• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    i made this for under 40 bucks and it works great (&has more uses than the prep centers sold by lyman, hrndy, ect bc can run high or low rpm ) ! get some drills on sale and chuck em in some wood ! photo 2.JPG if you would like anymore details id be happy to help!!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My sweet wife bought me a Hornady Case Prep Center for Christmas last year. It made case trimming bearable but still a pain. I use a progressive press so almost have 200-1000 cases to trim at a time and there are at least 4 steps in the process so it takes a while. Still if I wasn't doing that I would probably be wasting my time in the net or watching tv.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Look, you just gotta go with me here for a sec. Forget the drills, little motor'd deals, trimming lathes, brushes, drill presses or anything else. If you are a serious reloader and do any quantity, there is only one option that makes any sense to me: Giraud. I know it's expensive, I know it's a four month backorder (wonder why?).

It's so much faster, I can trim to length a thousand .223 cases in an hour. The consistency is outstanding. You get trim, inside chamfer and outside chamfer in one operation. Above all else, my hands don't hurt anymore either. You have to buy a new one at full price as they never come up for sale used.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    Look, you just gotta go with me here for a sec. Forget the drills, little motor'd deals, trimming lathes, brushes, drill presses or anything else. If you are a serious reloader and do any quantity, there is only one option that makes any sense to me: Giraud. I know it's expensive, I know it's a four month backorder (wonder why?).

It's so much faster, I can trim to length a thousand .223 cases in an hour. The consistency is outstanding. You get trim, inside chamfer and outside chamfer in one operation. Above all else, my hands don't hurt anymore either. You have to buy a new one at full price as they never come up for sale used.

If you're giving it up, what's the price on the Giraud? I have carpal tunnel in my right hand, but still load at 64. Suck it up! Just got done with 1000 45acp's and starting on 1000 40's. Next is 2000 223's. World's Finest Trimmer, next best thing to a Giraud http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Then I use the Lyman case center for chamfer and deburr.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Little Crow Gunworks trimmer to trim and a RCBS Trim mate for chamfer. Although I did upgrade both chamfer tools with carbide. Chamfers much faster and they will last longer than the original set which was only 2,000 pcs.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Well, after doing the final trim on about 100 pieces of converted 300aac brass last night with the Lee trimmer and holder chucked in the drill, my fingers are raw and I am over it. Lol.

World's finest trimmer looks like it now has an interchangeable trimmer. Anybody used it? I only plan on doing 223 and 300aac.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Thanks for all the input. I dont mind trimming cases with my rcbs trimpro as i dont do alot of quantity. my problem is deburring and cleaning primer pockets as i have arthritis pretty bad in my hands and the gripping/twisting action becomes absolutely unbearable after a few pieces. Sounds like im probably still going to have issues even with a motorized unit.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Little Crow Gunworks trimmer to trim and a RCBS Trim mate for chamfer. Although I did upgrade both chamfer tools with carbide. Chamfers much faster and they will last longer than the original set which was only 2,000 pcs.

Now that's a good idea. Going carbide shopping in 3,2,1.........

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a Giraud, RCBS trim mate and manual trimmer, and some Lee trimmers. I emailed Giraud years ago wanting to know if he could make cutter heads for removing primer crimps but never heard back.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Now that's a good idea. Going carbide shopping in 3,2,1.........

The carbide inside chamfer tool item number is 90385 and the carbide outside chamfer tool is 90384

They are a bit on the salty side price wise but well worth it. I found mine in stock at Wideners as I found they hard to find in stock at a lot of places.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I know I should be too young to have hand issues, but they still hurt. I understand about issues with the repetitive twisting tasks. I've done three things which eliminate all of them. 1) Giraud case trimmer 2) Dillon Super Swagger 3) tumble in stainless media. Beautiful, clean inside, outside and pockets pockets with perfect and repeatable pockets. I know, it all takes money. However, these are one time expenses which last lifetimes at which point it becomes palatable to me.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I own Giraud's trimmer and annealer and the money was well spent both time.
    Everyone that sees them in my loading room wants to come over and use them.

Top Bottom