• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm planning a camping trip this summer and am wanting to continue carrying my Glock while I'm there. I'm aware of the restrictions of carrying on DNR property vs Army Corps of Engineers. Can anyone point me to a list of the parks that are owned by ACoE?

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I'm not sure what type of camping you are doing, but i enjoy Turkey Run state park. I OCed last 2 years with no problems from other campers.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    I know that the ACoE maintains ownership of only limited parts of the reservoirs after they are built. Usually, the Corps owns the land around the dam, spillway and any raceways and other land required for operation of the dam. I thought on most of the lakes though, that the DNR owned/maintained the recreational facilities around the lake. I could be wrong, but all of the areas I've been to (campgrounds, docks, STATE recreation areas, etc) around the reservoirs are maintained by the state, so I assumed state ownership. I've never seen a federal officer patrolling the water or lands...it's always an IN state CO.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Check the website in ElsiePeaRN's post. It has maps that show the ACoE project boundary for each lake/park. Outside of that boundary is DNR/State. Inside of that boundary is ACoE. Notice, that most project boundaries include ALL of the water, spillway, dam, and shoreline. The DNR may patrol it, but the property is ACoE.

I've written to our District Commander (Colonel Kieth A. Landry) asking that the ACoE adopt the same recreational property rules as the National Parks and National Forests (carry as per state/local laws). Have you? ;)

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Need to call for sure, but if that's your real badge in your avaitar, I bet it's a trump card!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Thank you, kind sir. Rep inbound.

I'm not sure what type of camping you are doing, but i enjoy Turkey Run state park. I OCed last 2 years with no problems from other campers.

We're planning on either Raccoon Lake or off of Lake Monroe, although Turkey Run is a blast.

Check the website in ElsiePeaRN's post. It has maps that show the ACoE project boundary for each lake/park. Outside of that boundary is DNR/State. Inside of that boundary is ACoE. Notice, that most project boundaries include ALL of the water, spillway, dam, and shoreline. The DNR may patrol it, but the property is ACoE.

I've written to our District Commander (Colonel Kieth A. Landry) asking that the ACoE adopt the same recreational property rules as the National Parks and National Forests (carry as per state/local laws). Have you? ;)

Not yet, but you can bet I will be.

Need to call for sure, but if that's your real badge in your avaitar, I bet it's a trump card!

No, sir. It is in memory of Officer David Moore.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I was hastled on a canoe trip by dnr but when i was camped on a river island they coundn't prove it was on dnr covered land he only asked that i have no round in chamber and I had pistol on two zip lock bags. We had no beer on us and I had kids with me. Any more its who gets you then anything . Goodluck

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I was under the impression that only in federal parks concealed carry was illegal. Untel that is a resent bill was passed that made it legal to carry in federal parks. I think that as long as you have legal right anywhere else (in indiana) you can carry in indiana owned parks. But me being a civilain I don't know for sure....

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I stick to state and national parks, I'll be hitting up Clifty Falls in Madison, Indiana and one or two of the wineries that are around the area, but i won't be carrying while i am hitting up the wineries.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Your answer is here in the indiana code http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00080.PDF
    Go to code 312 IAC 8-2-3 it states, "
    Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following
    conditions apply: ...
    with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3;"

:D

A for effort, unfortunately the full quote is
    "
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or​
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2"

Top Bottom