• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I have applied for but have not recieved my handgun permit.

I plan to go to a range this weekend and shoot my revolver.

If an LEO stops by while I'm using the range, how much confidence is there that he or she will be familiar enough with the new law, which allows me to transport my handgun to and at the range, not to write a ticket and confiscate my pistol when all I have to show him is my driver's license?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    You may want to take a print out of the new law with you, and also triple check the wording of the law. might not be a bad idea to call ISP and find out how they are interpreting the new law.

:twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is it a DNR opperated range? I think all DNR ranges have a rule that you have to have a permit to use a handgun.
    Actually, I think some were just interpreting the OLD law that way. The current law is pretty clear.

I'd just print a copy of the relevant IC to toss in your range bag, on the off chance someone asks.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Or just do it the old way, put the ammo in the glove box and the pistol in case in the trunk, in the old days anyone who did'nt have a permit, carry or target (no longer offered) use to take their gun to the range:rockwoot:

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Is it a DNR opperated range? I think all DNR ranges have a rule that you have to have a permit to use a handgun.
    Crossley.

I called the office because I had seen the sign posted requiring shooters to be in possession of a permit, or words to that effect. The lady told me that refers to the card that is available to fill out at the range.

I guess my concern would be either DNR or an LEO that happens to be at the range to shoot.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35; P.L.164-2011, SEC.1.

35-47-2

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

As of July 1, the DNR can no longer require a license. It's not up to their discretion or personal opinion.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Or just do it the old way, put the ammo in the glove box and the pistol in case in the trunk, in the old days anyone who did'nt have a permit, carry or target (no longer offered) use to take their gun to the range:rockwoot:

Not that it matters now, but this was illegal then and it is not illegal as of July 1st. I know because when I first started shooting and I bought a pistol I did this and got busted for it. Luckily I only got a warning and I am super glad they changed the law.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    For what it's worth, I've never been asked to show a permit at Wilbur Wright which is DNR. The only thing I was ever asked about was whether or not I had filled out the little range card.

If you go there and if they ask, you might try telling them that Wilbur is a personal friend of yours and he said it was all right for you to shoot.--just kidding. :laugh:

Top Bottom