• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    I could use some advice &/or wisdom. Bought my 1st AR-15 in 5.56/.223 from Vision Armory over in Middlebury. Shoots factory and fmj handloads like a dream. Does anyone have any experience casting and shooting lead bullets out of a gas operated AR-15 platform? It has a 16" barrel with a 1/9 spin. 55 gr shoot fine and I believe heavier bullets should be OK as well. I'm just wondering about lead.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I shoot a lot of lead but my AR is not a rifle I've considered for shooting lead. I'm not saying it can't be done but you would more than likely have to slow the velocity to a point it wouldn't be worth it versus just buying Hornady 55gr fmj bullets to reload. Powder coating the bullets would give you a better chance at increased velocity but again, not something I've tried with the AR yet.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I cast for everything I shoot. But I do not shoot a 223. That said for the price of bulk bullets I could not justifi casting for such a small caliber. I do cast for 300 blk as the cost savings are huge.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I recently purchased a NOE mold for that purpose, 70gr. I haven't tried it out yet & probably won't for a while, I wanted to have it & pick up some gas checks so [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] when projectiles at a reasonable price dry up I have an alternative. There is quite a bit of info for everything cast at the cast boolits forum.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    Thanks dieselrealtor. Those are my thoughts exactly and why I started casting and loading for my handguns. If you get a chance to try them out, keep us posted. I'll head over to Cast Boolits and check it out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom