• ...and so much more!
  • Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Friends,

I have never loaded cast bullets, but a friend recently gave me a few hundred .356x124gr to try. I checked them out on the scale and found that the bullets are weighing in at between 124gr and 128gr. Is this typical? Is it OK to load with this kind of inconsistencies? I've never really scrutinized the popular retail bullets I typically load (primarily Hornady) so I don't know if this is typical or not.

Thanks in advance for your kind, helpful responses.

Michael

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    They'll be fine. If you are super concerned about tight groups, separate them into weight categories.

Thanks for the kind reply!
    I'm not concerned about tight groups. Ill mainly use these for defense training so 5 yards or so and just want to try cast loading.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Been loading home cast bullets for probably 20 yrs and have never weighed them.

Thanks for the kind reply!
    I've been wanting to try cast bullets for some time just never made the effort. After being gifted these I thought it was time. Who knows, I may like it and stay for awhile!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's pretty typical, there's always small variations. Lead is heavy for it's volume and you will see small differences just from things like how hard the mold is clamped. A common trick when you have a gun with an oversize bore is to place some foil on the mold block so it doesn't quite close all the way, this can bring up the diameter .001 or so and that can make all the difference in the world.

Top Bottom