• ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    It's time for bacon... :)

Doesn't look too bad. Here's a tip for you. Don't fry bacon for the first uses. I know it's a little late for ya, but your best bet to help it along on its way to nonstick is to cook some cornbread in it. The salts and sugars used to cure the bacon usually carmelizes and or burns onto the bottom. Then you have to scrub or boil it off, therefore being detrimental to the seasoning process. This is just my experience in the short time I have been researching and restoring cast iron.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I didn't see this posted. At the end of June I came across a NYT article about cast iron. They listed three US based manufacture of cast iron other than Lodge. Here is the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/dining/cast-iron-skillet-finex-field-company.html?_r=0

Here are the companies they mentioned:

FINEX | Premium Cast Iron Skillets, Made in USA

Borough Furnace

http://fieldcompany.com/

I basically gave up on cast iron. The lodge pieces are just not smooth enough and I don't deep fry anything, so everything would usually stick. I've purchased some older pieces with more of the mirror smooth finish, but just never got around to cleaning them up.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Doesn't look too bad. Here's a tip for you. Don't fry bacon for the first uses. I know it's a little late for ya, but your best bet to help it along on its way to nonstick is to cook some cornbread in it. The salts and sugars used to cure the bacon usually carmelizes and or burns onto the bottom. Then you have to scrub or boil it off, therefore being detrimental to the seasoning process. This is just my experience in the short time I have been researching and restoring cast iron.

I've had great luck using the recommendation from my carbon steel skillet's manufacturer: fry a bunch of potato peels in a LOT of oil and salt until the peels are basically so dark and brown that the crumble into dust. Wipe out with paper towel. Done.

Used my 12" Lodge for fajitas last night. I think the lime juice marinade is pretty hard on the seasoning, the pan always looks worse for wear after making fajitas.

I will probably be adding another carbon steel pan to the fray soon. They are just too good to have only two.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I basically gave up on cast iron. The lodge pieces are just not smooth enough and I don't deep fry anything, so everything would usually stick. I've purchased some older pieces with more of the mirror smooth finish, but just never got around to cleaning them up.

Give Carbon Steel a look. Brand new, they are cheaper than vintage cast iron, mirror smooth, less brittle, better conducting (yet still hold heat). Matfer Bourgeat or De Buyer are both available on Amazon and several other places. Matfer has slightly better handle geometry IMO, but the De Buyer are a little better quality, imo. Riveting vs spot welding handles is not really a big deal, imo.

Using my 12" Lodge last night convinced me that the carbon steel really is a "better mousetrap"-- for all things I would do with a cast iron skillet, the carbon steel does it better.

JMO

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I didn't see this posted. At the end of June I came across a NYT article about cast iron. They listed three US based manufacture of cast iron other than Lodge. Here is the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/dining/cast-iron-skillet-finex-field-company.html?_r=0

Borough Furnace

The Field Company

Great information! While they are apparently not up and running yet, Field appears to be launching a product similar in the important ways with my dearly beloved Griswold in that it is smooth, traditional-styled, and lighter than the current unmachined offerings from Lodge.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage

Borough Furnace

The Field Company

If you decide to get rid of those older smooth pieces, shoot me a pm. I may be able to give them a good home. :)

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Does anybody have the cast iron red book? I am trying to find info on the Lodge Outpost Grill I am restoring. It cleaned up really nice. I am in the process of seasoning now. I'd like to find a value on it but can't even find any for sale. Are they that rare?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The wife p/u a Lodge new at garage sale.I took air die grinder with 60 grit,than 100 than 150 grit than 2 1/2 hours later,it was baby but smooth.I will never do it again.If you can find any old pieces marked "made in USA" for $20 or less, or Griswold or Wagner under $40,buy them.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    Anybody got any tips for slow cooking venison in the cast iron? My wife has gotten pretty good all the other standards, but she's afraid venison is too tough/dry to come out right. I know people are doing it with success, but admittedly I'm not much on her "trying new things" with my one home cooked meal of the day! Any tips/tricks appreciated.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    As others said the new stuff sucks, you can buy the old cast iron for the same price as the new junk, I enjoy the hunt of finding it.

We took a trip to Holmes Co. Ohio (Amish country) and it was like a gold mine in the antique shops, more pans and better price then I have ever seen.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Wow! Nicely done! You must have some serious kitchen storage space! I was just happy to come up with a Wagner Ware corn bread pan recently...

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I wish I had the storage space to keep them all. I am slowly trying to piece together a couple sets. All the extras get cleaned up and sold. A couple will probably be given away. My 13 year old son got a pan for his birthday that he loves. And now my 10 year old niece wants the same thing. LOL. Who would have thought that these kids really enjoy these pans.

Top Bottom