• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I've been thinking about this lately. Since maternity pants are stretchy, much like sweatpants, in the waist or belt holsters really won't work too well. Does that pretty much just leave me with shoulder holsters to work with? Are there others that would work well with the pregnant body & clothing? Besides the fact that not all holsters will work while pregnant, is there anything else I should think about when carrying while pregnant?

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't know anything about being pregnant, as I'm a guy, but I use a belly band holster as my EDC holster and it is great. No outer belt required (unless you have a gun that is very top heavy)

I'm sure that would work for awhile, but it might be hard finding a comfy spot after 7 months or so...

Hopefully some of the ladies on here can give you some "personal experience" points of view...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Been down that road twice. Is this your first? I think you'll find that it's nearly impossible to keep the pants up by themselves beyond a certain point, let alone with a holster clipped to them.

I've never used a shoulder rig, but keep in mind, that your boobs will expand nearly as much as your belly and you may find that the reach across your body isn't worth the effort. I've also never used a belly band, but depending on how high you carry (your child, not the firearm), particularly as the months progress, you may find there's no room on your torso. I carried relatively low for both my boys and still would have had trouble. As I understand it, belly bands are worn roughly such that the lower end of the band corresponds loosely with the terminus of the rib cage. If that's the case, you will very likely not be able to wear the band at all. And I doubt you'd find it very comfortable to hike it any higher than where it's supposed to be worn.

There's always the ankle holster option. But I have serious doubts about a pregnant woman with any significant growth being speedy about accessing anything below the bellybutton.

I know you've sworn off purse carry, but to be honest, I think most of the arguments against it are based off of nothing more than anecdotal evidence. There are two real issues: potentially longer time to access firearm and the potential to become separated from your firearm. There are ways to minimize the former, and frankly, if someone is that worried about the latter, she might not want to go out in public. Her chance of being in a vehicle collision is probably 2 or 3 times as great as having it snatched.

Anyway, that's my :twocents: from a BTDT persepctive.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I just wouldn't shoot too much while pregnant or breast feeding - the lead can and will get to the baby. My wife stopped shooting until she was done with breastfeeding.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The pregnant female Officers on our local PD swich to shoulder holster or probably better, purse or bag as they become, well, bigger.

Hip, ankle, thigh just are not viable because they cannot reach to put the holster on, much less access the handgun.

At some point. they are not allowed on the range because of the noise and the effect this has on the baby and its development and comfort. The baby hears everything at full volume through all that liquid.

Mom will shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you for all the info! I am trying to get through all of limalife's videos -there are a lot of them. She has great information!

This is will be our 3rd baby, but first time carrying. You know, I never had any desire to have guns in our home until I got pregnant with our first. There is just something about being pregnant that makes you feel extremely vulnerable. I would lay in bed at night and think "what if someone breaks in? How on earth could I protect myself?"

I can still wear a belt at this point (with pants unbuttoned), so I may opt for an in the pants holster for a while. Then I will probably switch to a shoulder holster for a while, until that becomes difficult. If I have to purse carry, then so be it. I suppose that is still better than not carrying at all.

As for shooting while pregnant, we (my husband and I) feel that it is very important for me to be comfortable with and learn how to use my carry gun, whenever we end up getting it -soon I hope! I do have masks to wear to the range, wash my hands several times afterwards, and shower when I get home. I guess the only thing is the noise. I don't really think that short periods of loud noise are that bad. I went to concerts all the time while pregnant with #1. So I'll be going, maybe even weekly, until I get about 7 months or so. Then, I'll probably just go once a month.
    And you know, I didn't even think about the breastfeeding part. I was out shooting, not taking all the extra precautions, when I was still nursing my son. And that was just a few months ago, before I knew I was pregnant again.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I do have masks to wear to the range

Make sure you get the right filter, otherwise you're just cutting pollen/fumes/etc. It needs to specifically be designed to filter lead particles, or you aren't doing yourself any favors.
    Look on the label for filtering of "Lead, lead metal, Plumbum, Pb, Plumbum Metallicum".

As far as the noise, I don't remember what week the inner ear starts developing.
    Just to be on the safe side, I'd ask the OB/GYN. If they say "good to go", then there you are.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Make sure you get the right filter, otherwise you're just cutting pollen/fumes/etc. It needs to specifically be designed to filter lead particles, or you aren't doing yourself any favors.
    Look on the label for filtering of "Lead, lead metal, Plumbum, Pb, Plumbum Metallicum".

As far as the noise, I don't remember what week the inner ear starts developing.
    Just to be on the safe side, I'd ask the OB/GYN. If they say "good to go", then there you are.

I agree, what I did with my wife when she was pregnant - I just showed her all of the proper point of shooting, stance hand placement etc. I bought some snap caps for her pistol so she could practice .

When she was breastfeeding and I'd come back from the range, I'd throw my clothes in the laundry and take a shower - I wasn't going to risk that lead getting to the baby; as it's nasty stuff.

Best of luck during your pregnancy, it's an exciting time.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My wife switched to a pocket gun and her fullsize handgun in her purse. For our second, the full size went in the diaper bag and the purse was left at home. Pocketgun remained in the pocket.

Stop shooting indoors at once, the minute you find out you are pregnant. It is advisable to stop shooting completely due to the harmonics and distruptions on your unborn child. FWIW a .22lr rifle, outdoors would be acceptable for the first few months. From my medical experience, the harmonic and acoustic concerns cannot be overstated.

While breastfeeding don't shoot indoors or handle ammo or any cleaning items with out gloves on, preferably the latex/nitrile disposable kind. Be careful of inhalation issues and if you have to clean or use solvents, make sure it is outside or extremely well ventilated.

Obviously, for self defense, the immediate threat to life trumps any other concerns so don't hesitate to light up a bad guy.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    you could get one of those maternity shirts with the breastfeeding flaps and put a small-frame handgun or a snubnose revolver in there...

ps sorry if thats an awkward suggestion...

Top Bottom