• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I did some trading and ended up with an xd-45. I haven't shot it yet but I do like the feel and features of it. I didn't get the owners manual , so I'm left wondering if cast bullets are safe in this pistol...........or since it is very "glockish" does it share that "feature" of not being able to use the more economical reloads? flame suit on. UPDATE.
    well , I took her out with some factory fmj and a "coupla hunnert" reloads (cast lead swc's).I gotta admit that after a couple mags of factory ammo, I was pretty impresssed with the accuracy and ease of handling. It definately goes were you point it!
    Then I moved on to the reloads. had a couple ftf's but I'm pretty sure a dillon case gauge will cure that. I also Had a "pop, No kick" the brass didn't eject and after looking I also Had a bullet stuck in the barrel! this was quickly rectified with a brass rod , and a hammer(thanks to the atterberry staff), NOTE; this is a reloading problem and I don't intend to imply that the gun had any issue here. after removal it was back to shooting, accuracy was really good and other than the afore mentioned ftf's function was spot on. I can't get over how comfortable the grip is for a 14 shot .45! because of this,I usually hate high capaccity guns, but this is the exception to the rule.
    Although I'm still a 1911 guy,I Gotta say that I'm pretty impressed.The xd is now my house gun (gotta get my wife out to shoot it) and I'll probably carry it some in colder weather. I wouldn't have a problem trusting my life to this gun.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I have looked for, but not found, manufacturer recommendations not to. I have run hundreds of rounds of cast lead through both my XD40s without a hitch. Only problem is it is very dirty.

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I've got a full size XD in 45ACP, I fed her a bunch of cast bullets and had no problems. I never thought to ask if they were OK or not!!!!
    I hear that the Glocks are not able to function with lead, I'll be watching to see what OK for the XD.........................
    BTW - I like the XD plenty!!!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The XD has a short chamber, so any out of spec (or lead) has some issues. Any OAL or diameter oversizing equals no chamber! The one I had hated RNL and my lead loads, they either would not go fully into battery or were horribly tight in handcycling. You may have to make em a smidge shorter to compensate. The biggest thing is that the .45 ones dont like SWC, especially lead.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    The biggest thing is that the .45 ones dont like SWC, especially lead.

I have some personal experience with this. We tried(keywork tried) to run some SWC lead reloads thru my Dads XD45 and it didnt not like them. It would fire about every other one. The rest were FTF, the would get hung up on the feed ramp I think. But it did fire some of them very accurately and they were very dirty. Just my experience.:D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Your right on the Glock barrel. I had a model 36, 45acp that I was shooting 230gr lead round nose in. This was back before the 'lead issue' had become public knowledge.
    Long story short, about the 6th magazine as I pulled the trigger I suddenly felt a tremendous amount of pain in both of my hands. The gun was laying on the ground, so was the magazine, which was blown apart (never did find the magazine spring). The trigger assembly was gone as was the mag release assembly. The feed ramp was cracked (found out after sent back to Glock. They rebuilt it on my tab) and I couldn't rack the slide back. Have since traded off---didn't feel comfortable every time I pulled the trigger. all in the head I guess. I know this doesn't directly have anything to do with your XD, but if it has a polygonal barrel, be careful with lead. All I received was a bit of powder burn on my trigger finger where the mag release blew out. God was definitely watching over me on that one.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If the XD has conventional rifling, aside from chamber tolerances, the lead composition of the projectile itself would be OK.

If the XD has polygonal rifling, like Glock & HK, then shooting non-jacketed projectiles is a No-no as it can cause lead depositing in the barrel that could cause an overpressure issue like user 1946 has said.

But, of course, there are plenty of reports out there of folks that use non-jacketed projectiles in their Glocks with no problems.

As for me... polygonal rifling = no lead. Period.

-J-

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The XD has traditional rifling - lead cast bullets are fine. In fact this is the main reason I chose one for this style of gun. I shoot almost exclusively reloads so I don't even look at Glocks.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I have had no issues with my loads in my XD45c. Disposable Heart has a good point on rounds being tight to chamber. To solve this I started using a Lee Carbide Factory crimp die and a Dillion Cartridge gage, Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders and have not had a "Tight" or long round since.

Polygonal rifling was originally thought to reduce fouling, both copper and lead, but lead has definately caused a lot of problems with Glocks rifling. IMHO I beleive that it is more of the lead accumulation at the case mouth area where the cartridge head spaces than in the rifling itself that causes all the problems.:twocents:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Polygonal rifling was originally thought to reduce fouling, both copper and lead, but lead has definitely caused a lot of problems with Glocks rifling. IMHO I believe that it is more of the lead accumulation at the case mouth area where the cartridge head spaces than in the rifling itself that causes all the problems.:twocents:

:yesway:

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I have a xd40 sub carry gun and an XD45 house gun that I fired everything I had through a couple days ago.

This ammo included some ultra-max lead bullets and some Wolf ammo. Both were dirty but fed and fired well. Upon cleaning and inspection It appeared that everything was fine.

Yes, I still own a glock 23 and have had zero problems when firing. I do not fire lead or remans in the glock.

I like all guns and will not participate is any which is better games.

Respect your weapons, all manufactures.

Top Bottom