• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

It's time to trim some cases. I don't have a case trimmer... so I'll need one. Nothing expensive. What do you recommend?

The 7.62x54R has a max length of 2.115" and should therefore be trimmed to 2.105"... right"

Now, what's the point in trimming a case that headspaces on the rim? I'm not getting this, and would actually like the case neck to be a bit longer. The rifle has a long lead.

Thanks,

Josh

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Trim them all to the length of your shortest case, or cull the shortest few to get the rest to the length you want. Consistency is more important than hitting a spec.

As for the trimmer itself, you can't beat a GTC for high volume pursuits. For fewer, I have use Wilson and RCBS with good results.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Trim Die??

Josh, if you are only going to trim this one caliber, I would opt for a file type case trimmer. Just size the brass, and then run into the file type trim die, file off until level with the top of the hardened surface, de-bur inside+out+you're good to go.
    I have a RCBS rotary trimmer+several file type trim dies+I use them both. All of my file type trim dies are RCBS, but I know there are others made.:popcorn: Bill.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Trimming cases is rarely needed for a bolt gun. I wouldn't worry about it.

Load em and shoot em.

I would not follow this advise. A case that is too long can cause a pressure spike in any firearm. Google it.

In some of my first reloads back in the day, I let some cases get out of spec. While I didn't have a failure, I can tell you that my groups went totally haywire. I trimmed up the cases and everything went back to normal.

I'm gathering your pretty new to reloading, and I suspect your not doing a huge volume of cases, shooting 1000 yard competitions, or trying to do 15 different calibers.

You can buy these Lee parts and be set up for like $30 and your good to go providing you've got a drill to use with them. They do a really nice job and they are super easy to use.

Lee Precision: Cutter with Ball Grip
    Lee Precision: 3 Jaw Chuck
    Lee Precision: Case Spinner Stud
    Lee Precision: Case Length Gauge

If you don't already have one, you'll need a chamfer tool too.

Lee Precision: Chamfer Tool

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would not follow this advise. A case that is too long can cause a pressure spike in any firearm. Google it.

In some of my first reloads back in the day, I let some cases get out of spec. While I didn't have a failure, I can tell you that my groups went totally haywire. I trimmed up the cases and everything went back to normal.

I'm gathering your pretty new to reloading, and I suspect your not doing a huge volume of cases, shooting 1000 yard competitions, or trying to do 15 different calibers.

You can buy these Lee parts and be set up for like $30 and your good to go providing you've got a drill to use with them. They do a really nice job and they are super easy to use.

Lee Precision: Cutter with Ball Grip
    Lee Precision: 3 Jaw Chuck
    Lee Precision: Case Spinner Stud
    Lee Precision: Case Length Gauge

If you don't already have one, you'll need a chamfer tool too.

Lee Precision: Chamfer Tool

The OP is talking about a 7.62X54R in a Mosin for pete's sake. The neck would have to be .250 too long before it gets pinched by the leade. It just is not possible for it to get that long in a bolt gun.

Trimming to a certain length has no effect on accuracy.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Maybe 7.62x54R is an albino, but for the dozens of cartridges I've loaded for trimming to a certain length doesn't matter accuracy wise. Trimming to a consistent length does. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Maybe 7.62x54R is an albino, but for the dozens of cartridges I've loaded for trimming to a certain length doesn't matter accuracy wise. Trimming to a consistent length does. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

+1, consistency is the key to accuracy.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Incorrect, consistency is key to precision for grouping.

You should have checked a thesaurus before posting. From Roget's

Main Entry:
    accuracy Part of Speech: noun Definition: precision or correctness Synonyms: accurateness, carefulness, certainty, closeness, definiteness, definitiveness, definitude, efficiency, exactitude, exactness, faultlessness, incisiveness, mastery, meticulousness, preciseness, sharpness, skill, skillfulness, strictness, sureness, truthfulness, veracity, verity
    :D

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    The OP is talking about a 7.62X54R in a Mosin for pete's sake. The neck would have to be .250 too long before it gets pinched by the leade. It just is not possible for it to get that long in a bolt gun.

Trimming to a certain length has no effect on accuracy.

I believe that a lot of the pressure spike is related to the neck tension. More neck = more neck tension, and depending on how how your loading your might push yourself into the danger zone with a charge that was previously OK. Published recommended loads are for cases within spec, anything outside of that is uncharted waters. I just wouldn't through a blanket statement out there that because your using a bolt action rifle you rarely need to trim your brass. I agree, you'd never run into the leade. I also agree that there's not a certain magical length, but you want them all the same.

I assume since your reloading for a Mosin that has the option of shooting cheap surplus rounds, that your going for the best possible accuracy. So your going to want to make everything as consistent as possible, if your not doing that then I don't see why you'd want to reload for that caliber.

I've yet to see a lot of cases that all stretch the same amount so I trim every time. Now-a-days I rarely even measure before I start since the Lee set up is a case length gauge / trimmer in one. Doesn't really take me that long since I'm not doing large volume.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Trimming cases is rarely needed for a bolt gun. I wouldn't worry about it.

Load em and shoot em.

This statement is COMPLETELY FALSE. All of my center-fire rifles are bolt guns+the brass does need trimmed every 3-4 times fired.
    And-NO-my Remington 700's do NOT have excessive headspace.
    ALL center-fire rifle cal. brass should be trimmed as needed.:draw:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    ALL center-fire rifle cal. brass should be trimmed as needed.

I've got a factory Remington 308 barrel here where the chamber neck length is .045" longer than the maximum "allowable" case length for a 308 Winchester.

I've got a factory Remington 30-06 barrel here where the chamber neck length is .036" longer than the maximum "allowable" case length for a 30-06 Springfield.

I've got a factory Remington 223 barrel here where the chamber neck length is .040" longer than the maximum "allowable" case length for a 223 Remington.

Needless to say, "trimmed as needed" doesn't occur very often (actually, never) on these barrels.

If you want to determine how long your chamber neck is, and what your maximum allowable case length is:

SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Sinclair Chamber Length Gage -

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It looks like I need to explain myself better.

I rarely full length resize for a bolt gun and if I do, I make sure to only bump the shoulder .002. I lube the inside of the neck thoroughly so that the expander does not draw the neck as it is removed.

Otherwise, I just neck size with Lee collet dies.

I never have to trim because OAL doesn't change more than a couple of thousands. I think some of you are severely overworking your brass if OAL length is changing drastically.

I am realizing why I seem to be out of step with reloaders that rely on annealing and constant neck trimming for consistant brass. I learned early that all rifle resizing dies will overwork and over size your brass unless they are set up by measuring shoulder "bump".

I apologise for my assumptions.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thank you fireball168+sloughfoot

Thanks for the info both of you! Learn something new everyday..:) I think I will order a few of those Sinclair gages to check my chambers.:dunno:
    Thanks again..Bill.:ingo:

Top Bottom