• ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Greetings,
    I have just started to CCing. I use the Alien Gear IWB for my FNX9 at the 4:30 position. However there seems like there will be an issue of quickly drawing the gun while seated in the car with a coat on and seat belt on.
    So how do you deal with this?
    I really did not want to change my carry position or holster if possible.
    Thanks,
    MrBlue

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I deal with it by not drawing it out when driving.

In that .0000000000001% chance that I may need to draw my pistol while driving I'll either pull it out and put it in the console or I'll just sit on it under my thigh. Both actions are something I have to think about doing BEFORE I get into the "oh no, I need my gun."

When you're operating your motor vehicle you have a HUGE weapon all around you. Use that one first! In your vehicle, your gun is your backup.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Buy a bigger vehicle to suit your drawing needs.

I'm a big guy and there is not much room to work with. When I get in, I move my coat or shirt so my pistol is open. I can lean up towards the left and get a good grip to draw. I drive a full size pickup and a Ford Flex. Room is in excess for me in both.

A lot of practice helps. (Unloaded gun)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I don't use one, but I've seen holsters mounted under the steering wheel/ bottom of the dash.
    If I'm on a long trip I'll put my handgun in between the seats so the grip is up, or in the pocket on the door, or under the armrest/consoul.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    quickly drawing the gun while seated in the car with a coat on and seat belt on..

I carry in the same position. Have your coat unzipped and open when you get in the car. Seat belt goes over your left shoulder on top of the left half/flap of the coat and then inside the right half/flap of your coat. You can lay the right half of your coat over the top of the seatbelt to stay warm but easily flip it out of the way to access your weapon. Same access as in the summer when just wearing a T-shirt.

Kurile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Spdwy
    Sometimea I'll put my holster in the 9 o'clock position, mostly for visibility reduction for anyone at the window of the vehicle. It's not a quicker draw, but harder for anyone to see. If you're wearing your holster, it's always going to take an extra moment. Someone mentioned a holster under the steering wheel, probably best bet for a quicker vehicle draw. Downside is constant holster drawing to transfer guns

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have a 60/40 front seat in my truck, the gun (holstered), gets shoved between the two seats next to my right thigh. I like to think that I'd use my accelerator and steering wheel to get myself out of a close encounter as my first option. I suspect firing a gun from inside a vehicle isn't a good idea if it can be avoided.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Had a drunk jump in my car last week while at a stoplight. I thought all my doors were locked. While driving I keep my piston inside my drivers door. Had no trouble drawing and turning to assess the threat. Luckily there wasn't one and the problem was solved.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Use your current gear, transfer to a cheapie Mike's or Blackhawk while driving. Slide the cheapie between the console/seat and good to go. keep spare mag/s at easy reach like the door panel shelf. Keep your jacket unzipped, and feed the excess past the seatbelt.
    Optional: keep a spare or a Backup piece in a reachable spot.(If you aren't big on the transfer above, or think you may blast your leg)
    I keep a G19/21 as a main CCW, then have a 5 shot J Frame S&W 442 as a console/door panel carry. Works well.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Drivers drive, shooters shoot was training I got a long time ago.

Served me well so far.

For those of you that prefer heavier bullets, my Ford is like a 400 billion grain load.

Top Bottom