Carrying without permit, or driver's license.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Tonight I was getting ready to settle in for the night. My dad ask if I wanted to go have supper in town with them. I agreed :)

I had put my wallet in my tray, but still hand everything else on. I forgot I put my wallet in the tray and walked out and went to town with my handgun and no ID or carry permit. Honest mistake I made.

Now say for some reason a LEO decides to check me for whatever reason this is hypothetical so give me some slack here. I'm sure 99% of LEO wouldn't mess with me especially in my county. Just in case I'd like to know if I was checked out can they look me up by name and birth date to see who I am and would it show I had a valid carry permit? Or would I be in deep pooo?

If our LEO's or lawyer's could give me some information on this I'd appreciate it.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    So I got pulled over one time around 2015 or so. Though I had my wallet, ID, and LTCH, I wasn't armed at the time. After running my ID the cop was ticked asking where my gun was. I learned right then they can look us up no problem.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So I got pulled over one time around 2015 or so. Though I had my wallet, ID, and LTCH, I wasn't armed at the time. After running my ID the cop was ticked asking where my gun was. I learned right then they can look us up no problem.
    Not sure why the cop would be ticked, IN does not require you to inform.
    Also, carry license info is attached to your license plate, they could know before they approach.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not sure why the cop would be ticked, IN does not require you to inform.
    Also, carry license info is attached to your license plate, they could know before they approach.
    Close, LTCH is not linked to the license plate. It's linked to the drivers license of the owner(s). So they would have to run the plate, then run the registered owners DL.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    I’ve stopped people carrying with neither license in possession. They left without any paper as well. If you find yourself without (on accident, don’t make it a habit) explain and don’t be an jackwagon about whatever the reason for the stop was. Courtesy usually gets reciprocated.
    I can’t speak for the peoples republic of Marion county however. :stickpoke:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    got stopped with out my id. this was before i was a gun owner. i told them my dob dl number. exp date. next think i know there was fire and hazmat behind my, was in a new shop truck and was putting gas in it for the first time in both tanks, one had a leak at the bottom at the strap, ended up the other had a home in the middle of the tank, as soon as i heard the gas coming out i stopped putting it in less than 2 gal. went in and payed and went to the bathroom and came out and there was a leo outside waiting on me to leave.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Most aren't going to hassle you.

As said above when your id gets ran it will usually say if you have a carry permit or not, and the dmv picture that is on your id is attached to the return if the officer runs it in their car.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Close, LTCH is not linked to the license plate. It's linked to the drivers license of the owner(s). So they would have to run the plate, then run the registered owners DL.
    Just making sure I understand... If I'm pulled over, my plate on the back does not inform the officer that I have a LTCH? But if/when he runs my drivers license it will specifically inform the officer that I have a LTCH? Just looking for clarity for occasions where I might loan my vehicle to someone else. Or borrow one from someone else.
    Mandatory curb stomp!
    I noticed you didn't use purple.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just making sure I understand... If I'm pulled over, my plate on the back does not inform the officer that I have a LTCH? But if/when he runs my drivers license it will specifically inform the officer that I have a LTCH? Just looking for clarity for occasions where I might loan my vehicle to someone else. Or borrow one from someone else.

I noticed you didn't use purple.
    Pretty much. The license plate tells them who the registered owner(s) are, they can then run the registered owner(s) and find out if they have a LTCH and anything else related like traffic tickets, arrests, etc. Same as if/when they run your DL.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    The only time I’ve chewed someone out was when I knew they had a LTCH and they weren’t carrying. Or when they fail to tell me they have a gat in their glovebox and then start digging around for papers in said glove box.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Pretty much. The license plate tells them who the registered owner(s) are, they can then run the registered owner(s) and find out if they have a LTCH and anything else related like traffic tickets, arrests, etc. Same as if/when they run your DL.
    So they CAN get the info from just what comes from the plate. As I said earlier.

Remember people, how can you believe a guy named Timjoebillybob who doesn’t know the difference between hay and straw!?! Anyone with that name has to know the difference.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Tonight I was getting ready to settle in for the night. My dad ask if I wanted to go have supper in town with them. I agreed :)

I had put my wallet in my tray, but still hand everything else on. I forgot I put my wallet in the tray and walked out and went to town with my handgun and no ID or carry permit. Honest mistake I made.

Now say for some reason a LEO decides to check me for whatever reason this is hypothetical so give me some slack here. I'm sure 99% of LEO wouldn't mess with me especially in my county. Just in case I'd like to know if I was checked out can they look me up by name and birth date to see who I am and would it show I had a valid carry permit? Or would I be in deep pooo?

If our LEO's or lawyer's could give me some information on this I'd appreciate it.

I need to go back and read the natural right documented in the second amendment to the constitution of the united States.

Top Bottom