• ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Sorry for another question

Ive seen a few threads on here about carrying with an upgraded gun. Ive had my Glock 19 for almost a year now and i plan on carrying it soon. Heres the issue: Right when i bought it I put in a 3.5lb trigger connector and a lighter firing pin spring to get the pull lighter. It worked great! But now that im going to carry it im not sure if i should swap those parts out back to stock.

Im asking this because last night i switched the parts out and put the stock back in. I went to the range today and the gun feels completly differant. The trigger is horrible. I was having a hard time keeping good groups at 10yds. I had no problem with the upgraded parts.

Should i keep the upgraded parts in it because i shoot more accuratly with it? Then deal with the lawyers if i ever have to use it. Or put the stock parts back in and play it safe?

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    My two cents as one of the "lawyers" you may have to deal with is -- it doesn't matter. The focus will be on the quality of the shoot not on the instrument with which it was carried out. It appears from your post you are worried that you may be painted as a "gun nut" that was looking to use it. Don't forget that when the quality of the shoot gets analyzed it will be done so by a prosecuting attorney and law enforcement. If the shoot is good - so is the shooter.

If you feel more safe and the gun appears to operate in a more reliable fashion for you with the trigger job then I would suggest that is what you carry.

I would go stamping "criminals die" or some other crazy stuff on your sling or holster but so long as you are within the law on your modifications I wouldn't worry about it.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    there was guy on here that went by GunLawyer. dont know if he is still on here or not. if he is, ask him but. i took one of his classes and asked him something similar.

the answer i got was, "if the shoot was justified, it was justified" in Indiana anyways. other states laws DO vary. but in short, doesnt matter if you use hydra-shocks or a desert eagle or semi auto shotty with slugs. in Indiana there is no such thing as "extra lethal"

so if you shoot tighter groups with newer trigger and feel better shooting it. then that is what i would carry.

just as an example though. im going to florida here in the near future and the way i understand it, they dont want you to carry anything but ball ammo. so if you have to defend yourself in florida, they want the assailent only dead, not extra dead. so different states, it would worry me, but not here in free country.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    yeah, carry hollow points and make sure the brand, grain and load you carry cycles reliably above all before you start carrying them.

but being a glock, as ugly as i think they are, they usually cycle anything you put through them. that doesnt mean, dont try it first.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    My two cents as one of the "lawyers" you may have to deal with is -- it doesn't matter. The focus will be on the quality of the shoot not on the instrument with which it was carried out. It appears from your post you are worried that you may be painted as a "gun nut" that was looking to use it. Don't forget that when the quality of the shoot gets analyzed it will be done so by a prosecuting attorney and law enforcement. If the shoot is good - so is the shooter.

If you feel more safe and the gun appears to operate in a more reliable fashion for you with the trigger job then I would suggest that is what you carry.

I would go stamping "criminals die" or some other crazy stuff on your sling or holster but so long as you are within the law on your modifications I wouldn't worry about it.

I think this answer is outstanding!
    I have had the same question with my glocks before. I have a 3.5lb trigger connector in mine and was thinking about getting the spring kit to lighten it up a little more but didn't want to look "more dangerous" if i ever had to use it.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Now THAT could be used against you in a court case. :):

No "reasonable person" and all that... ;)

never though of that :lmfao:

You said that you hit better with them in. I would make that my argument.
    Your not trying to be a cowboy because it's still 3.5 lbs.

yes im more accurate with them in. my arguement would be that id rather have a lighter trigger and hit the target then i heavier trigger and pull the shot and miss, possibly hitting somebody else

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    just as an example though. im going to florida here in the near future and the way i understand it, they dont want you to carry anything but ball ammo. so if you have to defend yourself in florida, they want the assailent only dead, not extra dead. so different states, it would worry me, but not here in free country.

Woe, seriously? What about over penetration?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    id put the stock parts in and practice, but thats just me. I think lighter than stock triggers are a very bad idea on carry guns. all my match guns have slick, lightwieght triggers, but my carry guns are all stock, its a personal choice, but thats how i choose.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've always got to chuckle at how serious some people take some of this stuff.

Honestly folks, don't you have other things to worry about?

First, the chances of ever having to fire your weapon in self defense are slim to none. Next the need to put rounds on target as quickly and accurately as possible is going to be the most important thing you'll ever have to do. Finally we live in a State where not only do laws NOT favor the criminal, but the good guy has decent protections against both forms of liability, i.e. criminal and civil.

Given all that, some people still want to hamper themselves with inferior firearms, tactics, training or ammunition based upon odds that are probably akin to getting struck by lighting that you'll ever have to face a prosecutor who is out to get YOU after that once in a lifetime possible shooting and have that idiot try and convince a grand jury to indite you and THEN have yet another jury find you guilty....

It's really a quite silly thing to worry about.

It reminds me of a dealer, chuck from CNI, at a gun show here in NW Indiana who told me "I carry that high point (might have been jimenez) in my truck so that if I ever have to shoot somebody the cops don't take my more expensive gun". Yeah... ok. :nuts:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Whoever told you that was an idiot. I have no idea where anyone could come up with that. You are fine thru KY, TN and GA as well.

One thing you DO have to worry about in FLA is keeping your firearms covered. 100% including the holster.

Florida is a truly CONCEALED carry state and they issue a "Concealed Weapons License".

As provided in state statute in order for it to be concealed it must be covered by something or encased in something. If that something is a holster, they holster must be completely covered. Under those same statutes, printing is NOT a crime.

There are only two states firearms laws I know inside and out and as a Floridian, Florida is one of them.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Whoever told you that was an idiot. I have no idea where anyone could come up with that. You are fine thru KY, TN and GA as well.

One thing you DO have to worry about in FLA is keeping your firearms covered. 100% including the holster.

Florida is a truly CONCEALED carry state and they issue a "Concealed Weapons License".

As provided in state statute in order for it to be concealed it must be covered by something or encased in something. If that something is a holster, they holster must be completely covered. Under those same statutes, printing is NOT a crime.

There are only two states firearms laws I know inside and out and as a Floridian, Florida is one of them.
    well, as far as i can remember, no one told me that. i could have sworn i read that on either the websites i use to crossreferance which states accept the Indiana LTCH and their laws.

handgunlaw.us
    opencarry.org

seems a quick "google" shows the only state that has restriction is NJ
    so i when i get back home imma gonna check both of those sites to see if i got bad info from them or just a bad memory :)

i did know that florida is picky about their concealed carry.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    well, as far as i can remember, no one told me that. i could have sworn i read that on either the websites i use to crossreferance which states accept the Indiana LTCH and their laws.

handgunlaw.us
    opencarry.org

seems a quick "google" shows the only state that has restriction is NJ
    so i when i get back home imma gonna check both of those sites to see if i got bad info from them or just a bad memory :)

i did know that florida is picky about their concealed carry.
    "on closer inspection, these appear to be loafers"

i did not even remotely find where i would have gotten that, not even through a misunderstanding unless i just mixed up states.

i had even found a florida carry forum, something like "florgo" :): that was talking about what kinda of HP to carry. so im not going to even pretend to defend myself.

however, back on subject, if the op is more comfortable with the way the gun is modded. then carry it modded. chances are, you'll never use it that way, and on top of that. a justified shoot is a justified shoot. period.

I have a different trigger, grips and grip spacers on my carry pistol.

Top Bottom