• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Sorry, but what works for precision handloading and what is needed for max production are two different things.
    All my rifle cases are fed into the press by hand and the case pad takes no extra time and has worked 100% for over 45 years.
    If I had a need for thousands of rifle rounds per month, I would look to something else also.
    We do what we have to do, but operations that fail need to be improved or replaced.
    Any solvent must be given time to evaporate for the lanolin/oil to work.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I rolled my own Lanolin based lube.

Of course, I had to learn the hard way that 91% alcohol just doesn't cut it. You need 100% or 99%. It separates otherwise. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    100% IPA/Lanolin works for me, 600 to 3,000 an hour depending on machine.
    The process dictates lanolin concentration, long/heavy cases need more lanolin.
    The thinner lube let's me do more cases before I have to clean dies/vent holes.

When I'm reforming cases (to different caliber) I still use the goop, RCBS or Imperial.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I picked this set up at a gun show. Appears to have little use, if any. I will double check it and the brass. In the process of getting a case unstuck, I damaged the neck expander on the third try, so it won't screw back onto the decapper.

EDIT: I checked the die and the brass, both are 7mm Rem Mag, one is a Winchester and the other is Remington. The one that went through is marked FC, Federal?

Your problem is most likely the lack of enough lube on the cases. I would recommend that you again take the dies apart, and give them a good cleaning using Hoppes #9, bore/gun cleaner. Make sure you clean out the vent hole as previously
    mentioned.
    Since they were "used" dies, there is a remote possibility that the decapping stem was not the correct one for 7mm, and you might have gotten a larger one than the 7mm(.284") one needed for the 7mm. I'm not exactly sure how you damaged
    the neck expander to the point where it won't screw back onto the decapper stem. But, I would recommend you contact RCBS, and tell them how you damaged the neck expander/decapper stem. They'll figure out which part you need, and most likely send you a replacement part.
    A previous poster also mentioned using the "correct" shell holder. Usually this isn't a problem, but their are minor differences in the size (height) of the shell holder.
    I stuck a case in a die only once, and that was when I used RCBS case lube & pad (Probably wasn't enough lube on pad). I would also recommend using Imperial case sizing wax, use your fingers, and not a Q tip. Don't worry, it wipes off easily
    with a towel. If your going to be reloading a lot of .223/5.56 then use Hornady One shot case lube, read the directions and follow them.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    GLOCKMAN23C - BTW I recommend that you spend the bucks, and buy a stuck case kit, or make one yourself, by purchasing equivalent parts from the local Home Depot. That will save you a lot of grief, and money from replacing damaged dies. I've been
    reloading since 1974, and had to use mine once, but I was happy to have the kit when I needed it. Sort of like owning gun, better to have one when you need it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    No stuck cases... gallon bucket of lanolin picked up from a chemical supply warehouse long long ago.
    Use it for lots of muzzleloader and centerfire lube recipes too.

About the dies, as was said above, inspect, clean, reinspect...

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The ONLY case I stick (almost every single one) is Lehigh defense 300 BO, it was to the point that I’d be resizing with tons of lube, stick a case and know exactly what brand it was, tossed the lot, smashed with a hammer first, just in case it wandered back into the mix.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I just happen to know a guy who is going to be an INGO advertiser and selling some case lube here in a few days... just saying. ;)

Top Bottom