• ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Skeptical chez is skeptical.

I saw this happen on a ceramic top stove that was probably 12-15 years old...I thought it was induction, might not have been...they left it on the burner on high...and the cast iron skillet was stuck to the top.

Well this is what Lodge says about their current product:

We get asked a lot about using cast-iron cooking vessels on the ceramic-glass surface that all induction-cooking units use: does it scratch? Can one cook using "pan-slide" techniques without scratching the surface? Lodge cautions that their non-enamel cast-iron cookware (and this would likely apply to all cast-iron cookware except, of course, enamelled cast iron) might cause scratching, as the bottom of a cast-iron piece is naturally rougher or grittier than, say, stainless steel, and anecdotal evidence strongly supports the realistic possibility of such scratching. But . . . this is induction--no flames! We thus need to think outside the box. If you have a cast-iron skillet and want to cook something using the pan-slide method, just put a sheet of some heat-resistant (and non-metallic) substance under it. The obvious choice is parchment paper; though one maker (Reynolds) says it can be used "at temperatures up to 420°F", Cook's Illustrated refers to its being "enormously resistant to high temperatures"; many widely published recipes using parchment paper call for baking at 450°F and we've even seen pizza recipes calling for parchment paper in an over at 500°F to 550°F. All in all, it seems unlikely that the temperature of a skillet bottom would be a problem for parchment paper (and its silicon coating makes it slick and so, presumably, easy to slide a pan on). While we haven't yet had opportunity to test it ourselves, we feel confident it would work fine in this use. Parchment paper is relatively inexpensive--only a tad more than ordinary waxed paper--and universally available (and is a handy thing to have in a kitchen anyway); Cook's likes the Reynolds brand.
    (The "autoignition temperature" of a substance is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously combust in a normal atmosphere without an external source of ignition, such as a flame. The autoignition temperature of even ordinary paper is 451°F (233°C)--as is well known from the title of the famous Ray Bradbury novel Fahrenheit 451--so parchment paper ought to fill the bill here just fine.)​
    There is also an almost comically simple alternative for a more permanent fix. It's one of those ideas like the safety pin or the paper clip: blindingly obvious in hindsight, but not apparent at once. Just sandpaper the pan or pot bottom smooth! Readers have reported to us that they have done just that, with excellent results. We don't have details, but we'd guess that two grades of sandpaper, a coarse then a fine for polishing off, would do the job. (If you've done this, please email us with exactly how you did it.)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Well the trial run was a great success! Its simply amazing what can be accomplished with a fist full or charcoal!

I'm going to do some research and see what folks say about cooking lean meats like venison in cast iron.

I am also looking into a dutch oven table. It would appear as simple as setting a sheet of steel on the grates of my propane cook top. Its already elevated and has wind shields. I will work on some pictures! Thanks!

We cook venison roasts, steaks and stews in our dutch oven with no problems. I have not tried to fry one in it though. Roast has a bottle of wine on it, so plenty of liquid.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    I thought about something similar but hated to create one more thing to now around in my yard! I'll test out the table conversion this week. I like the ergonomics of getting it up to working height. We'll see.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I saw this happen on a ceramic top stove that was probably 12-15 years old...I thought it was induction, might not have been...they left it on the burner on high...and the cast iron skillet was stuck to the top.

Well this is what Lodge says about their current product:

We get asked a lot about using cast-iron cooking vessels on the ceramic-glass surface that all induction-cooking units use: does it scratch? Can one cook using "pan-slide" techniques without scratching the surface? Lodge cautions that their non-enamel cast-iron cookware (and this would likely apply to all cast-iron cookware except, of course, enamelled cast iron) might cause scratching, as the bottom of a cast-iron piece is naturally rougher or grittier than, say, stainless steel, and anecdotal evidence strongly supports the realistic possibility of such scratching. But . . . this is induction--no flames! We thus need to think outside the box. If you have a cast-iron skillet and want to cook something using the pan-slide method, just put a sheet of some heat-resistant (and non-metallic) substance under it. The obvious choice is parchment paper; though one maker (Reynolds) says it can be used "at temperatures up to 420°F", Cook's Illustrated refers to its being "enormously resistant to high temperatures"; many widely published recipes using parchment paper call for baking at 450°F and we've even seen pizza recipes calling for parchment paper in an over at 500°F to 550°F. All in all, it seems unlikely that the temperature of a skillet bottom would be a problem for parchment paper (and its silicon coating makes it slick and so, presumably, easy to slide a pan on). While we haven't yet had opportunity to test it ourselves, we feel confident it would work fine in this use. Parchment paper is relatively inexpensive--only a tad more than ordinary waxed paper--and universally available (and is a handy thing to have in a kitchen anyway); Cook's likes the Reynolds brand.
    (The "autoignition temperature" of a substance is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously combust in a normal atmosphere without an external source of ignition, such as a flame. The autoignition temperature of even ordinary paper is 451°F (233°C)--as is well known from the title of the famous Ray Bradbury novel Fahrenheit 451--so parchment paper ought to fill the bill here just fine.)​
    There is also an almost comically simple alternative for a more permanent fix. It's one of those ideas like the safety pin or the paper clip: blindingly obvious in hindsight, but not apparent at once. Just sandpaper the pan or pot bottom smooth! Readers have reported to us that they have done just that, with excellent results. We don't have details, but we'd guess that two grades of sandpaper, a coarse then a fine for polishing off, would do the job. (If you've done this, please email us with exactly how you did it.)

Parchment may work on a true induction cook-top. VERY VERY few people have induction tops. Do NOT try that on a ceramic radiant cook-top, I have a feel that it will take the paper WAY above it's ignition temp or smoke point. EM waves (induction) readilly pass through paper, but radiation won't pass through paper.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Parchment may work on a true induction cook-top. VERY VERY few people have induction tops. Do NOT try that on a ceramic radiant cook-top, I have a feel that it will take the paper WAY above it's ignition temp or smoke point. EM waves (induction) readilly pass through paper, but radiation won't pass through paper.

I have a Thermador induction top and I use CI on it from time to time. I preheat my CI in my oven to 500*, then put it on the top (on 10) to sear steaks. I do not "pan-slide" it, but I will try the parchment paper trick if the need arises. Good info. Thanks.

EDIT: I meant to quote PistolBob.

Last edited:

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    I have a set of NUWAVE induction cook tops. Been using a cast iron pan just as mentioned above, to seer steaks and roasts (before baking. Works very well!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I have a set of NUWAVE induction cook tops. Been using a cast iron pan just as mentioned above, to seer steaks and roasts (before baking. Works very well!

I used to do it that way but on the advice of a pro, Ihave switched to baking first and using a final sear to finish coming up to temp. Don't know why, but it does seem to work better. If you try it, let us know your thoughts.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We bought a brand new electric stove with the ceramic top about 5 years ago from Sears...it's a Kenmore... the sales guy told us to never put cast iron on the ceramic top....I read the book about 4 times and it didn't say anything about it. We have used it from time to time to sear a roast before putting it in the oven, always careful to not drop the pot on the top of the stove....and honestly, SHE had to have the stove and now we both can't wait for it to die so we can get a good old gas range in here again.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    I used to do it that way but on the advice of a pro, Ihave switched to baking first and using a final sear to finish coming up to temp. Don't know why, but it does seem to work better. If you try it, let us know your thoughts.

Never heard of that, seems contradictory to what I expected a sear to accomplish. I assume you still let me at rest and reach room temp before baking? Then sear immediately out of the oven? Interesting.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Never heard of that, seems contradictory to what I expected a sear to accomplish. I assume you still let me at rest and reach room temp before baking? Then sear immediately out of the oven? Interesting.

Assuming you like your steak a nice rare, medium-rare, or medium it's proven that a reverse sear will get you MORE of the ideally cooked meat in the middle of a steak vs the overcooked area 1/4-1/2" thick all around the outside edges. Of course, this only works with a thick steak, if you want a thin steak then a quick sear on both sides is all it takes to get the perfectly cooked middle.

Despite what "common wisdom" says on cooking a steak, searing it doesn't lock any juices in, the only benefit is browning/crisping the outside so you get those yummy caramelized proteins. What sense does it make to sear the steak to get the browned/caramelized outside then bake/grill at a lower temperature making those browned bits soggy as the juices seep out of the steak? Reverse sear is cooking low and slow until the meat is almost up to temperature then a hot, fast sear to brown the outside.

Also, letting a steak come up to room temp is another one of those "cooking steak" myths and it wholely unnecessary. It does nothing except to permit the growth of bacteria on the meat.

If you want to learn more about cooking steaks (and other meats) from a scientific perspective I highly suggest you check out this website: How To Grill Better-Than-Steakhouse Steaks

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    Let's see if this works! My trial run at dutch oven cooking with charcoal. Seasoned this chicken with butter, rosemary, dill weed and black pepper. A few cups of chicken broth and two hours later I had this!

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    I was so distracted with my photo efforts I missed country boys response. That's interesting, I'll try that one some ribeyes this weekend! Thanks

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have good luck with my Griswolds on our induction cook top. I do not slide them around on it though. I scratched one of the burners a little a few days after we first got it, by sliding one of our cast irons on it. I researched putting parchment paper under them, but Bosch advises against it.... I guess that is the safe stance as a manufacturer. Also, your griswolds need to be the smooth bottomed ones, without the smoke ring, otherwise they won't contact the surface. I guess it's nice that the ones with the smoke ring tend to be more collectible and used to sell for more money when I bought mine.

I don't bring a steak up to room temp prior to cooking it. In fact, I think the colder center aids in cooking to desired doneness. I don't cook steaks less than an inch thick, unless they are skirt or flank. I pat steaks dry and rub mixed kosher salt and pepper into them a few minutes before they hit the skillet. Into the skillet, which is very hot and sear about 2-3 minutes a side is usually right for us Take them off and let them rest. If they are thicker yet, I will finish under the broiler, very briefly.

Moisture is the enemy of the Maillard reaction, that is erroneously called "caramelizing" when referring to protein. I still like the term though, because it describes what you are trying to accomplish with the sear. It does develop flavors and characteristics not possible without it. What makes meat juicy and flavorful is fat not water, hence my careful drying of the meat prior to searing.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Be careful if it is galvanized. If you get it hot enough it will offgas zinc which will make you ill.

I forgot, not EVERYONE works with metal like I do (steelworker) and doesn't know this. Yes if can give off zinc gas which is toxic. I would take the lid and 'burn' the coating off by heating it up to the point where you burn off the coating. Of course making sure not to breath the fumes while doing this...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have good luck with my Griswolds on our induction cook top. I do not slide them around on it though. I scratched one of the burners a little a few days after we first got it, by sliding one of our cast irons on it. I researched putting parchment paper under them, but Bosch advises against it.... I guess that is the safe stance as a manufacturer. Also, your griswolds need to be the smooth bottomed ones, without the smoke ring, otherwise they won't contact the surface. I guess it's nice that the ones with the smoke ring tend to be more collectible and used to sell for more money when I bought mine.
    You may not be able to use the smoke-ring cast iron on an induction top but I've been using smoke-ring type cast iron on my radiant flat-top for several years now. I too, was mistakenly under the impression that I couldn't use it on my cook-top until I tried it, and it works just as well as any other cast iron...

Moisture is the enemy of the Maillard reaction, that is erroneously called "caramelizing" when referring to protein.
    Lol, I figured if I brought in the Maillard term people would give me the "that guy is wacked out" emoticon and nobody would know what I was talking about...

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    You may not be able to use the smoke-ring cast iron on an induction top but I've been using smoke-ring type cast iron on my radiant flat-top for several years now. I too, was mistakenly under the impression that I couldn't use it on my cook-top until I tried it, and it works just as well as any other cast iron...

Lol, I figured if I brought in the Maillard term people would give me the "that guy is wacked out" emoticon and nobody would know what I was talking about...

You and me both! I usually dry brine by, patting dry, sprinkling with kosher salt and leaving my steak uncovered on a cooling rack in the fridg for 30-60 minutes. I pat dry before putting on as well.

I've tried the par-freezing techniques as well and I know of techniques using powdered milk etc, but the above gets me the crust I want.

I abhor grey-steamed steak as an affront to nature.

I have also done poor man's sous vide in a cooler followed by a cast iron sear and it works pretty well too if you are into that sort of Frenchie thing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You and me both! I usually dry brine by, patting dry, sprinkling with kosher salt and leaving my steak uncovered on a cooling rack in the fridg for 30-60 minutes. I pat dry before putting on as well.
    Exactly what I do except I shoot for 2-3 hours in the fridge if i can muster that long. I've gone as long as a day in the fridge (something came up and I couldn't cook the steaks that day after I had already salted them) and they were still good ok (not really any better than the 2-3 hr rest though).

I have also done poor man's sous vide in a cooler followed by a cast iron sear and it works pretty well too if you are into that sort of Frenchie thing.
    That sounds like a lot of work but I bet it yields a great finished product...

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I didn't read all the posts but I believe Rural King sell cast Iron cooking stuff ? I know they have it, but not sure where.. A lot of yard sales have cast Iron stuff too, have seen a lot.. There is a guy always down in little Nashville In. that always has tons of that kind of stuff, there is a tent area on your way into Nashville where they sell stuff, that's where I've seen it but not sure if just called a flea market or not ????

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    That sounds like a lot of work but I bet it yields a great finished product...

It really isn't that much work if you have a tested accurate thermometer. Just bring a pot of water to a boil or near boil and fill a cooler most of the with hot tap water. The tap water is around 120 so you just add/stir the boiling to bring it up to 130 or wherever you want it. Put the steak in a ziplock with the air almost all out and dunk it in. Close the lid and the water will only lose about 1 degree over the 60 or so minutes I usually leave it in. Pull it out and it looks disgusting, but pat dry and sear it on a truly hot cast iron griddle and it comes out really nice; basically crust to rare or medium rare with no gray ring.

I usually do in the winter if I don't feel like shoveling out the grill!

Top Bottom