• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I've been reloading for two years now. Bought brass the first time around and worked up a good load for my 243 win. I have been collecting rifle and pistol brass in preparation for reloading other calibers. I made my own vibratory cleaner and bought some corn cob media. It works great!
    Now my issue is that all my rifle cases that are necked down get packed full of media. This was a big deal the first time because I didn't resize the brass before cleaning. It took me a long time to clean out all the media with a small piece of stainless wire. The next time the primers where not in and it was easier to clean out the media.
    my question is, is this common? Is my media too course? Do I need to use another media?
    Thanks!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Pretty common on necked down cases. Do you have a media separator? Mine is bowl shaped that fits onto the top of a 5 gal bucket, dump the tumbler into it and shake, most the media will come out.
    Another trick, hold all the cases against your tumbler with it running the media will come out. Hold them so the media goes back into the tumbler

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Are you using animal bedding corn cob for media or corn cob sold as tumbling media?

Reason I ask is the animal bedding I have seen & used to use is much larger than that which is processed for tumbling media.

The large media got stuck in my cases, the small not so much.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    It's animal bedding. I didn't want to buy the good stuff before I knew the vibrator worked right. I sifted it to get the size down, but that didn't help.
    Guess I need new media. Suggestions?

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I was reloading / tumbling for a year or two before I figured out I had medium course corn cob media. I consistently had flash holes plugged but did not have anything staying in the case really. I bought some fine media from Profire and I've never looked back.

duckhunter847

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I use a mix of corn cob and nut media 50/50 mix and useing a seperator over a bucket and turn it 1 way several times then change directions get most of it out. Some times in my .223 cases will get some still stuck in it , but I just turn on the tumbler and hold shell caseing neck down inside it against the side and media comes out.

Top Bottom