• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So folks who have had a drink or 2 give up their 2nd amendment rights at BACs of .08...? Or should your right terminate at .01? Hell, even swishing mouthwash registers on a breathalyzer.

I dont advocate getting bombed while carrying. God forbid any of us are ever in a situation where we do have to defend ourselves inside a tavern. In the court of public opinion I tend to believe it would go hard for the man who decides to defend himself with his weapon if hes had even one beer.

Most people believe (incorrectly) that carrying inside a public house is illegal thinking logically that weapons and booze are a bad combination. Shame on them for their assumptions. But where is the line to be drawn? Do you still retain the right to defend yourself if youve imbibed? And to the INGOer who thinks that theres a clear cut case of self defense involving alcohol... wake up. Any lawyer would jump on that case and scream "negligence" in a heartbeat... and thats even if he shot the right guy.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    So folks who have had a drink or 2 give up their 2nd amendment rights at BACs of .08...? Or should your right terminate at .01? Hell, even swishing mouthwash registers on a breathalyzer.

I dont advocate getting bombed while carrying. God forbid any of us are ever in a situation where we do have to defend ourselves inside a tavern. In the court of public opinion I tend to believe it would go hard for the man who decides to defend himself with his weapon if hes had even one beer.

Most people believe (incorrectly) that carrying inside a public house is illegal thinking logically that weapons and booze are a bad combination. Shame on them for their assumptions. But where is the line to be drawn? Do you still retain the right to defend yourself if youve imbibed? And to the INGOer who thinks that theres a clear cut case of self defense involving alcohol... wake up. Any lawyer would jump on that case and scream "negligence" in a heartbeat... and thats even if he shot the right guy.

Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes.

I have been in a room FULL of people carrying sidearms and drinking a few beers and no one was shot, got into a fight or broke any of the 4 Rules.

I have been to the gun range and in competitions with NO alcohol and have had loaded guns pointed at me and the four rules went out the window.

Which was the safer place at those particular moments?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    if you are not a tough heart guy then you will surely need to have a alcohol when on for a self defence......

:dunno:

I would say it boils down to the individual. I rarely drink outside of the house or a friend's house, and its rarer still for me to drink in any excess. However, when I was younger and stupider I drank to great excess. I've done some dumb things, but never unholstered a firearm while drinking.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    FWIW, in the case of a sober person shooting a drunk, it could be solved/decided on the scene. Odds are, the shooter will sleep in his own bed that night.
    If a person that's had anything to drink has shot anybody, drunk or not, odds are he'll spend the night 'downtown' and maybe longer, and may find himself posting bail before going home to bed.
    Just saying. Based on local episodes, of course.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    It feels like a lot of you guys are implying that a man gives up his right to self defense as soon as he takes a sip of beer. I'm not advocating getting hammered because I know that judgement gets impaired with too much alcohol, but a guy should be permitted to have a drink with dinner, or to hang out with his buddies and have a drink after work, yet still be able to defend himself. You guys all complain about having to give up the right to carry in certain locations, but then slam people for drinking responsibly.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Or one could restrain and not incur dulled senses nor additional and unneeded legal variables manifested or otherwise. If one carries to defend their life that course might result in the best outcome. No amount of drink will improve aim or awareness.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It feels like a lot of you guys are implying that a man gives up his right to self defense as soon as he takes a sip of beer. I'm not advocating getting hammered because I know that judgement gets impaired with too much alcohol, but a guy should be permitted to have a drink with dinner, or to hang out with his buddies and have a drink after work, yet still be able to defend himself. You guys all complain about having to give up the right to carry in certain locations, but then slam people for drinking responsibly.

I don't think you give up anything, it is more like choosing one over the other.

Most of this is basic common sense. Social stigma aside, does it really make that much sense to indulge in a chemical that is scientifically proven to slow down your reaction time and impair you decision making skills?

I'm not even talking only when you have a gun or only when you need to use it. I'm the last person to tell someone else what to do but at least ponder the consequences of you not being 100% if you ever had to protect yourself or your family.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Regardless of your views on drinking alcohol (and I've shared mine), I think we can all agree that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    If I am legal I will carry. In my home, in my work, in my car or a bar. If I choose to drink and carry I will. We each make decisions and we have to live with each decision. Obviously there is not a big problem with LTCH holders getting drunk and shooting people or the anti's would be all over it with as many LTCH holders as there are I would say a lot of people are drinking and carrying and probably several who are above .08. If you are a hot head then you may not want to carry and drink if you are a laid back individual probably not going to be a problem. Just my two cents and I hope no one tries to change that law as I don't need or want my rights limited any more.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    If you must get slobbering drunk then do it in the comfort and safety of your own home. Carrying in public comes with responsibility. You are responsible not only for your safety, but for the safety of any and all bystanders. I don't see any problem with having a beer or two while carrying, as long as you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will not impair your ability to shoot accurately. You absolutely must find your limit, and never cross it while carrying.

Just as we must remove ourselves from arguments and high stress situations while carrying, we must also exercise self control with substances that could impair our judgement. You wield a deadly weapon, it is your responsibility to do so in a manner that is safe for all of those around you. That limit is for you and you alone to decide.

growler46901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    In your best Doc Holiday voice say: "Nonsense, Ive not yet begun to defile myself" followed by "I've got two guns, one for each of ya".

Seriously, I thought it was a great question. I think criminals do target people coming out of bars. You should know your limit beforehand and stick to it when carrying. Just as you would being a designated driver.For some that limit may be none. Alchohol has a funny way of lying to you and making you think you're not as impaired as you are. Just my 2 cents.

Growler

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    It's not illegal, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Impaired judgment won't bode well for you in court if something were to happen.
    This says it right here. If you did get stopped or an issue came up you would not be a picture of a responsible person being intoxicated and carrying, just isn't safe practice. If you have to go through those bad areas to get to a bar, take a cab or be the designated walker/protector and not drink.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What kind of crap is this post? Mods help! :noway:
    Help? It was dead until you necroposted.

Oh, wait...
    I bet some newb necroposted, then you responded, newb post removed, now you're the one with egg on your face. Right?

Since it's open again....

My question is what if YOU miss, and KILL or injure an INNOCENT ????? WHAT THEN ?????
    You join the NYPD at the Marksmen level.

Top Bottom