good idea. I've always held to the don't ask don't tell. They only have me 8 hrs, the rest of the day is mine, the truck is mine and the right to bear arms is mine. The car safe is what I used to keep my pistol in, we had multiple break ins on the parking lot, I always ragged the bosses about carrying in case the robbers were there when we got off work, didn't work.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    Carrying to work

I agree with the above posts. I purchased a "car safe" about
    a year ago and have it mounted on my overhead, works great:shady:

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I think they passed a law now stating that you can store your pistol in your truck while at place of employment. If they tell you to leave it at home, Sue em. But i dont think i would tell them lol:rolleyes:

Do you have any more information on this law? My employer has always been "no firearms on property" even when they were paying for on-site security 6 days a week. IF I were to keep it in my vehicle and somehow they suspected it, even though I practice the don't tell policy, and I got fired for it. Would I have a case in sueing them? I thought indiana was an employment at will state? Indiana Employers can terminate without stating reason? I only ask because sh!t happens no matter where you are or what time of day. I've even witnessed a highspeed police chase go right thru the parking lot of this employer! yet they don't want their employees to protect themselves before or after work. The other funny thing. Same employer has said they are not responsible for employees before they are on the clock(non-exempt) but are responsible for after clocking out, until employee has left property.

Does anyone know where I could find answers to these questions. It's been a big question of mine since i was 21 and started CC.

Glockster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Do you have any more information on this law? My employer has always been "no firearms on property" even when they were paying for on-site security 6 days a week. IF I were to keep it in my vehicle and somehow they suspected it, even though I practice the don't tell policy, and I got fired for it. Would I have a case in sueing them? I thought indiana was an employment at will state? Indiana Employers can terminate without stating reason? I only ask because sh!t happens no matter where you are or what time of day. I've even witnessed a highspeed police chase go right thru the parking lot of this employer! yet they don't want their employees to protect themselves before or after work. The other funny thing. Same employer has said they are not responsible for employees before they are on the clock(non-exempt) but are responsible for after clocking out, until employee has left property.

Does anyone know where I could find answers to these questions. It's been a big question of mine since i was 21 and started CC.

Here you go bro this should clear every thing up. Just click this link NRA-ILA :: Parking Lot Gun Laws and the Right to Transport Firearms
    GOD BLESS THE NRA

Top Bottom