• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    As soon as I read the word soap I stopped. I’m only 38 but have been cooking with cast iron since I was a Cub Scout. Hot water with a little elbow grease has always worked for me with a light coat of crisco at the end.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have this one, I recently decided to try to learn to cook better with cast iron. It's a good all-around skillet, I cook bacon and eggs in it just about every weekend.
    Nice! :yesway: They also work great on the grill. Made breakfast for the wife while we drank coffee on the deck.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My wife made bacon this morning in a Teflon skillet, and had me make the eggs. I always use the leavin's in the pan for eggs and my eggs stuck to a Teflon skillet, made eggs last weekend in a vintage iron piece, without sticking. Damn Teflon junk.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife made bacon this morning in a Teflon skillet, and had me make the eggs. I always use the leavin's in the pan for eggs and my eggs stuck to a Teflon skillet, made eggs last weekend in a vintage iron piece, without sticking. Damn Teflon junk.

Teflon pans have a short lifespan and need to be thrown out for safety reason.

I always cringe when I see a nasty teflon pan at Goodwill.

Cbrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    brownsburg
    Lodge Lodge Lodge all the way. We used Lodge everything to cook with when I was in Boy Scouts, and I'm almost positive they were the same pans and dutch ovens my dad used when he was a Boy Scout. To my knowledge they are still used today.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lodge Lodge Lodge all the way. We used Lodge everything to cook with when I was in Boy Scouts, and I'm almost positive they were the same pans and dutch ovens my dad used when he was a Boy Scout. To my knowledge they are still used today.

Really? Those things have a surface like a gravel driveway. Not even in the same plane of existence with vintage Griswold or Wagner.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Really? Those things have a surface like a gravel driveway. Not even in the same plane of existence with vintage Griswold or Wagner.

:( I guess someone should tell my eggs that, it seems they don’t care. To each their own I guess.

Well, Lodge isn't that bad, but still, they're a lot rougher than vintage. My Griswold is smoooooooooth as Barry White.

robgoblin32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Well, Lodge isn't that bad, but still, they're a lot rougher than vintage. My Griswold is smoooooooooth as Barry White.

So happy to find this thread. Think about the tools used with vintage pans; you're not going to have light use and wear and tear from silicone cooking accessories lol. These are seasoned, and worn and the best imho.

Lodge makes a great product, but don't count on their "pre seasoned" cast iron. If you're looking for best bang for your buck, find a rusted POS from pre 1980 and clean it up, then season it yourself. I have several 1920-1930 dutch ovens my grandpa left me that beat the pants off anything new.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I would agree the surfaces are vastly different, BUT I use the heck out of mine for everything. I can make eggs just as easily in my lodge. I am no picker but I have a hard time finding the older stuff that some jackweed doesn't want a ridiculous amount for.

Left is a Griswold, right is a modern Lodge. Just cook with them and they will serve you well. Way better than a set of t-fal. Not sure if t-fal is still popular. It was when I got married.

Last edited:

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Any vintage no name U.S.A. marked cookware is of the highest quality,and smooth as Barry white.Don,'t get scared away from no name cookware.Pick it up,examine it.Most was made by General Housewares,which bought Wagner in 1969,and they were made in the same Sidney Ohio plant.For your Lodge,get a steel spatula,and it will polish the surface in 10 to 20 years.:rockwoot:Hit antique,Thursday and Friday garage sales,and don't be scared to ask if they have any in side the house for sale. I have got lucky . p.s.,if the surface is not so smooth,cook with more ​bacon grease so things don't stick. JMO

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My wife used to have an enameled dutch oven, but the coating started to come off the inside and we threw it away. Recently she got out an old regular cast iron dutch oven that she'd gotten from her great-grandma, and she scrubbed and seasoned it and she made a stew on the wood stove.

Problem was, while the stew simmered, the condensation caused the lid to rust on the inside. So, later, she scoured the lid really good again and seasoned it several times in the oven. She used it again and darned if that lid didn't rust again, and there were no tomatoes or tomato sauce in either stew. Is there anything special that you need to do with dutch oven lids to prevent them from rusting?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My wife used to have an enameled dutch oven, but the coating started to come off the inside and we threw it away. Recently she got out an old regular cast iron dutch oven that she'd gotten from her great-grandma, and she scrubbed and seasoned it and she made a stew on the wood stove.

Problem was, while the stew simmered, the condensation caused the lid to rust on the inside. So, later, she scoured the lid really good again and seasoned it several times in the oven. She used it again and darned if that lid didn't rust again, and there were no tomatoes or tomato sauce in either stew. Is there anything special that you need to do with dutch oven lids to prevent them from rusting?

I have never had one rust if I made a point of wiping it dry immediately after use, but have had issues if I got lazy and didn't get it taken care of at least by the time I finished eating.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have never had one rust if I made a point of wiping it dry immediately after use, but have had issues if I got lazy and didn't get it taken care of at least by the time I finished eating.

I know, we haven't either. She has three iron skillets that she's used for years and years and they're great. The only part that's rusting is the under-side of the lid. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there was some rust under the seasoning coating and I need to clean it with some oven cleaner, then wire brush it and then re-season it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When I use the Dutch Oven or Chicken Pot after cooking I just let what I can drain off and then put the lid on a burner on the stove top next to what I'm cooking, turn it on and let it heat for a few minutes till it's dry...never had an issue with rust.

Smoking sometimes when I forget to turn it off on time however...yeah, that happens.

Top Bottom